AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm also in this very same boat. I have spent countless hours at BB and reading reviews over the P-Series, X850D, and KS8000. I was sure I was going to get the 2016 Vizio P-Series when it was released over any other TV given its specs on paper. When I was finally standing in front of a P75 and watching the Dark Knight on Blu-Ray in the Magnolia room at BB I was extremely disappointed. I looked at the Samsung sitting right next to it and it was night and day. The Samsung's picture was sooooo much better it was ridiculous. Messing with all the settings on the Vizio couldn't even come close to the Samsungs pic. Now after reading how much better the Samsung converts 480,720,etc. than the Vizio I am pretty much sold on the Samsung. I would say 90% of my viewing is going to be from DirecTV (Sports, movies, reality shows,etc.). I really wanted the Vizio but now that the Samsung is just $200 more through Costco I think I am going to pull the trigger on that next weekend unless I am really missing something here about the Vizio?

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
I'm also in this very same boat. I have spent countless hours at BB and reading reviews over the P-Series, X850D, and KS8000. I was sure I was going to get the 2016 Vizio P-Series when it was released over any other TV given its specs on paper. When I was finally standing in front of a P75 and watching the Dark Knight on Blu-Ray in the Magnolia room at BB I was extremely disappointed. I looked at the Samsung sitting right next to it and it was night and day. The Samsung's picture was sooooo much better it was ridiculous. Messing with all the settings on the Vizio couldn't even come close to the Samsungs pic. Now after reading how much better the Samsung converts 480,720,etc. than the Vizio I am pretty much sold on the Samsung. I would say 90% of my viewing is going to be from DirecTV (Sports, movies, reality shows,etc.). I really wanted the Vizio but now that the Samsung is just $200 more through Costco I think I am going to pull the trigger on that next weekend unless I am really missing something here about the Vizio?
You are missing the fact that simply “Messing” with the settings is not going to give you the full potential of any TV. You must do the research to find out exactly what the optimal settings are for the TVs and apply only those settings and use the same content from the same sources on both TVs. Then compare the TVs.

If you do that then you will see the P-series at its full potential.

The review sites used the wrong settings when they said it is inferior for low resolution content. With the correct settings it does great with all sources including lower resolution and over compressed content.

That being said the P-series does struggle a bit with DSE. You will see it in Hockey. It isn’t terrible but you will see it. I think DSE is the P-series biggest drawback.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Interesting.

I was also at BB, and was comparing the same 3 TVs in the Magnolia section. At first, the OLED was off, while the 940D and P were on. Here, the 940D did not look significantly better than the Vizio to justify the price difference. But then, I asked the rep to turn on the OLED, and then I realized why they might want to turn it off. The OLED, to me, was on a different level, and if I had $4000, I would have definitely chosen that one. It stands out amongst all the TVs in the room. After being mesmerized by the OLED, the P then looked bland/dull in comparison.

That said, I plan on buying a P50 in a month once school winds down, because, well...I don't have $4k :(... but the P seems to be a great buy for a quarter of the price :D
This is a great thread to me, as I also am struggling with a decision on which UHD tv set to buy, and bewildered by the multitude of factors that need to be taken into consideration.

I stopped into BB yesterday and saw the Vizio P series, most of the Samsungs, and most of the Sonys. Man, BB had a "Sony Expert" and a "Samsung Expert" on the floor who talked to me. Let me tell you, they are both selling HARD against the Vizio P. It was mostly the Samsung expert who was dissing the Vizio, saying that, while they do employ full backlighting with local dimming, they scrimp and use cheap components elsewhere in their TVs, and that they do not produce the colors of the Samsung and Sony. He also dissed Dolby Vision -- I think he was saying that it doesn't do anything unless the source content is encoded with DV, and that there is currently little to no content with DV. Anyway, I need to go back and view the Vizio some more, since they steered me away from it so fast.

The sales guys also dissed the LG Oled, saying that they have had a lot of burn in problems and returns from burn-in. They also said the LG Oled sets are only expected to last from 5 to 7 years. Is this true?

Now, regarding the Sonys, I was impressed with the 930D, for an edge lit set, on its demo loop, pretty remarkable. But, the sales dudes stated that it's weakness was in black levels and off-center viewing, which was somewhat correct to my eyes. The 830D looks pretty good at its price point. Of course, the 940D looks fantastic, as it should for the price.

Regarding the Samsungs, they all, including the top of the line curved FALD, just do not look as good to me as the Sonys. There is something artificial looking about the colors, sort of a "Technicolor" vibe with them. On one demo, there was a waterfall in a mountain vista, but on the Samsung, the falling water just looked like a bright white animation, not a waterfall. The Samsung Expert dissed Triluminous as an "after-the-fact" attempt to achieve colors that the Sony can't otherwise achieve, while the Samsung sets have better panels that can achieve 98% of the color palette. Notwithstanding that, it still seemed to me that the Sonys had more accurate colors.

My main concern is how these sets will work with the new UHD Blu-rays, as well as upscaling Blu-rays to 4K. We also watch a lot of cable HD programming, but no non-HD sources.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is a great thread to me, as I also am struggling with a decision on which UHD tv set to buy, and bewildered by the multitude of factors that need to be taken into consideration.

I stopped into BB yesterday and saw the Vizio P series, most of the Samsungs, and most of the Sonys. Man, BB had a "Sony Expert" and a "Samsung Expert" on the floor who talked to me. Let me tell you, they are both selling HARD against the Vizio P. It was mostly the Samsung expert who was dissing the Vizio, saying that, while they do employ full backlighting with local dimming, they scrimp and use cheap components elsewhere in their TVs, and that they do not produce the colors of the Samsung and Sony. He also dissed Dolby Vision -- I think he was saying that it doesn't do anything unless the source content is encoded with DV, and that there is currently little to no content with DV. Anyway, I need to go back and view the Vizio some more, since they steered me away from it so fast.

The sales guys also dissed the LG Oled, saying that they have had a lot of burn in problems and returns from burn-in. They also said the LG Oled sets are only expected to last from 5 to 7 years. Is this true?

Now, regarding the Sonys, I was impressed with the 930D, for an edge lit set, on its demo loop, pretty remarkable. But, the sales dudes stated that it's weakness was in black levels and off-center viewing, which was somewhat correct to my eyes. The 830D looks pretty good at its price point. Of course, the 940D looks fantastic, as it should for the price.

Regarding the Samsungs, they all, including the top of the line curved FALD, just do not look as good to me as the Sonys. There is something artificial looking about the colors, sort of a "Technicolor" vibe with them. On one demo, there was a waterfall in a mountain vista, but on the Samsung, the falling water just looked like a bright white animation, not a waterfall. The Samsung Expert dissed Triluminous as an "after-the-fact" attempt to achieve colors that the Sony can't otherwise achieve, while the Samsung sets have better panels that can achieve 98% of the color palette. Notwithstanding that, it still seemed to me that the Sonys had more accurate colors.

My main concern is how these sets will work with the new UHD Blu-rays, as well as upscaling Blu-rays to 4K. We also watch a lot of cable HD programming, but no non-HD sources.
I've had similar experiences at BB the last couple weeks as I'm looking to possibly replace my Panasonic TC-P55VT30 plasma that's being repaired. They push hard on Sony, mostly. And they pretty much have nothing positive to say about the P series. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I have similar question as OP. I'm looking for a 65 inch TV and have been comparing the P-series, 850D, and KS8000. I've read tons of reviews. The TV will be used in a family room setting with a fair amount of light.

Although initially I thought the P-series might be the way to go, there are two primary concerns for me on that one. First, it supposedly doesn't do upscaling as well as the other two brands. Upscaling is important for me since we mostly do tv watching of cable being broadcast at 720p or 1080i. However, we will have some streaming 4K Netflix but high def cable is more common at the moment. Second, I am not a fan about its tablet remote and no smart apps built into the set. I have a Harmony Remote that I want to continue using and having that to be able to access the smart apps on the TV is important to me along with my family members who are less motivated to switch remotes.

I've gone to three Best Buys and in each of them the reps swear by Sony and the 850D. To them it's a hand down decision. I thought it interesting that all three stores had the same story line. Does Sony have some deal with Best Buy or are those reps all sincere? Anyway, I compared the 850D next to P-series. The 850D had better colors in their theater room. I didn't compare it to the KS8000 at that time.

In another store, I was less impressed with 850D and noted it's blacks weren't so dark. In fact, lower models of the Sony seemed to have better blacks. Also, for upscaling of a 1080P source, I compared the 850D to a Sony 1080P set. The 850D's upscaling actually made some fine details get too soft. Those details were more visible in the lower model 1080P Sony.

I may go back to Best Buy and try to compare the 850D next to the KS8000. By itself, the KS8000 seems to have good whites and blacks. But I don't know how the colors compare sitting next to the 850D. I also want to see how well the KS8000 upscales.

Most on-line "professional" reviews seem to rate the KS8000 higher than the 850D. The KS8000's local dimming gets a lot of attention. However, the few user reviews on Amazon of the KS8000 rate it pretty low due to light bleeding. The user reviews of the 850D are higher on Amazon.

