AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I redid my house about 3 years ago and have a room over the garage that I have wanted to turn into theater/bar area. I have been looking around site and doing a bit of reading ( I get side tracked on the pics of the completed theaters .. need to do more reading) I would like to get some of your guys thoughts on how I might go about laying out where to put everything.
L]

This first pic is looking at the wall I originally planned to put screen (was thinking about 100" or so) but after reading about 2.35 setups and seeing screens like popechild's 148" I want to go bigger. I am thinking 11' or 12'.

In this second picture you can see the slant in the room really seems to cut into what I can do here but seeing some of the before and after pics on the site makes me think I just need to think about this more.

I'm not sure wife would like the idea of framing over the window but thinking maybe I should put screen on opposite wall of the door. If I did build a 12' screen how far away should I be.

I'll add the pics in once I get my post in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is something I came up with. I am having trouble trying to get it look look correct on the top left side. Just doesn't seem right but this is the general idea I had. The screen on the right then some built ins on the left.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
How about just pulling that whole false screen wall out a bit more so the top left edge (which isn't balanced) is flush with the face of that bumped out/down inclined dealy (what is that anyway?). You could raise the screen then, square off the upper corner etc. so all you'll have to deal with is the slope of the ceiling and not be limited by that inclined dealy (did I ask what that was yet
)

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
There are some updated processes not covered in that 8 year old article. Don't get me wrong; it's a nice overview, but materials and techniques of construction have been refined since then.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am trying to frame out around screen so I can have curtains hang in front of it and was also thinking I would like to do some kind of masking system. I thought that would give me room to slide the masking out of the way. Here is a pic of what I was thinking at first. This is on opposite wall.

The screen size is only 7' 10" there so I moved to other wall. In the other pictures I was also trying to make wall wider on either side so I can make a panel instead of just having 2 x 4 wall coming out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I prefer Screen on end wall with no door. I agree with fotto about pulling whole thing forward, good idea if you have the room or like the way it looks. Screen size will dictate options however.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think pulling the false wall all the way out to the dormer will cut into the room to much. I would like to keep the false wall as close to that back wall as I can.

I did some more reading on 2.35 setups and I noticed people talking about spending 3k, 5k and even someone mentioning 9k for a Anamorphic lens. Do I have to spend 2k on projector and another 3k or so on lens? If that is the case to do 2.35 setup I don't think its in the budget.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
One of the problems with that type of ceiling configuration and curtains, is the lack of stack back space for the curtains. You might want to consider Austrian Shades.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbodogs /forum/post/18206438

I think pulling the false wall all the way out to the dormer will cut into the room to much. I would like to keep the false wall as close to that back wall as I can.

I did some more reading on 2.35 setups and I noticed people talking about spending 3k, 5k and even someone mentioning 9k for a Anamorphic lens. Do I have to spend 2k on projector and another 3k or so on lens? If that is the case to do 2.35 setup I don't think its in the budget.

If you have $2K to spend on a projector, you can get the Panasonic PT-AE4000U which will allow you to do 2.35 aspect ratio, and also have a memory setting for 1.78 as well. Many here use that instead of a lens due to cost.

How far it it from your far wall to the vertical face of the dormer? Would be interesting to know that as well as how much seating you have planned.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did a quick search on the Austrian Shades. That does seem like a good way to go.

I was just reading about that PT-AE4000U .... sounds like a nice projector.

I am not sure what you mean
Quote:
How far it it from your far wall to the vertical face of the dormer?

For seating I was thinking 2 rows. The first row maybe 3 recliners and back row maybe a couch. I am not sure on the couch thing was just thinking might be nice to have spot to also lay down.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbodogs /forum/post/18207560

Did a quick search on the Austrian Shades. That does seem like a good way to go.

I was just reading about that PT-AE4000U .... sounds like a nice projector.

I am not sure what you mean

For seating I was thinking 2 rows. The first row maybe 3 recliners and back row maybe a couch. I am not sure on the couch thing was just thinking might be nice to have spot to also lay down.

What I was asking was pertaining to the third picture you show (post #3) where your false wall is drawn with the top left corner angled with the dormer. it looks like you only have about 6" or so left to bring it forward to the face, and was curious what behind screen depth exists with that set-up. For example, if you're currently at say 24" behind screen, and only another 6" to go to get flush with the dormer, that's a good argument to pull the screen forward. If you have to go another foot with the wall, then that's another story. That's just how I would look at it...YMMV.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just want to bump wall out enough to get speakers back there. I think in that sketch I pulled the wall to far out. I not sure how much room I need back there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts