AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me for my ignorance, but I'm new to all of this.

I just purchased a 42" LCD TV, using it with a Comcast 3416 DVR box. I am told, and plan to, connect the TV to box via a HDMI cable.

My current set up is with a standard tube TV, and I will "upgrading" to the above set up.

I know I need to make some changes to the settings on the cable box and have some options on the TV side as well.

Can I ask for some guidance and instruction on a "migration" path.

Don't know if this belongs in this forum or the Comcast DVR one, so sorry for the cross post.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
312 Posts
It is definitely a change, while the standard CRT has only one mode 480i the HD TVs have 480 720 and 1080 in 2 flavors i and p. The best configuration that I have found is to let the cable box pass all modes through without any conversion and let the TV decide on how to display it.

When I first got my SA8300 HD-DVR box and connected it to my Aquos LCD it passed everything as 1080i and the TV would not automatically stretch the picture to full screen. This was anoying because each time I changed channels to a different format the screen changed size forcing me to manually stretch it. Now that my Cable box is setup right this happens automatically.

The first thing you want to do to that TV is take it out of showroom mode. They crank everything up so high to make it look brighter than the next guys TV. Turn down the backlighting as low as you can and still get a good vivid picture in your room. Turning the backlighting down will add life to your TV. The rest is just getting familiar with the TV and what it can and cant do, it takes a while to get it where you like it but once there they have an awesome picture.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_R /forum/post/0

It is definitely a change, while the standard CRT has only one mode 480i the HD TVs have 480 720 and 1080 in 2 flavors i and p. The best configuration that I have found is to let the cable box pass all modes through without any conversion and let the TV decide on how to display it.

When I first got my SA8300 HD-DVR box and connected it to my Aquos LCD it passed everything as 1080i and the TV would not automatically stretch the picture to full screen. This was anoying because each time I changed channels to a different format the screen changed size forcing me to manually stretch it. Now that my Cable box is setup right this happens automatically.

The first thing you want to do to that TV is take it out of showroom mode. They crank everything up so high to make it look brighter than the next guys TV. Turn down the backlighting as low as you can and still get a good vivid picture in your room. Turning the backlighting down will add life to your TV. The rest is just getting familiar with the TV and what it can and cant do, it takes a while to get it where you like it but once there they have an awesome picture.

Thanks BarryR. I appreciate your help. How do I ensure that my cable box is set up to do this? I have a Comcast DVR....3416, I think. Thanks so much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.