AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I am about to swap out my defective Mits SR-5 (have had multiple issues with a couple of the Mits boxes)with a DTC-100. My dealer is telling me that you cannot use S-video with the DTC-100 and get at the installation menus (signal strength, etc.). He wants me to use regular RCA cables to get non - HD output along with the RGB cable for HD. Does this make sense to anyone?? Isn't the SD PQ better with s-video than regular RCA cables?

Thanks.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Doesn't make any sense. Yes, S-video is better than composite. You get menus with the VGA out just fine.

I think what he may have been saying is that you can't get s-video AND VGA out at the same time.

Hope that helps

EAS

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Pardon my ignorance as I have not seen a DTC-100 yet, but if I'm using s-video for the non HD feed, what would I use the VGA out for? Wouldn't I just have the RGB for HD and s-video for SD? Please clarify.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Though not really the same, VGA and RGB are used interchangeably when people talk about the HD output of the RCA. It's an RGB signal using a standard VGA connector.

EAS is right, though. You can connect both cable to the TV, but you will only be able to watch one or the other. No current STB will output HD and SD at the same time. Also, you may not need the s-video connection to your TV at all. You can watch the SD stations via the HD output. The DTC-100 "upconverts" the SD signal to 1080i (or actually 540p). Try both ways. You may find that you are satisfied with this picture. I have the s-video output connected to my VCR, but use HD for all my viewing.

SMK

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Let me see if I have this straight:

1) You can get the installation menus, but only on the VGA/RGB connection, not S-video.

2) You can't use HD and SD at the same time.

3) You can use RGB to view SD output, but it will be upconverted to 1080. If this is so, I believe I will have an issue with my Pioneer locking in full mode.

4) S-video will provide a better picture than composite, but worse than RGB. So I have three options for SD: 1) Use RGB and be forced into full mode, 2) use S-video and not be able to get at installation menus without switching to RGB/VGA or 3) use composite and have lowest picture quality.

Right??

·
Registered
807 Posts
As far as I know, you can get at all the menu options using s-video. I had a DTC-100 hooked up to my analog set with s-video for a while and I could get to the aspect ratio settings, monitor setup, guides, signal strength meter... If there was anything I couldn't get to, I didn't know that I was missing it.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lwhitman:

1) You can get the installation menus, but only on the VGA/RGB connection, not S-video.
I don't know of any menus that you can't get to via the s-video output.

Quote:
2) You can't use HD and SD at the same time.
This is correct. If the HD monitor light is illuminated, then the VGA (RGB) output is active, and composite and s-video are deactivated. And vice-versa.

Quote:
3) You can use RGB to view SD output, but it will be upconverted to 1080. If this is so, I believe I will have an issue with my Pioneer locking in full mode.
Completely correct.

Quote:
4) S-video will provide a better picture than composite, but worse than RGB. So I have three options for SD: 1) Use RGB and be forced into full mode, 2) use S-video and not be able to get at installation menus without switching to RGB/VGA or 3) use composite and have lowest picture quality.
Some prefer the full mode output of upconverted RGB. Some prefer s-video and the ability to let the tv alter the picture mode. Actually the lowest picture quality would be RF or coax. That would be a the lowest end TVs.

Rich

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.