AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a new CD player or SACD, and l'm wondering why there seems to be so little choice. I can see that the manufactuerers have decided to concentrate on DVD players for the most part. I have a Blue Ray player but I don't want to use it to play my extensive CD collection with fear of wearing it out prematurely. I know I can go out and get a cheap DVD player, but I don't believe I will get to hear what my CD's intended for me to hear. I like the idea of a changer but their seems to be a debate here whether build quality is compromised. I am tossing the idea of getting the Onkyo DXC-390-6 disc. But if I'm convinced that I'd be buying into trouble or compromising sound quality, I may decide to go for the Dennon 1940 CI or Oppo DV-980H. Are there any thoughts here? I need to keep my budget under $200.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,470 Posts
If you are looking at the Denon 1940ci, you might want to order soon. I bought four of them, 2 for myself, and 2 for friends in the last couple of months for $80. They've been avialable from several sources for 6 months. I went to pick up another one for a friend this weekend, it appears that only Vann's still has them, and the price has gone up $10. Looks like they are finally running out.


It's not a changer like the Onkyo, but the Onkyo does not play SACD's.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieD /forum/post/16929096


I know I can go out and get a cheap DVD player, but I don't believe I will get to hear what my CD's intended for me to hear.

If you are referring to the sound quality, that's not something to worry about these days. Just get one that has the features you need.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd /forum/post/16929812


If you are referring to the sound quality, that's not something to worry about these days. Just get one that has the features you need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 /forum/post/16929221


If you are looking at the Denon 1940ci, you might want to order soon. I bought four of them, 2 for myself, and 2 for friends in the last couple of months for $80. They've been avialable from several sources for 6 months. I went to pick up another one for a friend this weekend, it appears that only Vann's still has them, and the price has gone up $10. Looks like they are finally running out.


It's not a changer like the Onkyo, but the Onkyo does not play SACD's.

Thank you both for your excellant responses. One part of me wants to buy the 1940CI because I own Denon AVR and love it, but the other wants the C390 Onkyo CD changer for the convenience if I could only convince myself that sound quality won't be compromised and that I won't be sorry that I didn't get a SACD too! I currently do not own any SACD's and I'm to understand I cannot burn them myself and music variety is limited. So probably SACD should not be a factor. Is there anything else to consider or another player I should consider?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,156 Posts

Quote:
the other wants the C390 Onkyo CD changer for the convenience if I could only convince myself that sound quality won't be compromised

The sound quality won't be compromised. If you're paying more than $50 for a conventional disk player, CD reproduction is pretty much transparent these days.


As for SACD, how much do you want to try it out? It's a niche format, so there will never be a lot of software out there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieD /forum/post/16930306


Is there anything else to consider or another player I should consider?

If you need a DVD player, I would go with the Denon, picture quality is excellent.


If you don't need DVD, and really want a changer, I'd look at something other than Onkyo, their changers are known to have issues. I've never had much luck with recent Onkyo products, and their support is non-existent.

http://www1.epinions.com/reviews/pr-...C390_6-Disc_CD

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-DXC390-D...owViewpoints=1


I've always been partial to Yamaha changers, never had an issue with them.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-CDC-697...9238465&sr=1-1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,270 Posts
I would take Oppo or very similar to it Pioneer DV6XX series (which is slightly cheaper) player. They will work with CD, SACD and also DVD-A. I recommend not to forget about latter format. Unlike SACD, you can find many DVD-A titles (including those currently out of print) as downloadable images in PTP networks. Unlike Denon, Oppo and Pioneer ignore copy protection feature in DVD-A.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,156 Posts

Quote:
Unlike SACD, you can find many DVD-A titles (including those currently out of print) as downloadable images in PTP networks.

IOW, you can steal them. How nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/16931948


IOW, you can steal them. How nice.

I do not advocate stealing, but at least it will give you an option to listen disk before you buy your own copy. Most music titles aren't worth spending one penny.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top