AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an Olevia 47" in Dec '07, and stopped working.

The outer screen is fine - no scratches, dents etc., but when the TV is turned on, there is a no picture, expect what looks like a "star" crack in the bottom right corner and a line that extends upwards.

Does this mean that my LCD is cracked, even when the outer glass has no damage.

The TV was not dropped, but the kids were playing around it with a ball and could have possibly thrown the ball at the TV.

I have contacted the Olevia's service dept. and they want me to e-mail them the pictures.

Any input will be greatly appreciated. If the TV is shot, any suggestion for the use - actually humorous or a "smart azz" suggestion might make me smile while taking the $1500 loss.....

Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphi01 /forum/post/12901765

If the TV is shot, any suggestion for the use - actually humorous or a "smart azz" suggestion might make me smile while taking the $1500 loss.....

Thanks in advance....

Hang it across from your toilet or in the shower. Also, some people buy broken lcd's on ebay for quite a bit more than you would expect.

And don't jump to conclusions and blame your kids, any number of things could have happened.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed, the kids might have not done it. Might be something faulty with the TV.

But we had gone upstairs and kids were playing downstairs alone. Also, the 3 yr old told me that he scored a goal at the TV.

Next morning the TV was not working.

My main question is - can the LCD be broken without the outer glass being broken?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Obviously it can because yours is. Send the pictures to Olivia. Don't offer all the goal and kids info as you don't really know what happened and the exterior is fine. Maybe cold/warm temperature problems caused an unusual event inside the tv, that could happen. See what happens.

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphi01 /forum/post/12902546

Attachment 100061

Here are some pictures....

Note: Also posted this in the Olevia thread...

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry man, I couldn't resist, but yeah, that looks like the tv took a whack. Most LCDs, unless I am mistaken, do not have any kind of outer glass, unless you maybe count some of the glossy Samsungs (71 series, for example). Usually what you have up front is the LCD panel itself, with the backlight directly behind.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yeah sorry to say dude but that is an impact mark on the Crystal sheeting inside the panel. The panel actually has an outer, thin plastic, protective layer but as you can see that bends or can be warped with the inner sheeting taking damage.

Suggestions for use, either ebay it for parts or take the panel out and make a goal for your kids outside. Gives them a nice small target to shoot for!

·
Registered
636 Posts
man that sucks..... I think its an inside job. The 3 year old determined that a 47" tv wasnt getting it done for Sponge Bob. I think you should haul the kid in for questioning and get the real scoop!
Maybe the 3 year old frequents AVS.

Alternative use -- buy a lava lamp and place it on the left side of the TV. When entertaining fire up the tv and the lava lamp.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts