AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, maybe you all can help me on this!

I had planned on plasma for this room But the Plasma group seem to be pushing Projection, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1171952 at least some of them are, especially since I do not have the dollars for a Huge Plasma and looking at small screen size for projection.......

The first picture is what would be my primary sitting view which would be at a distance of 20 ft. In this picture you will see a half wall and the screen would be on the full wall behind it. There is 49 inches from the half wall to the ceiling, it is about 8 feet beyond the half wall to the full wall. As the half wall limits visibility I am reasoning I can not have much larger than a 106 " Screen?

Here is a left to right view of the room

I would prefer to keep the projector as near the right hand wall as I can , really do not want it in center room, which I am finding charts telling me I would want to be 12/14 feet from the screen wall to mount the projector, for this size. I was looking at HD20 and a couple others getting this info. Can I have the projector back say 18 feet and still work a 106 screen, or is there something decent I could do this with?

What are some choices in budget projection I should consider for this rooml?

Is a projection unit practical as a main night time Tv? (If I want it for daytime I realize I have to block the windows, but I also have a 50 inch Sony RpTv downstairs for daytime)

Do you all think projection is the way to go for this room?

Oh and I know I could simplify things by putting my sofa at the half wall and viewing towards the right in the picture making a smaller viewind distance, But for various reasons we wish to go the other way if we can work oout a good solution as far as Tv/Movies

The upstairs is getting closer to finished (Just finished the flooring 3 days ago)

I am getting excited to get my bigger screen up and running!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Several of you have looked, I know someone can offer some advice

I am really looking for advice!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think the window wall should be the viewing wall..The room should be more rectangular than square (w/ seating facing the shorter wall). Is this feasible? What is the distance from the half wall to the right wall? Is it wide enough for seating AND walking room?

Is the area with the half wall meant to be a bar area?

I think the screen will be too high (ideally) if you put it over the half wall.

As far as the throw distance, it will depend on the ratio of the projector - 18' at 106" sounds like a long throw for a small screen. I would think a 119" Diagonal would work at 18'

The room really looks more like a pool table room with a screen in the corner or on the right wall

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Nice bright room.. guess you will have blackout curtains on all the windows in case you want to watch during daylight hours?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes /forum/post/17025364

Nice bright room.. guess you will have blackout curtains on all the windows in case you want to watch during daylight hours?

Yes as I wrote, If I want it for daytime I realize I have to block the windows (but I also have a 50 inch Sony RpTv downstairs for daytime use)

Just wish I could get help with a few of my questions I had asked!

·
Registered
272 Posts
My sister has a house similar to yours, so I'm familiar with the "split-level" design. If it is like her's, i would recommend a plasma or other flat screen solution for this room and have the projector room on the lower level, taking advantage of the elongated space down there. The space upstairs is way to open to handle a projection set up with light from the stairwell window, living room window, and the joining dinning and kitchen areas as well. IMO, it would be ideal for a 50-54" flat screen to be on a stand or mounted on the half wall where your stairwell is. Option two would be down off the window wall, about a foot in front of the window, for viewing the set at the dinner table or from the kitchen. The lower level of these split level homes are almost perfect for a home theater area. That is if you don't have it filled up with storage and kids stuff like my sister does. haha

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm going to agree with the few others that posted here. I don't think that room is really right for a projector (unless your single or have a VERY understanding wife).

The issue with the room is the windows, the wood and the current color of the room. All of which are not conducive to a good projector viewing experience. I'd say you were probably closer with your first instinct in going with a flat panel. If you go plasma, you need to really look for something that has a good anti-glare tech. Most of them you see at bestbuy will be placed in a way that you can look for something like that (you just might have to walk around to a different area of the store).

If you dont find any that do a good job in dissipating glare (which i would guess shouldn't be too tough of a task, but you never know), then look at an LCD. Yes i know LCDs are pretty much second fittle in every way shape and fashion (as far as PQ goes), but in this room, it might just call for that sacrifice.

