AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made the mistake of plugging my philips plasma into a bad outlet. I heard a pop come from the outlet and saw a little spark, followed by a very small puff of smoke. The tv turns on just like normal. If a put it on tv mode (coax. antenna innput) it works fine, hd picture and all. The problem is when I try to use my hdmi inputs, I get nothing. No flicker... nothing. The menu screen for the tv comes on etc., but no picture. It makes me think I have an issue with a fuse. Are there fuses on plasmas on each section of inputs. Anyone dealt with a fuse on a plasma? Like i said its a philips plasma 50PF9830A37, but the internals are all Samsung from what i remember.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I don't know about the internals being Samsung..I assumed LG (Philips has a partnership with LG for lcd panels) but in any case it sounds like something got fried and it's probably going to be more than a simple fuse change. Sorry I couldn't be more help...contacting Philips would be your best option. (especially if it's still under warranty...as simply plugging it into an outlet shouldn't void the warranty)

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Usually hdmi fail from excessive physical stress on the hdmi cord/connector not power surges. Was the hdmi port tested working before you changed the power cord to another outlet? What is your hdmi source device? Tried another hdmi cord? Tried another hdmi source device? If none of that helps, then you will need to replace the SSB/Scaler board in the Tv. They are difficult to order because one Tv can have several different versions. They are difficult to install because after install you have to enter special secret codes to make it work right.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn /forum/post/16956851

Usually hdmi fail from excessive physical stress on the hdmi cord/connector not power surges. Was the hdmi port tested working before you changed the power cord to another outlet? What is your hdmi source device? Tried another hdmi cord? Tried another hdmi source device? If none of that helps, then you will need to replace the SSB/Scaler board in the Tv. They are difficult to order because one Tv can have several different versions. They are difficult to install because after install you have to enter special secret codes to make it work right.

Ya.. I know they fail because of stress, but it was working perfectly before I plugged it into the other outlet. The second hdmi port does not work either. I will tell you that the component inputs work fine. I need hdmi for my setup though. I tried to change the source, the cable, the input, you name it. How much do these ssb/scaler boards cost. Would the component and cable (coax screw on input) still work if the ssb board were the problem. As far as i can tell, everything works as well as before, just not the damn hdmi I really need.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsdsmith /forum/post/16957644

...How much do these ssb/scaler boards cost. Would the component and cable (coax screw on input) still work if the ssb board were the problem...

Yes, just the hdmi ports can fail while all other stuff works fine. I tried to look up a possible ssb part number for that Tv but could not find it. If you can find one, or should I say the right one, it will be around $250 give or take. Then there's the complex install.

·
Premium Member
18,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsdsmith /forum/post/16953875

I made the mistake of plugging my philips plasma into a bad outlet. I heard a pop come from the outlet and saw a little spark, followed by a very small puff of smoke. The tv turns on just like normal. If a put it on tv mode (coax. antenna innput) it works fine, hd picture and all. The problem is when I try to use my hdmi inputs, I get nothing. No flicker... nothing. The menu screen for the tv comes on etc., but no picture. It makes me think I have an issue with a fuse. Are there fuses on plasmas on each section of inputs. Anyone dealt with a fuse on a plasma? Like i said its a philips plasma 50PF9830A37, but the internals are all Samsung from what i remember.

There have been a number of reports here over the years of a lightning strike causing the HDMI inputs to blow out on various flat panel TVs. Maybe this short circuit somehow caused the HDMI input board to blow.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well,... I think I have decided to ignore the problem alltogether and get an hdfury2 hdmi to component converter, unless anyone thinks it is bad idea? That way I can use the hdmi pretty much the same way I have everything wired.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts