AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I hope this is a good place to post this. I am currently shopping for a new Home Theater System. I am by no means an expert so I was hoping to get the opinions of a few experts...

I am trying to decide between getting a Home Theater in a Box or trying to build my own system. I have heard building your own is better and it would be nice to be able to add on in the future.

I have ~$400 to work with right now and my old Sony AVD-K800P HTIB system to steal pieces from/sell for a little extra money.

My goals for this system are: To be able to hook my laptop up to it through HDMI to watch blue rays/browse the internet, Play Xbox 360, and watch DVDs.

My latest thought was to get:

Energy Take 5 pack: They are on sale for ~$165
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882269004

and a receiver(advice please!) for ~$200-220

Then I would steal the 10" Sub that came with my old Sony setup and use that until I can afford an upgraded sub. (The Sub is not powered I don't think, would this cause problems?)

Of course, if there is a HTIB I can get that would meet my needs for cheaper/would come with a nice sub that would be nice too!

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance to anyone who managed to read all the way through it!

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
A non powered sub won't work with a receiver. Their sub outs are line level.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1678 /forum/post/17011789

I am trying to decide between getting a Home Theater in a Box or trying to build my own system. I have heard building your own is better and it would be nice to be able to add on in the future.

One of the cost cutting measure in a lot of HTiBs is that they are designed to only operate as a unit. So it's difficult to re-use parts from them as you are finding out .

I would strongly consider adding pieces one at a time vs trying to replace things in one chunk. Just get a new center channel, save up and buy a pair of bookshelf mains that you could then move to being rear/side surrounds when you have the money saved up for a really good pair of floor standing mains.

When you have a very limited amount of money to spend (and $400 is very limited if you look at the prices of good speakers/hardware). You're going to be much better off not trying to make that money stretch over multiple pieces of equipment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts