AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

First I want to say I'm new to this forum and I don't know exactly where to pose this question. Secondly, I don't know why exactly, although this is just an internet forum, I feel intimidated when posting this. Maybe because I'm asking about low-end HTiB stuff in an audiophile forum? Heh. I usually go to RedFlagDeals to pose these questions but I feel that they have either grown tired of answering Audio questions and that it'd probably be better to go to a audio dedicated forum.

Let's get things started then shall we? I'm a newb in this scene, but I'm interested in learning otherwise I wouldn't even be posting here.

I just bought an HDTV (NS-42L780A12 if anyone is interested or if its relevant) and I'm looking to match it up with a cheap HTiB set that I will NOT be upgrading. I will be selling it off to a friend close to boxing day OR putting into the guest/tennants bedroom, and then buying my first real home theater set piece by piece during the holiday season. I want to mention some things:

1) This will be for a bedroom, I suppose Small/medium size? Like an apartment suite, I don't have the exact numbers for it. Best guess is something like 12 or 11'x9 or 8'?

2) It has to have tower speakers cause' my friend that may take it off me later on says he wants a set with them. I mean, I do admit, tower speakers are aesthetically pleasing.

3) Small budget, since it's temp. When I mean small, I mean 300ish all in type of small.

4) Need a set by late August/early September.

So here are my choices, the source is great for cheap stuff.

--

Samsung's HT-D5330

- www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/samsung-samsung-1000-watt-5-1-channel-3d-blu-ray-home-theatre-system-ht-d5330-ht-d5330/10166806.aspx?path=d02b4c63e64d6ad5d375a21233bb87a den02

and LG's HB906PA

- www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/lg-electronics-lg-1100-watt-5-1-channel-blu-ray-home-theatre-system-hb906pa-hb906pa/10167587.aspx?path=71999fd60491d399a5fd54bb7edc831 den02

--

I think what it comes down to is outputs/inputs? Both are really lacking TBH, but what can I expect. I watch 720/1080p rips of shows/movies and play on my PS3. I'll sometimes use my computer as a HTPC. I will also be using a tablet to connect to my TV via hdmi. Essentially at once I'll be using two different HDMI enabled electronics and my PC (via DVI) to my TV. Everything is generally for HD content.

I've read that the TZ510 has no optical input or something? It seems really important but I'm not exactly sure why. I've read/heard that you need it for true 5.1 sound? The TZ322 is clearance and I will not be able to return it, which is why I want to make an informed decision before I purchase. Both are passive subs...? How do you tell the difference?

Lastly, should I pull the trigger at all on these two sets? Or should I wait for better deals later in August or early September? My budget will stay the same, all in 300ish (little more for the environmental fee/shipping/tax).

Thanks for any input and help,

Transcend

P.S. if I'm in the wrong sub-forum could someone tell me for future reference? Thanks.

·
Registered
19,744 Posts
Yamaha YHT-395BL is around your price point but it doesn't have tower speakers. The receiver is very nice for the price point and doesn't have a built-in DVD-BD.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would steer clear of the HTIB's that are powered by a DVD or Bluray player. You will regret having to start all over down the road.

I know a budget is usually not extremely flexible, but if you can up your budget to 400, you can go w/ something like the Onkyo HT-S5400. You'll have to look around a little to find it at that price, but a google search should help out. Your post says you don't need it right away, so save your $300 for now and add another 100 to in in the next few weeks, if possible.

It's not audiophile quality by any means, but for the money, they Onkyo HTIB's are pretty hard to beat. You'll get an actual AVR + 7.1 setup w/ a powered sub. The 3400 and most of the DVD systems use passive subs which get power from the DVD player like the other speakers as opposed to having a built in amp.

There are some other options, too, you'll just need to look around and do some research.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspfunk /forum/post/20770887

I would steer clear of the HTIB's that are powered by a DVD or Bluray player. You will regret having to start all over down the road.

I know a budget is usually not extremely flexible, but if you can up your budget to 400, you can go w/ something like the Onkyo HT-S5400. You'll have to look around a little to find it at that price, but a google search should help out. Your post says you don't need it right away, so save your $300 for now and add another 100 to in in the next few weeks, if possible.

It's not audiophile quality by any means, but for the money, they Onkyo HTIB's are pretty hard to beat. You'll get an actual AVR + 7.1 setup w/ a powered sub. The 3400 and most of the DVD systems use passive subs which get power from the DVD player like the other speakers as opposed to having a built in amp.

There are some other options, too, you'll just need to look around and do some research.

Thanks for the input!

The reason I'm choosing between these two cheap sets, and non upgradeable, is because I'll be selling these off to my friend or putting them in the tenants room (just to up the rent price a little). I'm not losing any money either way. Like I said I'll be purchasing decent equipment in the holiday season.

So with that, may I ask which you would choose between the two? The only reason I'm leaning towards the Samsung is because it has an optical out and it's 1000 watts. Is there any other deciding factor I should think about?

Thanks,

Transcend

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson.tang.91 /forum/post/0

Thanks for the input!

The reason I'm choosing between these two cheap sets, and non upgradeable, is because I'll be selling these off to my friend or putting them in the tenants room (just to up the rent price a little). I'm not losing any money either way. Like I said I'll be purchasing decent equipment in the holiday season.

So with that, may I ask which you would choose between the two? The only reason I'm leaning towards the Samsung is because it has an optical out and it's 1000 watts. Is there any other deciding factor I should think about?

Thanks,

Transcend

Honestly in your budget power ratings mean nothing. When you have $800-3000 to spend on a receiver along that's when you can look at power. The "1000 watts" on the samsung is a joke and false statement and probably refers to one peak in the power... Company's use high power numbers to confused uninformed shoppers

Stay away from these all in one systems as they are disposable htib when one part breaks or you want an upgrade down the line you will have to throw the whole system out.

With something like the Onkyo HT-5400 you will have an easier time upgrading and replacing the broken part (if that happens) saving you from throwing the whole thing out and starting all over

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/20772792

Honestly in your budget power ratings mean nothing. When you have $800-3000 to spend on a receiver along that's when you can look at power. The "1000 watts" on the samsung is a joke and false statement and probably refers to one peak in the power... Company's use high power numbers to confused uninformed shoppers

Stay away from these all in one systems as they are disposable htib when one part breaks or you want an upgrade down the line you will have to throw the whole system out.

With something like the Onkyo HT-5400 you will have an easier time upgrading and replacing the broken part (if that happens) saving you from throwing the whole thing out and starting all over

Yes thank you. However, the point is for these to be "disposable''. Something to pique the interest of tenants and my friend just wants something other than his TV for audio.

Please allow me to stress this. These are NOT for myself in the end. I will not be losing any money here. I will be buying powered subs, receivers, etc in the holiday season and those will be the ones I'm building. These are temporary in every definition

Thanks for your input though. That particular Onkyo set is my low budget option. In the holiday season I hopefully will have anywhere between 1.5-4 grand to spend on a system depending on work. So trust me when I say this, I am fine for future proofing and this purchase is temporary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright guys. Much to my dismay, after a lot more research I decided against the sets like you guys forewarned me. However, I can't go for the sets you guys want me to because it has no tallboys.

Now these, these have tallboys:

Samsung's HT-D5330

- www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/samsung-samsung-1000-watt-5-1-channel-3d-blu-ray-home-theatre-system-ht-d5330-ht-d5330/10166806.aspx?path=d02b4c63e64d6ad5d375a21233bb87a den02

and LG's HB906PA

- www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/lg-electronics-lg-1100-watt-5-1-channel-blu-ray-home-theatre-system-hb906pa-hb906pa/10167587.aspx?path=71999fd60491d399a5fd54bb7edc831 den02

Which should I go for? 8D

They have a lot of fancy stuff I don't quite understand, and it's 2:30 am so I'm very tired. One sale ends tomorrow so yeah and I'm very busy. Can't do any more research or I'll die tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
I think the point that some are trying to make...GET A REAL receiver! Some of the HTIB have a real AVR, other have a blue ray player with a crappy Amp...

·
Registered
44 Posts
After reading your posts from later yesterday, I don't think it will really matter which you go with. I wouldn't buy speakers from a company that generally makes TV's... So I would choose a Sony setup over the Samsung or LG.

Honestly, for your situation, I'd just go w/ the best deal that meets your needs. Also, you can get speaker stands for $30 if you can't find a system w/ tower speakers...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.