AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a DTC 100. I set it up and everything works fine. However, I believe I am only getting 480P for my resoulution. I have a NEC XG135, which could do 1080i. The reason I believe I am only getting 480p is that my horizontal sync is only @ 30+ KHz (can't remember the exact frequency). I went into the DTC set up and there was something for retrace time. Do I have to set this to short retrace to get 1080i? If so which retrace should I set it to? So far I am getting HD-HBO, OTA HD, and the HD demo channel. All of them sync at 30+ KHz. Is my expectation of 1080i or 720P at different frequencies incorrect?

Thanks for any help anyone could offer!

C. Lee

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
The DTC-100 will only output 1080i, or 540p on the RGBHV DB-15 connector. 1080i will be for all HD sources, 540p will be for all non-HD sources (SDTV, NTSC, standard DirecTV). You can not change this.

It does not matter what timing you use, as far as resolution goes. All three timing choices will output the resolutions as mentioned above.

If you are going RGBHV into your NEC, the middle choice, Short Retrace (EIA770.3 Timing), should be your best bet.

All current HDTV horizontal scan rates are in the range (30-35 kHz) your projector is telling you.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ken:

Thanks for the reply! In my case I can see scan some faint lines when I am close to the screen with HD sources! Scan lines are not visible with my HTPC DVD source. I thought HD sources looks better than DVD? Am I missing something with my projector setup? I have seen HD sources on front projector before and they look great. The color is vibrant, sharp and no scan lines!

C. Lee

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
C. Lee,

The visibility of scan lines upon close inspection of a 1080i image is your assurance that your display is capable of adequate resolution to display a 1080i image. I'd be worried if I couldn't see the scan lines!

------------------

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I believe RCA sells a DTC100 companion converter box for about a hundred bucks or so that converts the SVGA output to composit or other connections. I don't know the model number, but check with Best Buy, Circuit City or Good Guys (find someone in the store who knows what the're talking about if you can).

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Casemiro,

The transcoder that RCA (also available from Audio Authority & Key Digital) offers for the DTC-100 will only convert RGBHV to component video. Either way the output is 1080i, it will not change the bandwidth, resolution or scan rate of the video signal.

Since the Sony Hi-Scan Video 5 input can accept either RGBHV or wideband component video, the transcoder is not needed. Actually, it is a $130 unnecessary expense for any set that can accept RGBHV and slightly degrades performance, compared to the $40-$50 cost of a standard computer RGBHV breakout cable and 5 BNC to RCA adaptors.

The transcoder is only necessary: If you want to use the DTC-100, and your HDTV Monitor can only accept wideband component video input.

And the likelihood of finding someone at BB or CC who "knows what the're talking about if you can", is slim to none. You are pretty new to this I assume, so trust me on this one. Members here can regale you with hilarious stories about the "highly trained personnel" these places employ.

Welcome to the AVS HDTV Forum.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 05-15-2001).]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ken:

Thanks. One more question! Last year at CEDIA, I saw a SONY G90 output 1080i and I don't recall seeing any scan lines. What did they do to get rid of the lines? Or did my eyes deceived me?

Thanks.

C. Lee

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
They might have been upconverting to 1080p...or maybe the projector focus and/or convergence wasn't spot on. Most likely, at CEDIA, you were looking at 1080p.

------------------

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.