So, in a nutshell, according to the few user reviews on Amazon and the reps at three different Best Buys, the 850D would appear to be better. According to several professional, in-depth on-line review web sites, the KS8000 is better than the 850D. For my particular situation where upscaling is important, watching tv in a well lit family room, what is the better TV of this lot (cost aside since these particular sets are within my price range).
I'm very satisfied with the 65' KS8000. Performs well with the Samsung HDR DVD Blu Ray player, OPPO 103, D TV and Netflix. Up scales Standard 480 DVD's extremely well.

Cheers

·
Registered
57 Posts
After watching the upconvert from the lower signals, which was my main concern, the Samsung KS8000 was finally my choice. No matter what I did to the settings on the Vizio, and I know all the Vizio peeps are going to start commenting, it still lacked the colors and pop that I found on the Samsung. If I had to sit there and try that hard to make the Vizio look good then its not worth it in my opinion. It looked like on all the Vizio P sets that the screen has that matte haze look to it and I am assuming its for anti glare but I wonder if this effect the picture at all. Remember I watch 90% Directv and my main concern was upconvert.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
After watching the upconvert from the lower signals, which was my main concern, the Samsung KS8000 was finally my choice. No matter what I did to the settings on the Vizio, and I know all the Vizio peeps are going to start commenting, it still lacked the colors and pop that I found on the Samsung. If I had to sit there and try that hard to make the Vizio look good then its not worth it in my opinion. It looked like on all the Vizio P sets that the screen has that matte haze look to it and I am assuming its for anti glare but I wonder if this effect the picture at all. Remember I watch 90% Directv and my main concern was upconvert.
The KS8000 is an outstanding TV and it really doesn't cost that much more than the Vizio P-series. It just lacks Dolby Vision HDR and FALD but otherwise it is probably the best edge lit TV out there.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've been debating the Vizio P vs the Samsung KS8000 for two months. The P series thread is filled with problem reports. I do 95% of watching in a lighted room from cable sources. I also watch several series on Amazon, which is not available on the P series. The Samsung has just dropped to $1979 on BJs and may go on sale elsewhere. That may be the deciding factor for me. Am I making a mistake?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I've been debating the Vizio P vs the Samsung KS8000 for two months. The P series thread is filled with problem reports. I do 95% of watching in a lighted room from cable sources. I also watch several series on Amazon, which is not available on the P series. The Samsung has just dropped to $1979 on BJs and may go on sale elsewhere. That may be the deciding factor for me. Am I making a mistake?
You're making the right choice for your needs.

I highly considered the KS8000, even at the Ebay special. After seeing photos of light bleed on some of the members sets and poor blacks, I knew it wouldn't be a contender as much as I wanted to save a couple hundred off the P65 price. I have a blacked out room and light bleed and poor blacks would drive me nuts. Also, I don't watch much sd content or cable at all and most tv shows I download in 1080p that look better than the highly compressed crap Uverse 1080i. Not only that, no Dolbyvision was a deal breaker. And, while HDR10 isn't yet supported on the P, it is coming soon. The lack of Amazon 4k was alleviated by the Roku 4 I picked up for around a $100, which I returned instead and got a K8500 that I was getting anyways since Amazon updated to support HDR.

Now it's just a matter of when HDR10 is pushed.

So far I've watched Marco Polo, Man of Steel and Gatsby in DV and I can see the superb effects of DV and it makes certain things pop and look fantastic. An example is in MOS at the beginning on Krypton where explosions are going on. They're so bright I have to squint. Marco polo night scenes where there's fire, they look so bright almost 3d like.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
You are only making a mistake if you one day decide you really need Dolby Vision. Otherwise it really sounds like the KS8000 will fit your needs.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
You are only making a mistake if you one day decide you really need Dolby Vision. Otherwise it really sounds like the KS8000 will fit your needs.
I'm in the same boat. All these decisions are driving me crazy. Stupid Sony went matte/ultra thin this year with their 930D model. If only Sony 930D was like 930c but without the speakers. I'm leaning toward the Samsung ks9000 but it doesn't have 3d for the same price as the Sony with 3d. Oled is not an option due to its terrible high prices and burn-in problem, all the ones in BB have some kind of burn-in. To me Sony 930c was perfect but the speakers made it too big to fit in my bedroom.

