AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently preparing to buy my first HT. And I'm really excited (seriously keeps me up at night)

I haven't bought anything yet, but my saving is almost complete.

Here is what I plan on purchasing sometime in September (probably wait for labor day sales)

TV: Samsung PN-50B650 - around $1350

Blu-Ray: PS3 (hopefully a slim) - around $300 (hopefully)

Speakers: Energy take classic 5.1 - around $350

and I already have a Wii.

Now that I have pretty much decided on all of those. I'm trying to figure out which receiver I should get to make this all come together. I can't really afford to go over $400, but I know there are some pretty good receivers out there for around this price.

Please know that I'm getting this set up for my condo which has a living room thats a nice size, but not huge. I can't really have sound that is rumbling the walls because of neighbors, but I would love to enjoy movies and music with the clearest/richest sound possible. And from what I've read, what I have so far seems to be the right direction, just need the last component.

The models I'm really looking at getting currently are:

Onkyo TX-SR507 for around $350

Pioneer VSX-819 for around $275

Yamaha RX-V465 for around $330 (although I heard it's impossible to upgrade this to 7.1 surround someday, which may be the case for the other two, but I wasn't sure.)

Again this is my first Home Theatre set up and while I want it to be great, I can't afford to spend a ton. I would appreciate any help or opinions on what I plan to purchase already along with which receiver I should get.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
750 Posts
I would either go with the Onkyo or the Denon that phantom52 recommended, with an edge to the Denon. The Pioneer receivers don't really get "good" until the 919 or the 1019, and I've heard low end Yamaha tend to be under-powered when driving all 5 channels.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
The HK 254 from Harman's eBay store would be my first pick with Denon following very closely.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the same basic Question, Even settled on the same Energy Speakers. I was looking at Pioneer 1018, Yamaha 465, ONKYO SR606, Denon 1709, Sony DH800 and HK 254 (but I realize that since I took a break from looking, some of these may have been replaced/upgraded). What are your thoughts on the different brands (are there fatal flaws with any of them like the supposed color problems on the Yamaha passthrough cutting off Black and white...or so I've heard) and what about those as options for around the neighborhood of $400?

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilly7 /forum/post/16909876

I have the same basic Question, Even settled on the same Energy Speakers. I was looking at Pioneer 1018, Yamaha 465, ONKYO SR606, Denon 1709, Sony DH800 and HK 254 (but I realize that since I took a break from looking, some of these may have been replaced/upgraded). What are your thoughts on the different brands (are there fatal flaws with any of them like the supposed color problems on the Yamaha passthrough cutting off Black and white...or so I've heard) and what about those as options for around the neighborhood of $400?

Right now my vote is still the DENON1910. ABT, plenty of connections, plenty of power and a value for what you are paying for. The only drawback is its lack of pre-outs for adding an amp if you wanted to in the future. If that's something you're not considering then its the one to audition. Second choice would be the HK 254. The other ones all seem to have some problem or another. Onkyo(heat)Pioneer,Yamaha,Sony doubt very seriously they meet their respective power specs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Phantom, thanks for the response. The 1910 might be a bit out of my price range, being around $150 over the $400 I am trying to get close to. The HK 254 looks like it has everything and I saw it at some places like J&R for under $400, Are there any others that could be found under $500 that are comperable? My first thought was the Yamaha 465 (won't ever need 7.1 for this room) so what do you think of the product for the price ($330 at vanns)?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Are we all doing the same thing? I'm in the same situation:

Already have the PS3

Going with the Energy take classic 5.1

Trying to decide on a receiver.

I'm sort of stuck between the Onkyo 507 and the Denon 1619. I like the HK 254 but dont really want to deal with ebay.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Please do not go to a website for the Denon 1910 receiver and just look at the price they have listed. They are required to post MSRP for these unless they are open box or re-furb units. You have to call them and ask for their price. This is done whether its OneCall, J&R, 6 AVE., or any other authorized dealer. The price you get from the phone call will be less and worth the few minutes doing it. Same thing goes for those looking at the HK 254. You don't have to buy from E-Bay unless you want to get a refurb directly from HK. Besides that there is nothing wrong with factory refurb from HK. At least they have the latest updates and their kinks have been worked out. As for the Yamaha 465 thats one I wouldn't consider until someone does a full test on it. Not a review, a test, which gives you everything you need to know about it. Not what Yamaha states it will do. I doubt that anyone will be testing this model though. Too far down the chain for most considerations and the cost of testing an AVR of this caliber not worth it to most sites. I may be wrong, but would also be shocked. So far this years offerings from Yamaha have been less than stellar. Not Yamaha's usual start to the new model year. If you want to save money on a good AVR spend a few minutes on the phone and get these vendors actual prices and not the website posted ones. Read this thread and you'll understand what I'm talking about. It is only three pages and as for the deals at 6 ave you can problably still get them if you act fast.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1153609&page=3

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/16911039

Please do not go to a website for the Denon 1910 receiver and just look at the price they have listed. They are required to post MSRP for these unless they are open box or re-furb units. You have to call them and ask for their price. This is done whether its OneCall, J&R, 6 AVE., or any other authorized dealer. The price you get from the phone call will be less and worth the few minutes doing it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1153609&page=3

So other than the 1910 are there any other comperable AVR's that when you call the company could drop to around that $400 range?

Also, I have been looking for AVR's with TrueHD and HD decoders and I was wondering how necessary is that? Would you prefer one that does or is it irrelevant with BD players already doing that for us? Would it benefit Clear QAM TV channels that come through in HD?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilly7 /forum/post/16909876

That's old news. Far as I know the new Yamahas don't clip full range video. And it was hardly a fatal flaw, if you read up on it a bit

Reasons for not looking at the 465 are probably the power supply, and the lack of input flexibility. Someone also reported some issue that I forget, and I don't know if I saw confirmed, on the 665. You can see the thread for details.

I was not real impressed with the x65 line, I am sorry to say. But some people are very happy with their x65 receiver.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilly7 /forum/post/16920720

So other than the 1910 are there any other comperable AVR's that when you call the company could drop to around that $400 range?

Also, I have been looking for AVR's with TrueHD and HD decoders and I was wondering how necessary is that? Would you prefer one that does or is it irrelevant with BD players already doing that for us? Would it benefit Clear QAM TV channels that come through in HD?

Yes, the HK 254 is quite capable of doing all you want. It's irrelevent unless you are one those people that just has to see DTS Master or Dolby True Hd on their receivers display. MPCM is the same . However the 254 will display what you want. You can also look into the Pioneer 919. There are very good prices on these two at J&R.com. Also give a look at the Denon 1610, which is well within your budget and will also problably do all you want.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok, I have called a few places (jr, 6ave, ww stereo etc) and most of them are just quoting me the prices on the website with very few exceptions. There was a deal on the ONKYO 607 for $399 shipping included, but I figured that the HK ebay store had a buy now for 298 with free shipping and that might be a better deal.

Just to clarify, I am currently running cable straight from my wall to my Sammy 40" and using the clear QAM tuner in the TV to pick up free HD, not my cable box (which currently isn't an HD box because I don't want to pay for it when I get the HD channels I want for free with basic cable). Is that a problem? Are some receivers better than others at dealing with this setup? Do I NEED to get an HD box to get HD audio from my Cable? I also have a xbox 360, Wii, and likely my laptop will be my BD player.

If there is a receiver better suited to handle what I am looking for please help! SO far I am considering the HK 254, Pio 1019, Denon 1610 (how's the 1609 or 1709?) and the ONKYO 507 or 607. Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
29,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilly7 /forum/post/16920720

Cable, satellite or your QAM tuner do not put out HD audio like a blu ray player. The best you'll get is dolby digital 5.1 which is still very good. Any basic home theater receiver with an optical input can decode that.

If you do plan to get a blu ray player in the future, TrueHD decoding would be nice to have in your receiver. And the newest models pretty much come with that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok, thanks for all the help, What I think I will do is get the HK 254 refurbished from the HK ebay store either auction or BIN for $293 w/ free shipping. Then Acoustic Sound Design is doing a Take 5 Classic 5.1 system with an upgrade to the H100 Sub from Acoustech for $399 (and there even seems to be a name your own price option!). How does that sound for a system that I need EVERYTHING including tax to be under $800? (not even a cent over my wife says! I should be lucky for her to approve that!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts