Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

I need help with deciding on the OTA antenna for my local HDTV broadcasts.

I live in Sacramento, CA. antennaweb.org recommended a 'Yello' color-coded antenna (small, multi-directional I think). The local Radio Shack guy told me to buy the 18' (too long) VU-190XR for about $100.

I plan to hook up this OTA antenna to the Dish 6000U HDTV receiver.

1. What is the best OTA antenna to receive the local HDTV signals

2. Where do I buy this? What is the price range (I plan to install this on my roof, beside the dishes)

3. Also, I plan to hook up the Dish 6000U to the Sharp 9000 projector through the VGA connection - will this also let me receive the Dish programming broadcasts as well (not local)??

Any other info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a ton!

Amar

·
Registered
18 Posts
I fall into the Yellow section as well. I put up and old fashion antenna with a chimney mount and get 99 to 100 % on the OTA Ditigal channels.

Oh yeah, the antenna is only about 3 foot long. Got from a buddy for free.

Grab the cheapy from Rat Shack and enjoy. Smallville and Jay Leno rocks in HDTV. :)

·
Registered
617 Posts
HEY! I'm in Sacto too!!! Well, Davis but sorta the same. I just posted about antenna woes too.

Hope someone comes to your (our) aid here.

btw, what is the next level antenna up from yellow? Can someone recommend on of those too, if possible.

I had brief luck w/ my indoor double bowtie but it was luck indeed, b/c now I don't get anything again.... :( damn. it was sweet for those two days though!

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
If all your stations are in the UHF band (14-69), get a Channel Master 4228 UHF antenna. Install it on a mast, as high as possible, and connect it using quad shield RG6 coax. If your stations are in more than one direction, you may need a rotor, unless they are in the same "general" direction.

If (and only if) signal strength is still weak, add a CM 7775 or 7777 preamp. All can be ordered from stark electronics or Warren Electronics.
http://www.warrenelectronics.com/ant...master_ant.htm

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree with arxaw, get a Channel Master 4228 UHF antenna (I have one - it's great), and a CM 7775 or 7777 preamp, (I have the 7777, because I also have a older style UHF/VHF antenna for the lower channel numbers out of the Bay Area and I use both inputs). I live in Fairfield so I have a rotator and get DTV from the Bay Area and Sacramento, the antenna has to turn 180 degrees for the best reception.

The nice thing about the Channel Master 4228 is that it's "long" measurement is vertical, small horizontal "footprint".

I got the CM4228 and a rotator upgraded controller from warrenelectronics.com - great people and fast too.

Regards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.