AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here and a novice at HDTV. I bought a Panasonic plasma display - TH-42PWD4 - over a year ago and it has no DVI input but does have what they call "component/rgb"with connection terminals labeled - Y/g, Pb/B, Pr/R, HD, VD. The manual shows using all 5 inputs for a HDTV compatible unit. It also has a high - density D sub 15 pin - connection for a PC.

My question is am I limited to a STB that only hooks up with component cables?. Is there any way to convert DVI to any of these inputs? If not then what would be the best STB for this system. I live in a rural and Direc TV is the only option.

I really want to experience HDTV but feel handicapped by this old, expensive display.......what are my alternatives?

·
Registered
85 Posts
All HDTV STBs support component cables, so you are not limited to anything. I wouldnt convert DVI to component because it just does not make sense to convert digital to analog. For right now, just stick to component cables.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
There is no reason not to go RGB which is a better connection than component. Depending on the length of the cabling from the STB to the display you can either go with a VGA cable or a breakout and 5 coaxs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.