·
Registered
152 Posts
As someone who hates any Smart TV functionality, I use set-top's to avoid them, currently Nvidia Shield, for Netflix/Vudu/Youtube/Casting etc. I don't see that changing, i'll likely always use a top of the line, high performance streaming device. With that said, most of them do their own upscaling anyways, so the TV's upscale is a non-factor. The shield for example upscales everything to 4k when it's in 4k output mode, so no matter how bad or great your TV"s upscaler is, it's not going to matter. Furthermore ~ I use an Oppo BDP-103, witch also upscales to 4k, with one of the very best scaler's made, QDEO, which is probably on par or better than the very best scaler's in TV's anyways. So all 480P DVD content, all Blu-Ray content, and anything streamed though OPPO's smart features is upscaled to 4k via QDEO anyways. Furthermore ~ people buying 2k TV's typically have a decent sound system attached to a modern AVR that quite likely has QDEO upscaling anyways. There's so many way's around the "upscale" issue. The Oppo BDP-103 has an HDMI INPUT that will upscale anything to 4k, including your set-top box for Cable/Sat, or if you have an outboard tuner, which you would for the P-Series, it will also upscale that signal to 4k.

Just Sayin

·
Registered
237 Posts
I spent countless hours in Best Buy recently looking at TVs, and to be honest, the KS8000 looked horrible in comparison to the Sony 930D, and all other TVs in the show room for that matter. There was an older Sony (don't remember which model) with significant light bleed that still looked better than the Samsung. The Samsung looked gimmickly bright with tons of artifacts. I tested DVDs and Blu Ray on all of the TVs in the showroom. I ended up going with the Sony 950b (no HDR). It was a tough decision over the 930D, but coming from a Panasomic Plasma, edgelighting scares me. Just my opinion, hope this helps!

·
Registered
934 Posts
^^It is hard to judge a television based on its demo and everyone's eyes are different. I've said it in a few threads, but my wife felt the P65 (KS8000 & 850D) had the best picture in that price point and didn't see a significant difference until the Samsung 9000 and Sony 930D. Of course then you bump up the price a bit. Right now I'm trying to work out how to get the 9000 for $2500 through Paypal Bill Me Later.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I too have been torn between the Vizio P and the Samsung ks8000. I went to Best Buy to finally look at them in person the other day. I first went to the Vizio. It looked good. I thought to myself that I would be perfectly happy if I had this in my house. But then I looked behind my right shoulder and saw the ks8000. Wow. It really drew me in. So I went over and starred at it for awhile. The colors and clarity were amazing. They kept showing a woman in a red dress dancing around a black background. I didn't see any light bleed or anything....but I realize I'm also viewing in a glaringly bright environment. The city scenes where they would show the city transitioning from dusk to night were incredibly good too. I went back to the Vizio and it now seemed ho-hum to me. It looked sort of dull.
I have to say though that the Vizio demo loop is pretty poop though. They would show scenes from the Lego Movie. But then they kept cutting to a family plopping down on a couch in a bright living room to watch tv. It just wasn't a very good way to show off a tv compared to its nearby competitors. Every once in awhile the Vizio would show some paint colors being splashed across the screen and it looked good.
So I am really torn. I HATE light bleed and blooming when watching movies. Especially dark movies like Harry Potters. It just ruins the movies for me lots of times.
However, most of our tv watching is either during the day when it's bright or at night in which we still have some lights on. And we are almost always watching just stuff on cable.
We rarely sit down to watch a movie with the lights off. According to rtings.com the ks8000 seems to be a more well rounded tv for what we mostly watch. I'm just afraid the times I actually do sit down to watch a movie in the dark I'm going to be really disappointed if I get an edge lit like the Samsung. Thoughts?

·
Registered
933 Posts
I really dislike the demo loops. They are manufactured visuals designed to wow the customer. That said I think the P65 has a very bad demo.. In BB I asked for Blu ray demos and in Costco they were showing regular programming up scaled to 1080p. Along with 4k content. I'd rather go with the experience of posters here. The Vizio looked very good to me watching content other than the demo.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
In the same boat as everyone here but pulled the trigger on ordering a 850D from B&H after it wowed me in store and in discussing with friends who work at BB.

One thing that a BEST buy sales guy told me about the Sony that I imagine isn't true is that any Dolby Vision content will still playback in HDR10. That's not correct right?

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
In the same boat as everyone here but pulled the trigger on ordering a 850D from B&H after it wowed me in store and in discussing with friends who work at BB.

One thing that a BEST buy sales guy told me about the Sony that I imagine isn't true is that any Dolby Vision content will still playback in HDR10. That's not correct right?
If it is streaming Dolby Vision content then it won't playback at all.

81 - 100 of 143 Posts