20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using:

Marazant SR5600

BIC H100

Old Sony Speakers with Dual 15"s for mains

Sony Center Channel

HTPC hooked up through TOSLINK handles all media

I began upgrading my stereo system a year ago and never got around to updating the main speakers. They were never great to begin with and one has recently began to distort. I've had the pair for 12 years so its time to replace them.

My budget just for the 2 main speakers is around $1200, not going to complain if less. I have a 20x20 living room with a 9 foot celling. My usage is 60% Movies/40% Music. I listen to all sorts of music but the majority of it is harder metal. I do not listen to loud music ever and I am primarily looking for the best clarity for my budget. I do like some punch to my music so I would like the speakers to have some bass. I'm not fond of the H100 for music but that may change with new mains. I have been primarily looking at towers, however I would be open to book shelves if they fit my needs.

I had planned on doing a budget upgrade but decided to go all out. I was originaly going to buy Polk Monitor 70s but I did not like them at the local Best Buy, an hour away. Also tried a few cheaper Klipsch models and did not like the treble. I live in the great North and thats the only chance I have to audtion so I'm pretty much ordering blind. I'm looking for some comments on the speakers I'm looking at. Does it sound like they will fit my needs or Im looking for any other speakers that may fit my needs that are not listed.

Speakers Im Looking At:

PSB Image T65(Top Contender)

Martin Logan Motion 12

Martin Logan Source

Mirage OMD-15

NHT Absolute

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I plan on buying a center, just trying to get the fronts figured out first. Leaning heavily on the PSBs, half the price of the other stuff listed. I just wanted to make sure the other speakers I listed were not leaps and bounds above them since the PSBs cost half as much.

If I go with them, I will purchase the PSB Image c60 and run it with a 125w monoblock. That will be less then $1200 for all of that. I will still have all of the money I had set aside for a center and even part of the $1200 left.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I like the Mirage OMD series myself. PSB and NHT are also great. ML were never my cup of tea, but you may feel different after listening. Don't forget to consider ID brands like Ascend and Aperion.

·
Registered
381 Posts
With the size of your room and your listening requirements, I would take a very serious look at Aperion. You can certainly spend much more and get much less than you can with Aperion. The quality of their products is second to none in terms of value for your investment.

There are a couple of speakers I would recommend, the first is the Initmus 6T(paired with 6C center), or the 5T (paired with 5C center). The 6T is an excellent speaker with great bass extension and midrange. If you are holding off on a center channel the 6T does a very nice job of carrying the bass.

The 5T's are an excellent speaker as well. They provide very good bass extension and midrange.

I would also recommend getting a timbre matched center channel speaker no matter what you end up buying..the front stage is critical to any good sound system.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have the PSB T65 also and like you it wad a blind buy for me. I also picked up the C60 center and I can't complain one bit especially for the price that their going for right now. I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed with them if you go that route. With the extra money you have saved I would even think about buying something like an emotive amp to power either your mains or all three speakers then I think you'll definitely be happy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.