·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at these three:

Apricorn 500GB Esata Interface DVR Xpander

Iomega DVR Expander Drive, eSATA, 500GB

Western Digital WDG1S5000VN 500GB My DVR Expander eSATA

Any comments would be greatly appreciated....I've spent hours looking through various threads and still don't know which way to go. Please don't blast me and tell me to do a search...I have and still can't decide. Do any of these things work?

·
Registered
586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbis /forum/post/15421526

Any comments would be greatly appreciated....I've spent hours looking through various threads and still don't know which way to go. Please don't blast me and tell me to do a search...I have and still can't decide. Do any of these things work?

I've had the WD drive for about a year and used it on a Tivo HD and Directv HR-21. Never had a problem on either.

·
Registered
124 Posts

Quote:

I am having problems getting the SA 8300HDC to work with a hard disk drive that was previously working on an 8300HD, so I'm just going to note this (ODN Version 3.1.1_sp1 2009/03/10 13:51, YMMV):

Western Digital specifically says on their web site that the DVR expander won't work with 8300HDC units:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....i=&p_topview=1

It's a bit buried in the FAQ, hence the long link. Here is the text:

DVR Compatiblity List

Scientific Atlanta

Tested for compatibility with Explorer 8300 Series DVRs 8300, 8300 HD, 8300 MR, and 8300 HD-MR Digital Video Recorders. SA 8300HDC is not supported.

So you can at least cross that one off of the list.

·
Registered
124 Posts

Quote:

OK, still researching the 8300HDC external drive problems, but let me not here for completeness (and so searching works better), that the Apricorn unit specifically does not support the 8300HDC:

http://www.apricorn.com/product_deta...e=family&id=55

Hopefully they won't mind my including a short excerpt here, as web pages change:

Cable DVR - Scientific Atlanta 8300 series

DVR Expander is the perfect companion for the Scientific Atlanta 8300 series DVR or any DVR equipped with an active eSATA port. To increase the capacity of your DVR simply connect the DVR Expander to your DVR active eSATA port, follow the prompts to format the drive and your DVR recording space is instantly increased.

Many cable companies offer Scientific Atlanta 8300 series DVRs with an active eSATA port. If you are uncertain whether your DVR supports external storage, you can check Apricorn's website, search the internet by DVR model number, or contact the DVR manufacturer.

Important Cable DVRs Compatibility Info

*DVR Expander is currently not compatible with TiVo

**Motorola DVRs currently do not have an active eSATA port and are not compatible with external storage at this time

***Cablevision DVRs are not supported at this time
****DVR Expander does not work with Scientific Atlanta 8300-HDC models, only HD models are supported

So I think you can cross the Apricorn units off of the list, same as WDC.

The common denominator here seems to be the SA 8300HDC. Interesting.

·
Registered
124 Posts

Quote:

OK, for completeness, there is a thread on IOmega, asking if anyone has gotten it to run with the SA 8300HDC:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=iomega

Seems like nobody has. So I think of the 3 options above, unfortunately, it looks like none works.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.