AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Onkyo TX-SR507 and I had a question on connecting the Nintendo Wii... So from the receiver, I have the HDMI out connected to the HDMI input on my TV (Sony KDS-A2000). The wii is connected via Component + RCA to the receiver inputs. Now the question is, do I have to connect component + RCA connectors from the reciever to the TV or can I make it transmit the video and sound via HDMI?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another question I had..

Right now I have the WII component + RCA connected to the receiver and then component + RCA from the receiver to the TV....With the receiver OFF, I still get the WII sound but I do not get the video. Is there a way to get video too when the receiver off (sort of like a video pass thru?)

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
The 507 should be able to pass all your sources, regardless of input type, via HDMI to the TV, so no, you don't need to hook up component + RCA output to the TV. Read the manual for the receiver, because you'll need to enter the setup menu and designate input/output types.

Also, if your receiver is off, it can not pass video.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 507 is a good receiver, but it will not take a composite or component signal and turn it into an hmdi. If you want that feature you will need the TXSR607. It is well worth the price difference. The 607 will up convert your wii to 720p or 1080i, and it actually looks good. It has an HDMI in the front , better power, and a much better remote, I got my 507 to control one dvd and my tv, my 607 (returned and replaced) controls 2 dvds a blu-ray and my tv. I also have an xbox and a pc hooked up. The 607 lets you label the inputs. I found out on the 507 if you want to use your second zone speakers (which I do a lot) then you will be reduced to 2ch stereo in the main room, I found this unacceptable since the TXSR505 that I replaced did not even stoop to that level, I guess they had to remove some of the amplification to include the DTS HD and Dolby HD at that price point. If getting the 607 is not an option for you, you will simply need to match input and out put cable types. Or you can just use your tv to do all of the switching and set the receiver up as a slave unit. both will work, but you will still have to change inputs on the tv, there is no escaping it with the 507. On a side note, I sell this stuff and I am a huge Onkyo fan, I always recommend them over Yamaha Sony and Denon in comparable price ranges. The Onkyo receivers just get returned on me less often and seem to be easier for "the whole family" to use. I hope this was helpful.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I just purchased my TX-SR507 at a great price and have no intentions of returning it... I am very happy with it and the upgrades from my TX-SR501. I connected it via component + RCA thru the receiver. So there is no way to pass-thru the video via component when the receiver is off?? I am able to do this with HDMI (my cable box is connected to receiver via HDMI and then to TV via HDMI out and I get video and sound when the receiver is off).... Is there a such thing as component to HDMI converter that will allow me to pass-thru?

·
Registered
1 Posts
This may have been answered in another forum, but there is a setting under Setup menu item #7 that you can turn the HDMI on. The default is "off." When set to "on", this allows the TV sound and picture to be viewed when the reciver is off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.