AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am connecting my SB Live Digital card to my Onkyo AVR via a digital coaxial cable. I set up both Media Player/FFDShow and the SB Live software to output digital only. When I played an AC3 file last night, the 'Dolby Digital' indicator on my AVR lights up, which means it is receiving a DD signal, however I couldn't turn my AVR to the 'DD' surround mode.

Usually, when I play a DVD through my DVD Player, the 'Dolby Digital' indicator would turns on and my receiver automatically switch to the 'Dolby Digital' surround mode. This did not happen with the AC3 MKV file that I've played on my PC. Any one have any idea? Thanks

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
You must be using a filter for your AC3, eg. ac3filter 1.46. open up the filter control panel and look at your settings.

Finally, don't forget that some video files are encoded with AC3 2.0, i.e. dolby digital, but NOT surround. This is especially true of older movies and some TV shows.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not realize that AC3 file could be 2.0, I'd assumed that it's 5.1. Anyway that i can tell if the file is 2.0 or 5.1? I've tried using AviCodec, but didn't see it. Maybe I didn't know what to look for?

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
If you're using ffdshow audio decoder, check the osd (onscreen display) option. Info about your audio file will now be displayed on your screen. Codec, sampling rate and channel info should be displayed iirc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts