AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I've been a lurker here for quite sometime and absolutely love this forum, but I have a problem with my 5 month old Panasonic Tau 34" (CT34WX50) and it's starting to make me crazy. Hope you don't mind a long-winded message, but I have to make sure you understand what my problem is so that you can help me figure out what the heck is going on.

As stated, I've had it about 5 months now and I'm enjoying the heck out of this TV. The picture is stunning and just last week I bought the Toshiba DST3000 receiver, so I can get my local PBS HD signal. It's my first experience seeing Hi-Def outside of the A/V stores and I can say that I've been completely captivated by the HD image for the last week. All I want to do is watch PBS!! Nothing else will do. Even my once glorious DVD collection doesn't look so glorious anymore. Even though PBS offers mostly the same loops over and over, I never seem to get tired of it. I'm so pumped. Just wish my local CBS would get their butts in gear.

Anyway, I'm getting to my question. As you know, none of these TV's are perfect; they all have a flaw of some sort. And of course, I have a few flaws in my CT34WX50. It does have some hotspots on the sides and has that hint of a funhouse effect only on the far right side. Only noticeable in bright horizontal pans. But, I can accept all of those minor flaws for the magnificent HD picture it produces 99% of the time.

However, the one flaw that is driving me crazy is this....

For some reason, if I feed it a 480P or 1080i(540P) source, I get some strange distortions on certain areas of the screen when text is displayed. Let me explain what I see....

For example, on a DVD when the FBI warning or the green "Preview for General Audiences" screens appear, they have alot of white text. This white text appears to be slanted/bent to the right(almost Italicized?), but only in certain areas of the screen. Most noticeably on the left side near the center. Usually it's not noticeable in the dead center. At first I thought this was only a problem with a progressive signal, but since I've had my HD receiver, I notice it on 1080i as well. It's only ever noticeable with text on screen and with some graphics with straight lines (squares and rectangles). It doesn't effect the normal program material. My overall geometry is as good as I can get. Putting up test patterns from VE and Avia shows almost perfectly straight vertical and horizontal lines on all areas of the screen.

Here's another example...If I feed it my computer desktop (in 640x480 or 960x540), and pull up a program, say MS Outlook. Up in the toolbar where you have straight vertical lines that separate sets of toolbar buttons, every one of these lines bend horribly. And if I move the Outlook window around the desktop, the lines are still distorted, no matter where they are located on the screen.

One more example is when I bring up my setup screen for my DVD player (Pioneer DV-37). The graphics there have some straight lines, but in progressive mode these straight lines bend slightly. If I switch to 480i mode, the straight lines become straight again. Very frustrating!

It's not always noticeable with text or graphics. On most movie credits, it's not noticeable, but some larger text in the credits (against balck backgrounds) causes it and text that is on the far left or right side of the screen. During normal viewing it does show up sometimes when subtitles are displayed across the center at the bottom. Only when certain text/graphics are displayed AND it's most noticeable against a black background.

NOW!!! Having said all that, if you're still reading this, do you have any idea as to what this strange phenomenon could be? It's killing me not being able to correct it. If I knew what service menu item controlled it, I'd fix it. Does it sound like some sort of Voltage regulation/Power Supply problem? I originally thought it may be the Contrast, but even turning contrast to the minimum doesn't help. I've also made geometry adjustments such as Parallelogram, but still no luck

It's got to have something to do with how the set handles large amounts of Contrast or light output or the Power Supply is faulty. The reason I say this is that in teh needle pulse pattern on Avia and VE, the black line near the bottom does bend slightly, even with Contrast turned all the way down!

I'd really appreciate anyone's help on this. Would Panasonic work with me on resolving this or would it be better to have an ISF technician try to fix this? I always hate having to have a service guy come out because all they ever want to do is haul your set off to be fixed. I can't stand that. I want somebody to come in-house and fix it while I'm standing there.

Thanks in advance!

Eric

[email protected]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi:

I have the same set and am also enjoying it tremendously.

How are you connecting to the component video input on the Panasonic? Does your tuner output directly to component video or is it RGB that you are converting to component video?

The reason I ask is that what you describe looks like the special timing problem that the Panasonic has that makes the usual RGB to component converters such as Audio Authority, RCA, etc. not work right. There is only one converter that has a DIP switch to correct it. However, its name escapes me! I'll check it when I get back home and post again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My HD connection is straight Component to Component from the DST3000. My DVD player is also component to component. The only time I use a converter is with my HTPC. If I'm using the HTPC it's the Audio Authority running 960x540P. The problem is still there even using straight component to component connections. I get it running 1080i and 480p, but not with 480i. So it's nothing to do with the VGA to component converter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I assume you've already checked your geomagnetic correction?

Do you have speakers nearby that are not magnetically shielded? or any other magnetic or electromagnetic source?

I realize that you don't have it under some conditions and have it under others, but I'm kind of at a loss here.

Could it be the internal line doubler? the comb filter?

Just some random thoughts, I guess . . .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.