AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everybody. I'm about to get a new TV and have narrowed it doen to three choices. The first is the KD-36XS955, the second is the KD-40XBR700, and the third is the KD-36XBR800. I can get the XBR 700 for about $225 less than than the 995 and the 800 for about $45 less than the 700. Just wondering what people think. Thanks

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
The latter two are very old models the 40XBR700 is at least 3 years old. The 36XS955 is a brand new model that has the newer higher resolution super-fine-pitch HD CRT, those older models have an older lower res CRT - no comparison.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
it sounds like you are shopping along the same lines as me. I was jumping in-between a KV-36HS420 (no tuner), a KD-34XBR960 (nice nice nice), a KV-40XBR800 (too expensive), the KD-36XS955 (4:3) or KD-34XS955(16:9), as well as checking out similarly-priced RPTVs.

I found the direct views to have superior image quality (even after playing with the settings in-store) to any of the RPTVs (angle of view problems mainly). I compared the 34XS955 to a KD-34XBR960 and I couldn't discern much of a difference (jumping in-between rooms, however). The XBR has some funky multi-picture ability as well as more extensive DRC adjustments for standard-def. Other than that, the menus seemed exactly the same to me, and picture quality was nearly similar. IMHO, I found the XS to be a fantastic set for the money, and the XBR did not seem worth an extra $500 TO ME. I can't wait to see a 36" example (there was none in store), and I can't wait to get it when the funds come in :) Sony is offering a free stand with it at the moment too.....

Back to your specific sets though - It looks like you are comparing three different model years. Check on newer features like cable card, integrated tuners, sony mem stick, HDMI, etc if you want them. The XS is the newest. Also, Keep in mind if you are buying "open box" you are probably buying the floor model that has been running 24/7 on the shelf in the store for X-years.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I have the KD-34XS955. The PQ is awesome when feeding it HD or 480i DVD (converted to 960). It has the same CRT as the more expensive XBR but does not have PIP, adjustable DRC (does have DRC though). It's a beautiful set. Viewing HD or DVD on the Sony makes it difficult to watch movies on my Panasonic AE300 and Toshiba 65" RPTV.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RobZ
I have the KD-34XS955. ... but does not have PIP, adjustable DRC (does have DRC though). ...
Hi, how often do you change the DRC settings when going from SD to DVD to VCR?

I'm trying to decide if the adjustable DRC on the 960 is worthwhile or go with the 955.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I was really going back and forth but, thanks to your help, I'm going to order the 36xs955. I called a couple of stores today and was told that they are on back order so I'll have to wait untill mid-November. That's ok, I can wait a few more weeks. Again, thanks, all of the advice really helped!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
great! congrats! I bet you will love it....now I just have to get one myself...Iam 95% decided, but can't get it until I move to Nebraska...which is in march...NOT COOL (to have to wait). It's killing me! Anyhow, keep us updated on how it is when you get it...good luck

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I'm still waiting, I hope to have it in two weeks. I can't wait! I'll let you know what i think when I get it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.