AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I've been referenced here by my brother who said he read a 100+ page thread on his TV before he bought it, said I can get some very good advice and insight from the people here. I'm looking to buy a flat panel TV, 37 or 42 inches, preferably 42 inches. I'm not looking to spend more then 1000$ dollars. Here are some things to consider:

- I'm a gamer. A XBOX 360 will be hooked up to it always and a Wii will be as well, but not always.

- Sports fan, I watch a lot of sports.

- Would use it occasionally for watching DVD movies, but not often.

- The watchers would usually be sitting 8-12 feet away from the TV.

- Not going to need to hook it up to a computer.

I haven't decided between Plasma or LCD, and I read that the difference between 1080p and 720p is not noticeable unless someone is sitting closer then 4 feet to the TV. I could use some advice to help swing me one way.

Any suggestions? Another thing, the TV will be in a room extension that is generally warmer and more humid then the rest of the house, would that be a significant problem?

I've been looking at the 47" Vizio VP422, which is 747$ from Walmart. Good choice or not?

Thanks in advance to any helpful replies.

·
Registered
181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AS89 /forum/post/14201591

I've been looking at the 47" Vizio VP422, which is 747$ from Walmart. Good choice or not?

Thanks in advance to any helpful replies.

There's a Vizio thread somewhere in the plasma forum...

Well, from what I've read there, the set will generate a lot of buzz, but it has very good PQ.

Reliability of Vizio has been so-so in the past, and once the warranty is expired there's no way to get replacement parts. It's called a disposable tv.

It depends on what you're searching, and your budget.

If you're looking at a 720p set, I'd recommend you take a look at the Panasonic 42PX80, you can probably find it for not much more than the Vizio.

LCDs are nice for gaming, but I don't like 'em when it comes to watching DVDs (and HD-DVD/Blu-Ray).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts