AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've attached my home theater diagram. I would appreciate any help as to where to put the speakers. I know I want 7.1 surround.

The screen goes on the far end in the indented wall and I can have it sit forward and put 1 or 2 subs behind it.

If anyone could tell me why I would need two subs that would be cool too.

Are there sound issues if I put them in the wall somewhat versus on the walls?

Newbie here! - But I promise putting up all my pictures as I build it.

thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
You don't need two subs unless having one is too wimpy.

Look at the Dolby site for general speaker placement.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Here’s the site DMF was talking about:
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/

It’s a rough guideline – of course, the way the room is built will determine things like rear speaker placement.

For surround sound purposes, it’s best to move the primary seat some distance away from the wall. This not only enables you to put the seating closer to the TV (which effectively makes the picture larger), it makes rear speaker placement easier, as more options are available.

The rear speakers should be placed in one of two locations: On the side walls a foot or two behind the main viewing seat, or on the rear wall roughly perpendicular to the front L/R speakers, or perhaps a little further apart. Personally I don’t like for them to be as close to the seating as the picture on the Dolby site shows – it makes them too easy to localize, which makes them a distraction.
Quote:
The screen goes on the far end in the indented wall and I can have it sit forward and put 1 or 2 subs behind it.
Generally the best place to put the sub is in a corner, but it won’t hurt to try it out behind the display.

Quote:
No reason to use two subs – get a single one big enough for your room. You need to know total cubic ft. to figure that out, not just the length and width dimensions you gave us. Assuming you have 8-ft. ceilings and the room isn’t open to other areas, a good-quality 12†sub should suffice. A high ceiling and/or big openings up to other areas and you may need a 15†sub or a dual 12-incher.

Quote:
Are there sound issues if I put them in the wall somewhat versus on the walls?
Not sure what you’re referring to there...

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
29,950 Posts
Gary,
Quote:
I would appreciate any help as to where to put the speakers. I know I want 7.1 surround.
See attached diagram for speaker placement suggestion. Adjust to personal taste.

Good Luck,

Sanjay

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garykagan

thanks,

Gary

Gary you dont NEED two subs but if you have the budget and the room, I wouldnt want to be without them since they help smoothen out the low frequency room response, and although low frequency is omnidirectional, many times if not setup properly one can localize or tell where the low bass is coming from in a single sub setup, my room has basstraps to control low frequency standing waves which worked wonders and adding a second subwoofer smoothened the room out even more so like I said its not a necessity but its a good thing to have if you can fit it in your budget and your room.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.