AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a da-lite hi power screen and am seeing Halos around whites and colors. Do I need to lower the brightness of the projector?

Also from 1.5x distance the picture is not as good as it is from 2.5x distance. I see pixels. Is it because I have a high power screen?

Can someone help me or send me some settings for L300u that I need to change to get the best out of the High Power screen. I would greatly appriciate it.

Or do I need to go with video spectra?

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
How do you have the projector installed (e.g., ceiling mount with a large lens-to-screen-to-eye angle, table mount with a small lens-to-screen-to-eye angle)?

What size is the screen (height x width)?

What mode do you have the L300U in (e.g., Dynamic, Cinema, low power/fan on, etc.)?

Have you calibrated this setup using VE or Avia?

What source material (e.g., specific DVD, satellite, cable, HD, etc.) shows halos?

·
Registered
417 Posts
A-ha! A negative about Hi-Power!

Halos around bright parts of the scenes.

Although, this seems to be rather an isolated incident.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
screen size - 52x92

mount - Table

L300u mode- Cinema, Low Power

No calibration just recommendations from this forum which worked pretty well when projecting on the wall.

Source - DVD panasonic RP62

·
Registered
76 Posts
rbk,

Consider adding a Hoya FL-DAY filter to your projector. I found that the white was too punchy without the filter when using the high power and the 711XU in low mode. The FL-DAY also assisted in color accuracy, by making the green level more correct, and slightly improving black level.

Of course the drawback is some loss to brightness, but I find the image brightness to be comfortable with plently of ambient light in the room.

In addition, the image was too bright during night viewing with no filter present. Adding the filter is a way to get slightly better blacks and maintain a great contrast level.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
You're probably hitting around 25+ ftL, which shouldn't be too bright in a light controlled room (but it's still pretty bright).

Do you see halos for the projector's on-screen menus? The more I think about it, the halos could be a function of your video cabling--poorly constructed cable and/or long runs of cable can introduce ringing and ghosting artifacts. Can you switch out your cable? If you have a long run, can you temporarily move the DVD player closer to the projector and use a short cable to see if this changes anything?

Also, some DVDs (e.g., Star Wars Phantom Menace) have excessive edge enhancement, which presents itself as thin-to-wide halos surrounding objects with sharp contrast transitions. There's not much you can do about this, but I seriously doubt that EE is the sole variable in your situation.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried last night moving to my left,right and further back while viewing and discovered that the picture was much more better outside the cone of the Hi Power which is about 30 degrees. Better contrast, smoother and not washed out or extremely bright in sunny scenes. Would the Hoya FL-DAY filter help and if yes where can I buy it from? I have also changed the component cables form A2Zcables to Bluejeans.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Can't you compare the picture on a plain wall vs. the high power?

BSN, AHA! as well! I knew it couldn't be perfect like they said :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Are you planning on leaving it table-mounted? Most people are using a ceiling mount application of the 300u with the HP. Not all of course, but most do as the 300u is plenty bright, and being on the other side of the normal gives you just enough gain without it being too bright.

I just setup my hi-power with a 300u, but never would have got the HP if I couldn't ceiling mount.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what you are recommending makes sense because the picture is better from all over but just from behind the projector. What can I use to cieling mount it as close to the cieling as possible? Some sort of plate? Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rkb
What can I use to cieling mount it as close to the cieling as possible? Some sort of plate? Any suggestions?
The Panasonic ET-PKE300 is the "official" ceiling mount for the L300U, but it'll set you back $340 or so. Chief's RPA-225 works just the same for about $160. RitzAV sells both. I'm sure some enterprising soul here has fabricated their own mount for less money, though, so you may want to do a search.

Before going to the trouble of changing to a ceiling mount (never underestimate the trouble of routing cables *and* a power source to the ceiling), seriously consider trying a filter as mentioned earlier.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Bascially you have two ways to go as mentioned, either ceiling mount it which will cut down on the gain of the screen or use the filter. The Chief mount would as mentioned would work well and is reasonably priced

·
Registered
315 Posts
And if you buy a screen and/or Chief mount, make sure you by it from the smiling guy in the post above this!

I ordered my model-B Hp Da-Lite and Chief mount from Dan. He is a great guy and very knowledgeable. He went the extra-mile to answer my questions and provided excellent customer support once the order was placed. Thanks, Dan!

-Tim

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
I totally blanked on AVS as a source for the mounts. Mea culpa!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.