AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. i bought a fujitsu P50 16 days ago, and just discovered today how to access the service menu and the panel's internal timer that shows the hours of use.

when i checked out the clock, it said the display had been on for 401 hours, which is simply impossible since that would mean it had been on for more than 24 hours a day.

even if i had been using the plasma for an average of 12 hours a day, i would still have used it less than 200 hours.

is the only plausible explanation that the dealer sold me his display unit?

before i call the dealer and lose my mind i would like to have the sober input of other forum members - any P50 owners have similar experiences with their fuji's internal clocks?

thanks for any help you might be able to give - it's been a bad day for me (the dealer wasn't in the store 'cos it's good friday, so all i could do was stew in my own anger...)

- jd

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
OK, here's what I think, John...

Monitor Mode B shows an error listing. It appears this lsting is presented including the time an error occurred. At the bottom is a "Present time" counter shown in minutes.

Monitor Mode A shows a total in hours for RGB and for Video, and the "Total" hours. The "Total" hours is approximately identical to the "Present Time" minutes on the other menu.

I think the timer always runs when the unit has power. And this timer represents powered minutes/hours. It is used to track these "errors" whatever they may be, to know when they occurred relative to the current time.

The relevant counters representing actual screen-in-use time are the RGB and Video counters.

On my unit, which I've had for 41.5 days, here's my values:

RGB: 170h

Video: 206h

Total: 960h

Present time: 57621m

41.5 days is 996 hours

I'm also probably comfortable saying I've had the unit on for about 8 or 9 hours a day. If I'm home, it's usually on... except when I was rewiring it or mounting it. :)

BTW, I have no values displayed on the 4 fans, just "min". My fans are set to Mode0, which I understand to be minimum, only when necessary. So I'm guessing my fans have never come on. The temperature shown for my unit when I was looking at all this was 38C/92.4F.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
John, so 16 days * 24 hours is 384 hours, pretty much in line with mine. There was probably some sort of burn-in testing at the factory where the electronics was on for 24 hours give or take, too. Unless your RGB + Video times are out of line, you're probably just fine and can exit panic/anger mode now... and be thankful your salesman was off for the day, letting you think more about this. :D

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
doug,

i just turned on my set to check my numbers and it looks as though you're dead-on the money: when i checked yesterday, it said 401 hours total and now it says 418 hours (25084 minutes) despite the fact that i was out all day.

my "video" counter reads 189....

still seems a little high, since that would mean the panel was on for an average of 12 hours a day for the 16 days i've owned it. i guess my wife must have it on literally all the time when i'm at work...

at any rate, i'm really glad my dealer had closed his shop for the day.

thanks a ton, doug - i'm grateful for your having taken the time to check this out and talk me down :).....

take care,

- jd

·
23,031 Posts
Funny, i just posted the same questions regarding time in the thread

inquiring about the service mode command sequence.

It all makes sense now. My unit has been powered on for 66 days (correct)

and my viewing time is 165 RGB + 175 Video = 340 hours = 5.15 hrs/day.

That seems correct. Heavier use on weekends and a few hours

a day during the week.

And as I questioned in my other post, what about the "defaults" selection

and the serial port?

larry

·
23,031 Posts
Doug said: "So I'm guessing my fans have never come on."

I hope they have! My fans come on as soon as I power up the unit.

I thought there were only 2, the ones I could feel near the top.

When the unit gets hotter, the fans spin faster. When I shut

down my other gear before the plasma after viewing, I notice

the P50 is louder than when I first power it up. I just powered

it up cold, and the fans start spinning and I can feel a slight "breeze"

out the vents holes. Now that I know the service mode command,

I can check the temp when it's been running for a while. The unit

"puts out" a fair amount of heat.

Doug, you need a D1 too....

larry

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I have owned my P50 for 13 days and the readings in Mode A are:

RGB: 14h

Video: 64h

Total: 279

Temp: 84.9

There are 4 fans listed. There are no minutes indicated next to any of the fan #'s. It looks like this:

Fan

no.1 Min:

no.2 Min:

no.3 Min:

no.4 Min:

I have never heard the fans. I assume the absence of any numbers means they have not run? PooperScooper: You say you hear your fans. What are the minutes next to your fan #'s?

In Mode B it indicates "no error time". Hope that will help add to our understanding.:)

mleelan: To access the service menu push the enter button, on the remote, down until the menu appears.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DOBE
In Mode B it indicates "no error time". Hope that will help add to our understanding.:)
I'm pretty sure those are column headings, as in "Number", "Error" and "Time". All the space below it looks like space for a list, otherwise what's at the bottom would've been higher, I think.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Fan settings:

Mode0: all fans at minimum

Mode1: all fans at minimum

Mode2: all fans at "mid" (midway? middle? midrange? midspeed?)

Mode3: all fans at maximum (and you can hear it)

I suspect the differences between Mode0 and Mode1 are probably related to temperature levels causing the fans to increase speed at different setpoints.

It was a mistake thinking it was number of minutes reported on the screen.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Doug: So it looks like "min" is short for minimum not minutes. I wonder if Larry's fans are set to Mid or Max and that's why he hears them?

·
23,031 Posts
Dobe: My fans are at "min", the default. I hear them because I

have good ears. :) My neighborhood is quiet and I'm the only

person in the house to make noise.

I guess the 2nd pair of fans must be "down" inside the panel and

blow up to the fans at the vent holes. Just a guess. But the fans

at the top are not strong enough to pull the heat from the bottom.

Doug: You need a D1....

larry

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PooperScooper

[BDoug: You need a D1....[/b]
I sense you're trying to tell me something? :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.