AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Am new to the forums so i hope i am posting in the right spot

I have a Denon AVR-3802 that still works great. The problem is I have so many components there is nowhere left to plug them in.

The receiver has just two component video inputs and I need at least two more.

The receiver connects to a Mitsubishi 5589 rptv via S video and Component Video

I already run my comcast hdtv box and my DVD recorder to the receiver's component inputs. The rest of my inputs are taken up by a d-Link dsm320, A CD changer (which is daisy chained to a second), a turntable, an xm reciever, and my mce computer.

I would like to connect a VCR, Tivo, and eventually the itiv but there is nowhere to plug them in. I'd also like to switch my d-link music hub from svideo to component .

I'd rather not run out and drop another grand on a new receiver with more inputs because this one serves our purposes just fine (for the most part).

I've thought about buying a 2-300 dollar second receiver and somehow connecting it to the 3802. This would serve two purposes - it would allow me to hook up additional video components and would allow me to set up a dedicated second zone to drive my outdoor speakers (allowing me to take advantage of the 3802's 7.1 feature).

In the alternative, I could run out and by a audio-video switcher like the ones sold at Best Buy but from trolling these forums unless thery are high end switcher's tend to degrade video quality.

Is the second receiver a workable solution or should i just buy the audio-video switcher until I can upgrade my reciever and TV to HDMI?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thnaks for the advice. That looks like a decent solution. Can it be used for other devices that just have composite inputs? Would buying a secondary budget reciever also work (still interested in that idea b/c even the cheapers now have some type of upconversion and b/c i'd be able to take the load of my outdoor speakers off the denon, create a second zone and give me the option of adding a rear surrounds to my setup?

What do you think?

· Registered
4,052 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.