Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

After getting the Pioneer 533 a couple of weeks ago, I'm ready to look at getting HD reception now. I've been a directv customer since mid 90's (Sony SATbd2 ), and have no real complaints. So, I've read Directv is going DVI...is this only output? BIG Q?: Am I safe getting a reciever like the Zenith 1080 now and be assured that the component output will output HD in the future after Directv goes DVI??? Or should I wait for the next generation of reciever/Zeniths that'll have the dvi output...even though it's of no use to me as the 533 has no input.

Or should I ditch Directv and go with the Dish 6000? Would this be safer? Seems content and price are pretty similar.

Sorry for the length, but I'd really like some help figuring what to do.

Thanks alot!

Chris

·
Registered
271 Posts
Good questions all, these are the burning questions of our hobby. You might have trouble finding the DTV1080; a new model has been preannounced with DVI, still appears it will have analog outputs too but will they have the hi bitrate?

No one can be assured by anyone of anything with respect to full HD analog outputs on the new boxes; in that sense, no purchase is a terribly safe investment now. This is consumer entertainment, there are no guarantees (except perhaps the "Mitsubishi Promise" if you want to stay with that one brand for stb and display). Basically a rotten time to buy, but maybe near the end of the "good 'ol days" for those of us already enjoying HD unconstrained and essentially free of charge.

Good luck!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As long as Directv/Dish continues to feed component in addition to this DVI, we'd be set. Have they announced anything like that?

I really hope they ...dbs, cable...just don't dump all the current owners of HD tv's w. no DVI.

·
Super Moderator
18,447 Posts
That would be like a gas station switching to hydrogen-only. I don't think they'll dump today's paying customers for a technology only about ten people own. Not good business.

It took this many years to get what few HDTVs there are out there.. I doubt DVI will penetrate the market overnight, if at all. Not every manufacturer is committed to it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.