AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am hoping you can help me out. I am currently running HD DVD through my Xbox 360 and want to move to Blu-Ray Disc for the studio support. I have a 32" Samsung LCD and am running a 7.1 Surround setup through an HK AVR240. Obviously my audio will have to be either optical or analog, as I don't have HDMI audio support.

I am trying to decide between the PS3, and the Samsung and Sony players. I am leaning toward the PS3 for its platform expandability, but the lack of a IR remote bugs me (I use a Harmony).

I am primarily asking if the picture quality difference is great enough to warrent the extra mony for one of the standalones (My LCD is 720p). I can get the Samsung and the Sony for around $750, adn of course the PS3 is $600 What do you guys think? It it worth the extra?

·
Registered
2,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlemaclover /forum/post/0

So I am hoping you can help me out. I am currently running HD DVD through my Xbox 360 and want to move to Blu-Ray Disc for the studio support. I have a 32" Samsung LCD and am running a 7.1 Surround setup through an HK AVR240. Obviously my audio will have to be either optical or analog, as I don't have HDMI audio support.

I am trying to decide between the PS3, and the Samsung and Sony players. I am leaning toward the PS3 for its platform expandability, but the lack of a IR remote bugs me (I use a Harmony).

I am primarily asking if the picture quality difference is great enough to warrent the extra mony for one of the standalones (My LCD is 720p). I can get the Samsung and the Sony for around $750, adn of course the PS3 is $600 What do you guys think? It it worth the extra?

You can buy a separate remote that's more user friendly (traditional) for the PS3.

That would bring your price up by about $40 however.

You could also buy the 20GB PS3 for $500 especially if all you care about is Blu-ray

movie playback.

The downside to the PS3 is that it does not up-convert for regular DVD. It just does 480p.

The Sony BDP-S1 is very nice. It's superbly built and reeks of high-end. It does up-convert. I don't believe it currently supports Dolby True-HD sound format.....the PS3 does.

If the Sony BDP-S1 and PS3 were both $600, I personally would buy the BDP-S1.....but since they are not, I would be more inclined to buy the PS3......hey, and it also plays games!

Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I have the the Tosh A1. I purchased the PS3 60 gig version last week and am supremely happy with it. Does a superb job with blu ray movies. Don't buy the Sony BDP-S1 for the simple fact it will shortly be discontinued by 2 new standalone second gen versions displayed at CES, likely one much more affordable than the other.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quik99 /forum/post/0

If he wants it for movies wouldn't the ps3 be a bad option since it currently does not down scale 1080p to 720p?

his tv will scale it to 720p for him.

the ps3 is a great option for the cost. Besides your tv is fairly small so I doubt you'd notice much difference in PQ between players

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I made the leap and got a PS3... couldn't be happier. It is an amazing player and the image looks amazing, on par with if not btter than my Xbox 360 HD DVD drive. And the Audio just BLOWS HD DVD away. I am a total convert. I will say however that the PS3 interface is nothing compared to the 360s blade system, it is really confusing; I also dn't like how the PS3 wonn't auto load a BD if the system is running. I really like that about the 360.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
5,596 Posts
Good choice. PS3 is a damned great player. They get that BTB/WTW and autoplay from the XMB fixed and I won't need another BD player for the near future at all.

While almost daily, I wish there was an XA2 that the appearance (while not the huge bulk) of the XA1 (at least half, if not all silver)... HDMI and analog outputs highly desired!

·
Registered
13,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlemaclover /forum/post/0

So I made the leap and got a PS3... couldn't be happier. It is an amazing player and the image looks amazing, on par with if not btter than my Xbox 360 HD DVD drive. And the Audio just BLOWS HD DVD away. I am a total convert. I will say however that the PS3 interface is nothing compared to the 360s blade system, it is really confusing; I also dn't like how the PS3 wonn't auto load a BD if the system is running. I really like that about the 360.

Thanks for all the help.

Of course you realize audio wise, the 360 addon doesn't really reveal HD-DVD audio capabilities the best.

Enjoy your PS3, are you going to get any games?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.