AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been trying to get the time to set up the ECP I have been playing with. This weekend I tried to turn it on and got no response. I get the "ready" light, but no other sound or lights. It was working fine previously and had been unplugged since the last time I powered it up. It's a late '97 unit. Should I try a reset? Any other easy answers?

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Sir

A green Ready lite means that the control board is getting DC power from the power entry module; does the LED on the wired keypad blink when keys are pressed? If so then the wired keypad and IR sensor should be getting power; you could have a blown fuse or other fault in the low voltage supply; if so, you would not see seven green LEDs on the back panel; if you have the seven LEDs but no image you may have a failed HVPS, a failed H sweep module, or a failed V sweep module; the chassis is designed to detect faults and not switch high voltage on without correct sweep running.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response Tim. You guys here are the best.

The only led I have lit is "ready". The only other reponse I get is about a half second after I plug the 110v cable in, I hear a slight click from the area of the 110v power supply as though a relay is engaging. I had previously removed the wired remote and added batteries and I/R led to make it into a wireless remote. The LED still pulses. It was working fine, and I verified that I still have I/R output by viewing the I/R emitter pulses with my digital camera. Does the wired remote need to remain in order for the PJ to function? I'm assuming not because it worked without it before.

Tonight, I removed the back panel and reseated all the boards and tried hitting the red reset button to no avail. I saw no signs of anything burned back there and smelled nothing out of the ordinary. I am now reciting the prayer of all amateur troubleshooters "maybe it's a fuse?" But...ummm where to find the fuse? Actually I am fairly adept at using test equipment and have a multimeter handy. If you can steer me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

Joe

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Did it "ever" work with your IR mod? If not, that's most likely the problem, despite your attempts at IR confirmation. Don't go troubleshooting other areas of the PJ until you've worked this issue out.

·
Registered
594 Posts
This may sound stupid but the 9V battery you added to the remote- is it new? I spent a few hours recently troubleshooting a bug only to find the damn battery was low in the remote. It would not power up/down and only half the keys seem to work. However, the wired remote worked fine...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ARGHHH...lol Although the batteries that were in the remote measured at 1.5V just as they should, I replaced them with new ones that measured 1.6V and it works fine. Someone smack me on the back of the head please? I have read about ten posts with the same problem/solution yet I was so sure that wasn't mine! Sorry for wasting your time guys...but thanks!

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JPPadula
ARGHHH...lol Although the batteries that were in the remote measured at 1.5V just as they should, I replaced them with new ones that measured 1.6V and it works fine.
Did you measure the batteries under load? I get about 1.6 V out of fresh alkaline cells with no load.. If it's much less that this (1.55V, etc.) the cell us usually depleted. I suspect if you measured the voltage in the remote while depressing a control button, the voltage would be considerably below 1.5V.

-Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.