AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Sony AVR (STR-DA5300ES) used and I found that it was not working properly. It output sound reliably in analog direct mode with analog input sources, but sound output is intermittent with digital sources, and also digital fields. Sound can drop anywhere between 5 minutes to a few hours after startup. For instance, when the problem occurs it will output FM radio sound in 2 channel direct but not in one of the digital fields like Dolby or any other sound field that involves digital processing.

I sent the unit to Sony, but they returned it without performing repairs. They said the part was no longer available but they wouldn’t tell me which part was faulty. I am guessing the problem could be the DSP board (the daughterboard mounted on the digital board). I doubt it’s the digital board itself as the display indicates that it recognizes the incoming signal from a particular digital source.

Do you think this problem might get fixed if the DSP board is replaced? I have located a DSP board from another model DA3600ES. The two boards look very different but the connectors seem to match. Should I buy the other board and install it?

PS: interesting, I have been using it with digital sources for over a year despite these issues. It works great when it does, but it’s frustrating when it goes through these bouts of output dropping off.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I bought a Sony AVR (STR-DA5300ES) used and I found that it was not working properly. It output sound reliably in analog direct mode with analog input sources, but sound output is intermittent with digital sources, and also digital fields. Sound can drop anywhere between 5 minutes to a few hours after startup. For instance, when the problem occurs it will output FM radio sound in 2 channel direct but not in one of the digital fields like Dolby or any other sound field that involves digital processing.

I sent the unit to Sony, but they returned it without performing repairs. They said the part was no longer available but they wouldn’t tell me which part was faulty. I am guessing the problem could be the DSP board (the daughterboard mounted on the digital board). I doubt it’s the digital board itself as the display indicates that it recognizes the incoming signal from a particular digital source.

Do you think this problem might get fixed if the DSP board is replaced? I have located a DSP board from another model DA3600ES. The two boards look very different but the connectors seem to match. Should I buy the other board and install it?

PS: interesting, I have been using it with digital sources for over a year despite these issues. It works great when it does, but it’s frustrating when it goes through these bouts of output dropping off.
How old is it? Is it still under warranty?

You may need to do a hard reset or a firmware update.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How old is it? Is it still under warranty?

You may need to do a hard reset or a firmware update.
Not sure exactly how old it is, the seller didn't have a receipt. But Sony said its out of the 5-year warranty.
I have done the hard rest multiple times, but I haven't done a firmware update. How does one do a firmware update on this unit? Would I need a special cable for that? Wow, could it take something as simple as firmware update to fix this problem? My impression was the firmware update for this model was to help with HDMI handshake issues...

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Not sure exactly how old it is, the seller didn't have a receipt. But Sony said its out of the 5-year warranty.
I have done the hard rest multiple times, but I haven't done a firmware update. How does one do a firmware update on this unit? Would I need a special cable for that? Wow, could it take something as simple as firmware update to fix this problem? My impression was the firmware update for this model was to help with HDMI handshake issues...
If you didn't get a manual, here it is-
http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3209635114.pdf

Some brands use a USB port, some use a network port but I don't know this model, I just know that Denon and some others have periodically required a firmware update in order to work with new formats, etc.

Audio problems and HDMI handshake can be related.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you didn't get a manual, here it is-
http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3209635114.pdf

Some brands use a USB port, some use a network port but I don't know this model, I just know that Denon and some others have periodically required a firmware update in order to work with new formats, etc.

Audio problems and HDMI handshake can be related.
I have the manual but there no mention of firmware update in the manual. I also have the service manual, IIRC, no mention there either. I will pursue the firmware update.
Meanwhile, what do you think about replacing the DSP board with that of a new model's... bad idea?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have the manual but there no mention of firmware update in the manual. I also have the service manual, IIRC, no mention there either. I will pursue the firmware update.
Meanwhile, what do you think about replacing the DSP board with that of a new model's... bad idea?
If it's the same part number, great, as long as you can prove that's where the probem is. I seriously doubt a new model's DSP board will be compatible- they don't tend to use many parts from one series to the next and yours is at least two model years old.

Have you contacted Sony or one of their service centers? Call and ask if they have a more detailed troubleshooting process.

Do the hard reset first and see if it works. Unless you can't use something else and as much as I hate to think/say it, that one is getting to the point where spending a lot of money on it won't bring a good return- look at the price drops from one year to the next- the part you need may cost so much that it's not economically feasible.

For the record, I hate the fact that they make this stuff to be replaced, rather than repaired. This is one of the reasons I'm getting back into two-channel in my business. I'm an audio guy, anyway- the video problems are costing people far too much.

I'd like to see them make receivers that CAN do surround, but use a replaceable module so that when upgrades are necessary, it's not a matter of replacing the whole thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts