AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay here's the thing. I am not that big into movies. I watch ALOT of TV shows in netflix and such. So I don't have to have top of the line. I am trying to decide between two 50-51 inch plasmas and I need some help from people with better knowledge.

Choice One: Panasonic TC-P50S60 50inch 1080p. From what I've read, its one of the best budget plasmas out their with very good picture quality. The biggest draw backs were the 2 HDMI inputs(have denon receiver) and bad glare in light (putting in basement)

Choice Two: Samsung PN51F4500AFXZA 51inch 720p. Pretty basic model, a friend of mine has the 43 inch version and when I visited was impressed by the color and inky blacks. It doesnt have Netflix built in like the panasonic, but I run Netflix off my PC with a WMC remote.

Does the Panasonic justify a 200 dollar higher price tag? And would I notice a difference. My main concern is I've read the difference in picture quality from 720p to 1080p is so small that most people dont notice at all. Is this true?

Also keep in mind, that while I dont have a problem spending an extra 200 on a TV, if I could put that money towards a nicer recliner I would choose to.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I picked up the PN51F4500AFXZA the other day (Since my ol'lady fought me tooth and nail on the upper model). I have to say, that for the price I'm extremely impressed.

I had just returned the LG 47LM4600 LED since I found the picture looked horrible at night. I was slightly worried that this tv would end up being a downgrade because of the 720p and low price tag, my worries were ill-founded. While there is a noticeable decrease in screen brightness (even though I keep the LED back light 35 - 56) I can tell that once I get my break in period done, and turn up the brightness some it will compete with the brightness of the LED (Well, lol, assuming you don't watch the LED with back light set above 70).

As for blacks, it is more than acceptable for the price range. I'm already noticing details not present in movies I had watched on the LED, such as the fact that in Immortals the oracle wears read velvet under the black nightgown. Old movies also look much better, and not nearly as cartoonish as they did on the LED.

My only real gripes about this tv compared to the LED, is the built in sound isn't as good (Though it does a better job of simulated surround)

It's worth note, I watch this tv from 10 feet away, I believe you could get a way with 8', but any closer and you will notice the lower resolution. At my current view distance of 10' not only does the image fill my view, but the lower resolution is not noticeable ( I'm 32, and my eyesight is still strong.).

I'd suggest not to look past this tv just because of the 720p, but if you have the option, get the 1080P model.

"MAKE SURE TO TURN OFF THE ENERGY SAVE FUNCTION" it's hidden compared to other tv's I have owned.

Sorry if my post is slightly off topic, there just doesn't seem to be much information online about this product.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was looking for the perfect bedroom TV. I just bought a PN43F4500AFXZA for the bedroom, and I am stunned at the quality at this price point. So glad I stumbled on this one as I needed a 42" and the plasma choice at that size is limited. Was leaning towards the Panny S60 when Sears/Amazon had that ridiculously sick deal, but I really do not like the silver trim on the new Panny models (I know that's silly as this is the best budget Plasma on the planet, but I can't help it).

Style is important to me as the bedroom TV is equal parts decor and function. Design is an important ingredient to any of my electronics purchases. I have a 60" ST50 which is one of the Top 5 electronics purchases I have ever made--stunning TV and I actually prefer the styling to the S60 and ST60. So I really can't get past the new S60/ST60 styling even though the TVs themselves are incredible.

So then I was thinking Panny X60, which I was very close to getting, but I wanted something a tiny bit thinner for the bedroom. So with those two out, started looking at LED's (gasp!) for $800--$1000. So now my budget has gone up 100-125% for an inferior product, great!

Then I saw the PN43F4500AFXZA for great price at BB. Classic black, 2.2 inches thin which is close to my ST50's 1.8 inches, and a PLASMA! Never shop BB (Amazon addict), but figured I could return it if it went south, and amazon only had marketplace sellers at the time.

I mainly use this TV for streamed SD and HD content via ROKU and HD local channels and SD cable. No blu-ray. Obviously, limited viewing due to location. I will mostly use it right before bed in dim room.

Anyway, I absolutely love it, and for the price I would have to say it might be the best value purchase I have ever experienced. The set is classic black, and while not razor thin, it is pretty much the thinnest TV at this price point, and thinner than the S60 and X60. Amazon Prime Instant HD, HD Locals (720P) , HBO GO, and streamed HD from my network look great. This set also has a remarkably low energy footprint for a Plasma and only gets ever so slightly warm after all day use on the standard Energy Saving mode. I think the set is quite bright and beyond bright enough for a bedroom--It does get very, very bright in lower light on less energy conscious settings and I even had to turn mine down as I use in a dim bedroom. Also has a USB Media player that I love. I even love the sound as the DTS surround and DTS Dialogue give a nice listenable experience that is perfect for the bedroom.

Overall, I think it is the perfect bedroom TV taking into account: picture quality, style, thinness, built in media player, decent sound for bedroom use IMO, small energy footprint for plasma, and an incredible price. (BTW, I haven't even tweaked the settings that much and I already love the picture quality).

FWIW, If this is not for the bedroom and you are on a budget, I would then recommend the S64 from Costco when the 50" comes out (or if you can control the light in your room get an S60)---and if you spend a little more, get an ST50 (50" and 60" is still around at decent price points) or ST60.

·
Registered
164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te  /t/1473025/help-deciding-on-plasma-tv#post_23323625

personally Id choose the S60 as Panasonic has really done well with the "lower end" models this year.....as far as worth well that is up to the individual...

The only problem with the S60 is that it only has two HDMI, that is just crazy, you need at least three. Cable takes up one, then you have bluray/ps3, and an xbox 360/

Not sure why they only gave two on this model.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts