AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get the best bang-for-the-buck setup. I'm trying to decide which setup will be better in terms of power and features.

One option is to get a more expensive receiver and the other option is to get a less expensive receiver, but with more built-in features and adding an outboard amp. Both setups will cost about the same. Any pros or cons to these setups? What would you recommend?

1. Yamaha RX-V867 $480 and Emotiva UPA-2 $300 = $780 total

OR

2. Pioneer SC-35 $750+tax

My budget is around $800, but I'm not limited to just these receivers. If you have something else in mind that would be better, please feel free to share.

Thanks

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
What speakers do you own? How large is your listening room?

If the speakers are a difficult load an external amp might be a good idea. 4ohm speakers and large rooms are usually what dictate external amps. The SC-35 has a fairly decent amp section.

Other options might be an Onkyo or Denon on closeout at around that budget price.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My speakers are MartinLogan Motion 12s (4ohm speakers). The actual room is 13x20, but the listening area is only about 13x13.

But regardless of which speakers and room size, which setup do you think would be better?

Since both cost about the same, it sounds like erring on the side of an external amp would be better, especially if I decided to get more power hungry speakers down the road or move them into a larger room.

Thanks

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
Many of the better home theater speakers are more efficient - not less so. I'm always on the side of more power especially when there are 4ohm speakers involved but there is also the consideration of what better electronics bring too. More bells and whistles - and I like that too. Since you sit so close to the speakers you might want to try out the SC-35 sans the amp and see how it works. The ICE amp in the SC-35 is fairly powerful but if you find it doesn't drive the speakers satisfactorily then get a small pro amp like the Behringer A500 for $199 shipped from B&H Photo-Video. Cheap and powerful and can handle 2ohm loads and can be bridged into 4ohm loads. You can almost buy two of them for the price of the UPA-2.

I'd take the SC-35 in a heartbeat over the RX-V867.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.