The only way to make this work is to buy heavy curtains (black out cloth or something else that REALLY kills ANY light from those GIANT windows). Most curtains like that do not pass wife approval (believe me). After that, i'd RECOMMEND (not a requirement, but there will be a big difference) painting the walls a darker color. It helps in all kinds of good way with a projector. At that point, you can really do whatever you want as far as projectors go. you can get a light cannon 720 for a drop in the bucked (under a grand) and a 96" screen to fill it for about 3-400 bucks. In the end you get a giant screen, a nice av room, and you've saved money. 720p's for your room, go with the Epson 720 or Panasonic AX-200. a good 1080 for your room would probably be the Epson 6100 (decent price and relatively high lumen), but at the distance you're sitting and the budget it seems you're looking for, id recommend a 720p. I think you'll get a better run from it in the end. I'd REALLY recommend against the HD20 or similar (aka

Also, please remember that projectors don't have the life span that Plasma's and LCD's have. 3-4k hours per bulb. We're not talking 60k hours anymore.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringals /forum/post/17026127

My sister has a house similar to yours, so I'm familiar with the "split-level" design. If it is like her's, i would recommend a plasma or other flat screen solution for this room and have the projector room on the lower level, taking advantage of the elongated space down there. The space upstairs is way to open to handle a projection set up with light from the stairwell window, living room window, and the joining dinning and kitchen areas as well. IMO, it would be ideal for a 50-54" flat screen to be on a stand or mounted on the half wall where your stairwell is. Option two would be down off the window wall, about a foot in front of the window, for viewing the set at the dinner table or from the kitchen. The lower level of these split level homes are almost perfect for a home theater area. That is if you don't have it filled up with storage and kids stuff like my sister does. haha

Well you have a good understanding of the house mostly.....

Lower level would not be great as it has been divided up and finished out, the lower level was set up with full inlaw quarters, Has bed rood, bathroom, full kitchen, laundry room, utility room and a smalle LR/Den room which is where my 50 inch Sony RpTv sits along with my computer desk and all....And with the remodel that has been going on the down stairs is at the moment packed extra full, it gets the remodel when upstairs is done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reikoshea /forum/post/17026314

I'm going to agree with the few others that posted here. I don't think that room is really right for a projector (unless your single or have a VERY understanding wife).

The issue with the room is the windows, the wood and the current color of the room. All of which are not conducive to a good projector viewing experience. I'd say you were probably closer with your first instinct in going with a flat panel. If you go plasma, you need to really look for something that has a good anti-glare tech. Most of them you see at bestbuy will be placed in a way that you can look for something like that (you just might have to walk around to a different area of the store).

If you dont find any that do a good job in dissipating glare (which i would guess shouldn't be too tough of a task, but you never know), then look at an LCD. Yes i know LCDs are pretty much second fittle in every way shape and fashion (as far as PQ goes), but in this room, it might just call for that sacrifice.

The only way to make this work is to buy heavy curtains (black out cloth or something else that REALLY kills ANY light from those GIANT windows). Most curtains like that do not pass wife approval (believe me). After that, i'd RECOMMEND (not a requirement, but there will be a big difference) painting the walls a darker color. It helps in all kinds of good way with a projector. At that point, you can really do whatever you want as far as projectors go. you can get a light cannon 720 for a drop in the bucked (under a grand) and a 96" screen to fill it for about 3-400 bucks. In the end you get a giant screen, a nice av room, and you've saved money. 720p's for your room, go with the Epson 720 or Panasonic AX-200. a good 1080 for your room would probably be the Epson 6100 (decent price and relatively high lumen), but at the distance you're sitting and the budget it seems you're looking for, id recommend a 720p. I think you'll get a better run from it in the end. I'd REALLY recommend against the HD20 or similar (aka

Also, please remember that projectors don't have the life span that Plasma's and LCD's have. 3-4k hours per bulb. We're not talking 60k hours anymore.

Yes have mixed feel for the projector up there Really appreciate your suggestions as I am very projector ignorant.....We actually are taking the paint a darker color, Not as dark as you may suggest but sort of a ragged color a little darker than a light brown sued leather maybe? over a lighter shade It would reduce reflections.

The bottom of the stairwell is a closed door so that helps some But it is going to be a light color carpet on stairs which would be more light reflection I imagine. Outside are no streetlights near me and there is a large covered porch in front of the windows so it gets pretty dark Not as Black as would be preferred but I think it could be done.....Not as I would prefer but do able.

If the truth were known, I think wife likes the idea of projection more than I,

But with bulb life and all I may be able to discourage her on this And her first choice is still flat panel But she is pushing hard for on the stair full wall not elsewhere......Projection is not my first choice!

Because of the finished room below, wiring could be a little difficult, requiring more creativity If I would go with sitting on something at the half wall for Tv placment.

We are discussing shutters or shears or curtains for the rectangle window, and the half round window is getting a custom shade I can close if and when needed to help battle glare But again our main concern is night time viewing.

BTW, our downstairs , all of the curtains are black out curtains, wifes idea at that! (Just to share) So we could go with black outs to allow earlier viewing.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
This is going to be a difficult setup. The first things you are going to have to consider with a projector are the offset, lens shift and throw distance.

Offset is primarily a DLP limitation. It determines how far the screen must be below the lens centerline. It will be listed as a percentage. You multiply this percentage by the screen height to get the offset distance. So for example if the screen height is 50" and the offset is listed as 20% then the drop needed for the screen is 10" relative to the lens centerline (you must also add in the lens centerline to ceiling distance to determine to the total drop). With your room an offset along with the half wall will effect the screen size.

Lens shift is found mainly on LCD and a few more expensive DLPs. It allows the projector to be above or below the screen and slightly off the centerline of the screen. This differs by model and you will need to look at each projectors specifications. If a projector lacks lens ****, such as the HD20 it will need to be mounted in the center of the screen.

Throw distance is a function of the lens and it's zoom. You will need to look at the specifications of the projector look at its maximum throw vs. screen size. For example the HD20 can throw a 106" from a maximum of 13'11".

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...ulator-pro.htm

So this is a big consideration. 18' with a 106" screen will need a very long throw projector to work. You'll have to do research to find a projector that will fit this requirement.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens /forum/post/17026765

This is going to be a difficult setup. The first things you are going to have to consider with a projector are the offset, lens shift and throw distance.

Offset is primarily a DLP limitation. It determines how far the screen must be below the lens centerline. It will be listed as a percentage. You multiply this percentage by the screen height to get the offset distance. So for example if the screen height is 50" and the offset is listed as 20% then the drop needed for the screen is 10" relative to the lens centerline (you must also add in the lens centerline to ceiling distance to determine to the total drop). With your room an offset along with the half wall will effect the screen size.

Lens shift is found mainly on LCD and a few more expensive DLPs. It allows the projector to be above or below the screen and slightly off the centerline of the screen. This differs by model and you will need to look at each projectors specifications. If a projector lacks lens ****, such as the HD20 it will need to be mounted in the center of the screen.

Throw distance is a function of the lens and it's zoom. You will need to look at the specifications of the projector look at its maximum throw vs. screen size. For example the HD20 can throw a 106" from a maximum of 13'11".

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...ulator-pro.htm

So this is a big consideration. 18' with a 106" screen will need a very long throw projector to work. You'll have to do research to find a projector that will fit this requirement.

Thanks for the info

I am slowly learning So if we go projector Route We will Probably need to go LCD/720......The top of my picture needs to be near the ceiling which sounds terrible But in reality when you are sitting at say 19 feet and look across the room, It is a very natural and comfy view But to get screen size as large as I can for this space I have to be close will the lense shift of most LCDs allow this (As near as I can figure a 106 inch screen is as large as I can get above the half wall, if I can get picture very close to ceiling)

How will a 106 or just a bit smaller look sitting from say 18 /19 feet back? (Wall is 20 feet so I am figuring it would be 18/19 on a sofa) Oh and yes I can mount projector as close as I have to If I went this route, Just thought it would be nicer at the edge of the room rather than in the center.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Having the screen near the top of the wall isn't really a big issue.

From 18/19 feet back, you're gonna want to shoot the biggest image allowable.

Where would you mount your speakers is your issue, unless going ceiling or inwall speakers......

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Lens shift will allow you to mount the projector slightly off center and within the border of the screen. So for your application I would certainly look to 720p LCD projectors. I would also mount the projector closer to the screen to get it away from being over the seating area. That will cut down on the fan noise. It will also open up your selection. 18-19' will lessen the impact of a 106" image. Moving the seating up, would be a good idea if you can manage it without killing your room layout. To increase the screen size for movie watching you could invest in an anamorphic lens and a 2.37:1 screen. That would work within the same height, but would make the screen wider (a 106" 16:9 screen would be 92" wide, whereas the scope screen would be 123" wide). If you go that route be sure the projector you buy supports it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I must say learning more I am starting to think a projector could be done

Yes it would not be perfect, I will not get the room totally black as could be desired But it is looking like this could possibly be a choice.......

I could see advantages to a plasma, but I could see other advantages to projection as the room is not going to be perfect and I do not have dollars for what it would take to really Do magic, I will have to settle for maybe pretty good/decent So perhaps I could hit pretty good/decent this way as budget stops me from getting 65 inch plasma which would still be on the small side if we place where wife wishes If we went inside the half wall then I could do plasma so it is still compromise

Which is the bigger compromise, doing this room in projection or Plasma?

(With the parameters we have given)

Still have concerns about bulb life though, Can not go several bulbs a year, 1 maybe but not more.....what really is typical 3-4 hours a night week ends perhaps more is this realistic to even consider?

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
If you were looking at 30hrs per week usage, then you would put 1560hrs a year on your bulb. So about 1.5-2yrs per bulb. Have you thought about putting in a recessed motorized screen to move the screen closer to your viewing location? When the screen is raised it makes no impact on the rooms look.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens /forum/post/17027970

If you were looking at 30hrs per week usage, then you would put 1560hrs a year on your bulb. So about 1.5-2yrs per bulb. Have you thought about putting in a recessed motorized screen to move the screen closer to your viewing location? When the screen is raised it makes no impact on the rooms look.

Not a lot of thought put into projection tv/screens any of it, as it was not really a considered option before now

This is why I have posted getting Ideas and suggestions from you all as I have NO projection experience!

Really I am learning and sorting any suggestions to make a new game plan for this room as far as Tv/Movies go.

·
Registered
237 Posts
a retractable screen would work well if you didnt want to have to view over the railing but also didnt want to clutter your space with more cords. its a very good recommendation. the only down side is the cost difference between fixed frame (similar to a painting) or a pull down/electric (similar to what teachers use for overheads and such).

As much as i love plasma TVs when it comes to relaxing with your wife there is nothing better than a projector. Reason to keep the lights down low. You want to be in the middle of the screen to get the best image possible, and you save money on going to the movies every weekend. Its awesome in all kinds of ways. Movies and TV are exponentially better on a projector, even a low end. Games on the other hand are a little more difficult (for me) to play on a projector. I need a little background light (dont know why) and the contrast difference is noticeable....especially on FPSes.

If you're not worried about getting pwn'd in CoD4 then go with the projector over the Plasma. If you get any of the 3 PJ's i suggested then you can easily have friends over for football or something with a decent amount of light (for the love of god dont uncover those windows though). the Epson 6100 and 720 and the Panny ax200u are all 3 flexible on placement and high lumen (the 6100 is actually rated lower than the 720 but has a brighter image when viewed in real life). All 3 can be used on an overcast day with the windows open. I'd also suggest going with a high contrast screen if you're a sports fan like me. Helps a lot with day time viewing.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TESmith /forum/post/17023786

Hello, maybe you all can help me on this!

I had planned on plasma for this room But the Plasma group seem to be pushing Projection, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1171952 at least some of them are, especially since I do not have the dollars for a Huge Plasma and looking at small screen size for projection.......

The first picture is what would be my primary sitting view which would be at a distance of 20 ft. In this picture you will see a half wall and the screen would be on the full wall behind it. There is 49 inches from the half wall to the ceiling, it is about 8 feet beyond the half wall to the full wall. As the half wall limits visibility I am reasoning I can not have much larger than a 106 " Screen?

I would prefer to keep the projector as near the right hand wall as I can , really do not want it in center room, which I am finding charts telling me I would want to be 12/14 feet from the screen wall to mount the projector, for this size. I was looking at HD20 and a couple others getting this info. Can I have the projector back say 18 feet and still work a 106 screen, or is there something decent I could do this with?

What are some choices in budget projection I should consider for this rooml?

Is a projection unit practical as a main night time Tv? (If I want it for daytime I realize I have to block the windows, but I also have a 50 inch Sony RpTv downstairs for daytime)

Do you all think projection is the way to go for this room?

Oh and I know I could simplify things by putting my sofa at the half wall and viewing towards the right in the picture making a smaller viewind distance, But for various reasons we wish to go the other way if we can work oout a good solution as far as Tv/Movies

The upstairs is getting closer to finished (Just finished the flooring 3 days ago)

I am getting excited to get my bigger screen up and running!

I would not set things up as you are planning. You will have issues getting good sound. Someone coming up the stairs could get an eye full from the projector.

If It were my room, I'd make a screen that entirely covered the large window. I'd put a tinted film on the glass on both windows so that they would look normal from outside.

The money you save on curtains would pay for the projector. A well done 120" DIY screen viewed anywhere from 16 to 20 feet would be perfect. If they are still available, an Infocus X10 1080p DLP should work nicely.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts