AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using DD 5.1 with XBox, and the DD 5.1 is working (the DD light lights up on my receiver, and it sounds awesome), but... I am getting annoying "stutters" or "pauses" which almost sound like its having a hard time keeping up. Stereo through the RCA connectors doesn't have these stutters/pauses.

My setup is:

XBox

XBox HD av pack (component video and optical audio connections)

Kenwood HTB-504 (Kenwood vr-507 receiver)

For cables I just have a generic optical cable I picked up, and the speaker wires which came with the Kenwood HTB-504. I don't have monster audio cables or anything. Could that be the problem?

I haven't used my receiver with any other DD source. I got it just for the XBox, and I don't have a DVD player or another DD 5.1 source to test the receiver with.

·
Registered
12,357 Posts
As X-box is pretty new, we don't have much history to go on. I doubt it is the optical connector or the decoder, but it would help to try a DVD player with a DD movie just to make sure. Maybe one of your buddies who is eager to see X-box can bring one over??

Also, could you explain a bit more about the stutters? Do they happen at random, frequent/infrequent, in relation to anything "on-screen" such as scene changes or other actions? With any particular games or all of them?

If you want to contact Dolby directly about this, feel free to email to [email protected] .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same exact problem, super frustrating.

Dashboard works fine set to DD 5.1 or normal stereo.

Games break up IMMEDIATELY at the opening movie or bungie logo, etc.

Dashboard set to DD 5.1 DISABLED, optical passes perfect 2-channel sound to reciever.In addition, regular RCA stereo cables from the HD-AV pack running to the TV output perfect 2-channel sound.

Microsoft HD-AV pack.

First used Moster Gamelink fiber optic cable.

Then tried an RCA BRAND fiber optic cable.

Tried optical cables with my DVD player's optical out to test: cables pass 5.1 from my dvd to my reciever perfectly.

Reciever is Sony DA333ES DD5.1/DTS.Microsoft tech support has no clue and claims I am the only one with the problem. They act like they never heard of my problem but I am reading of a number of customers with the exact same symptoms.Problem is identical with DOA and HALO.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the same setup and software with NO problems.

Xbox

HD AV box

Toslink cable

Halo, DOA3 and Project Gotham run great and sound is beautiful with no stutter

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am beginning to think it is just a defective audio chip in a small handful of Xbox's. Everyone else I have seen who has reported this problem has said the same thing -

That DD works with their DVD player and the same optical cable, so its not the cable or receiver. Also I've tried a different HD av pack, different optical cables, and even the Monster Xbox HD av pack instead of the Microsoft one, and still it stutters constantly.

I am going to exchange my Xbox for a new one as soon as the store gets more in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.