Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm trying to finish the purchase of my HT-from-scratch and am still having some trouble figuring out which projector to get! So far, I've all but decided to buy the Sanyo Z2 lcd PJ (or equivalent), but am taking a last gasp at looking into getting a crt instead. I've always thought about it, but only recently decided to really act on it.

I've had the Barco 808 recommended to me, but I just spoke with Curt Palme about it and it sounds like it will blow my budget (especially when adding a line doubler). Sounds like the Barco 801 or 800 are mroe in my range, and Curt mentioned an NEC model (didn't catch which one) that is 8" and has EM focussing on it that might be good, too...

Anyway - the main reason I'm posting is I'm wondering if anyone can provide me help in the Ottawa area? Does anyone have any PJs (in my $$ range) that can be seen before I make a decision? I would really like to get a chance to see some of these projectors to see whethr I want to buy them over the digital PJ. Reading about them is only so helpful! :)

My main concerns are PQ (the digitals look pretty good!), brightness (my wife is insistent that we be able to watch with at least conversation lighting), and noise level (so we can hear as well as see each other when in conversation, I guess :)). I would also of course be looking for how to make the crt behemoth work in a normal basement without being ultra-intrusive or dropping on someones head and killing them. That would put a damper on my HT kickoff party...

Oh - my budget for the PJ is about $3k (loonies/"dollarettes"). This includes everything I would need to match the functionality of the digital PJ I could get for this. So far I gather that the main extra bit is a line doubler... not usre if there are more surprises?

Any and all other helpful comments to convince me to go crt are also welcome!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I think kal is in the Ottawa area, and has a BG800. He should respond to the thread himself, the subject was very well written. :)

A BG800 may be a good projector for you. Its pretty easy to setup, quiet by most standards, can be easily be made silent with a simple husbox design. The machine has a long, but short (height wise) body, leaving lots of room under it. Some other projector designs like a Marquee, NEC, etc. are taller (but shorter in length) and thus drop lower into a room when hung. I find my Barco to be so quiet it really doesn't bother us at all, in fact I often forget its even on, and need to check the power lights. I think you and your wife would find the same thing, and if not, like I said, its very easy to put together a hushbox in a weekend and hang it around the projector for 100% silence.

Typically since you hang the projector right over your main seating area, you are bending down to sit, so having the ceiling suddenly get shorter right there isn't a big issue. I think many of our members have the projector dropping down to less than 6' of clearance under the projector, and still do fine with a couch right below it.

Hanging 200 lbs is a fun challenge, but use unistrut and tie into no less than 3 joists using 6 lag bolts. There's plenty of instructions on this forum on how to safely hang a CRT, the way the pros do it. It will require you opening the ceiling up, but you can close it back up again with new sheetrock panels.

Not sure how much light a BG800 would really throw out. Typically a CRT can push out quite a bit of light, enough to be very bright on an 8' wide screen with some well placed lighting in the room. I don't think its really going to be a problem for you to get "conversational lighting" if you make sure you place your lights in locations where they don't shine onto the screen. This is really quite easy in practice. Best viewing however will always be with full lights out, and should usally be the case for movies you really like or want to fully immerse yourself in.

With a BG800 you may really need a scaler (line tripler) more than a line doubler. HTPCs can be a good value, as they can produce a very good image and be pretty wife friendly if you either purchase a reputable prebuilt one, or spend a few hours researching it and putting it together yourself. My wife can't really tell the difference between our HTPC and our DVD player, she actually likes the HTPC better (and she is NOT technical).

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Qopit is a friend of mine.. He really wants a digital so I encouraged him to look at as many as he could in his price range so that he can see for himself the pros and cons of both digital technologies and not to rely on just these forums..

From this post, he at least now wants to look at the CRT option..I'm the one that recommended he go with the Barco 808 mainly because it meets all of his criteria..I also owned one so am aware of what it can do..

I'm suggesting an 8" EM crt over a starter 7" simply to future proof his investment.

I have gone from 7" to 8" to 9"..so to avoid you being tempted to upgrade, get something that does 720P nicely right off the bat and will look fantastic when HD-DVD happens..the extra cost gives you a better image from day one and amortized over a few years isn't that much more cost per year....

HTPC for you is the way to go..check out the HTPC forums for very inexpensive solutions using freeware software..

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
$3K CDN = about $2300.00 USD. That has to include a processor and cable.

I was recommending a minty or retubed 7 1/2" NEC PG series...

Curt

·
Premium Member
17,220 Posts
Buy 'em both! CRTs can actually hold their value or appreciate, I don't know what a used Z2 recoups.

One of those cheesy $200 Momitsu V880 scaling DVD set top boxes might be a good starting option if he doesn't want to dive into HTPC from day one.

But post good comparison pictures :), then let us know which one you're keeping.

-Clarence

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I would add that if you get a digital or a crt you'll want to use a hushbox, they will both annoy you if you appreciate a quiet room for movie watching. As for PQ, the crt will offer a much better dvd viewing experience, but I have found that HD lacks a little bit on the crt, perhaps this is because of my cheap transcoder....

The other issue that you should take into consideration is setup. You should feel comfortable putting your hands into one of these beasts to adjust magnets on the tubes etc etc. If you're that type of guy...then you should be considering a crt, if you're not....just get a digital.

BTW, I'm in Ottawa and I just bought an NEC 9PG Xtra which is considered an 8" em focus set. You could come over and check it out sometime if you wish.

Ben

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responses... everyone has been very helpful (especially John, thanks!).

I've been beavering away researching CRTs to get up to speed as quick as I can...

spearce: thanks for all the info... putting the crt over the couch is something I've heard before and seems to make perfect sense (even to my wife who at first thought crt was waaay to big :rolleyes: ), but I'm a bit confused as to how the PJ throw distance calculations work to match this... eg: if I have a 1.26x screen width thrown on a PJ (like the Ampro 3600?) and I have a 7' wide screen, my calculation seems to put the PJ only 8'10" back from the screen!! Hadn't been intending to sit that close, so the PJ would not end up being over the couch... am I missing something? I have the annoying disadvantage of being 6'4" so this is an issue for me. I have enough dents in my head.

marcorsyscom: I definitely plan on doing comparison pics on whatever i get - not just the PJ, either... very curious how much a difference the dvd player really makes, too. I'll be sure to follow your lead and make them as controversial as possible :D. Investigated the Momitsu... seems like more trouble than it's worth...

benareeno: thanks for the response! I'm definitely interested in seeing your NEC 9PG... I'll PM you if I can stay awake...

More work to do here... thanks again. :)

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I'm in Kingston and currently have a Marquee 8000 on the ceiling you are more than welcome to come look at. I'll be picking up an NEC XG 75 and a couple of Ampro's tomorrow in Ottawa. Email me directly for a phone number and directions if you want to come look. My Marquee's image helped Benareeno make the same type of decision.

·
Registered
330 Posts
qopit,

Well, I'm in a bit different position, as I currently HAVE a CRT and HTPC, and am moving away from them both to digital (DLP) and an upconverting DVD. You can search my recent threads for the rest of the story, but I can tell you that it was a long and difficult decision, and I will most certainly miss the PQ of this combo. If you enjoy tweaking, I would certainly endorse looking hard at CRT and HTPC. And if you stay digital I'd also like to hear more of your decision process on picking LCD and the Z2.

Tim

PS. you have a PM

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by qopit
spearce: thanks for all the info... putting the crt over the couch is something I've heard before and seems to make perfect sense (even to my wife who at first thought crt was waaay to big :rolleyes: ), but I'm a bit confused as to how the PJ throw distance calculations work to match this... eg: if I have a 1.26x screen width thrown on a PJ (like the Ampro 3600?) and I have a 7' wide screen, my calculation seems to put the PJ only 8'10" back from the screen!! Hadn't been intending to sit that close, so the PJ would not end up being over the couch... am I missing something? I have the annoying disadvantage of being 6'4" so this is an issue for me. I have enough dents in my head.
Check out this site, if you have not already: http://www.myhometheater.homestead.c...lculator.html.

Typically the best subtended viewing angle will put you right under the projector, unless you find a projector that has extremely long or short throw lenses. If you don't want to sit that close, perhaps build in two rows of seating, with your second row being your "primary" row, and make the front row your secondary seating for when you have lots of guests. This way there is still furniture in the way.

Some other folks have placed a large coffee table under the CRT, as a reminder not to walk where the table is. :) If the table is larger than the CRT, I don't think you'll walk into it, unless you move it to clean the floor under the table. In which case I'd suggest having someone shorter than yourself do that section of the floor. Plus, by having a table there, if the CRT does fall, odds are it would only crush a table and some soft drinks; as you are less likely to be sitting on a table than a couch. We haven't heard of falling CRTs yet though.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have 2 rows, one just in front and one behind the pj. Nonetheless, I am able to walk under the projector - and I only have 8' ceilings. Of course, the top of my image is pretty close to the ceiling also, but not uncomfortably so.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.