AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm amazed - i expected the DVD to be sooo much better than my VHS player that i'm totally demoralized now.

Basically, what happened is my friend came over with his PS2, and we plugged it into the PJ's (1030Q1) composite. Dimmed the lights, and turned on Not Another Teen Movie. Shiiit! Is this video by mistake? Checked all the connections, everything is ok, but the image is crap. It is widescreen, but that's about all the difference there is between that and my VCR.

I know the PS2 doesn't offer a very good PQ, but i definitely expected much better.

Tell me i shouldn't sell it and buy a 21 incher! :p

So what can be done without pumping $$$$ into this 60lb paperweight?

Mark :mad:

·
Registered
16,585 Posts
Mark ,

-- the PS2 is not a solid DVD player and should never be considered as such . Your problem is that you are using the composite input and that will not give you good results with DVD material [ especially with a ps2 ] . You should seriously consider either a HTPC or even a Line Doubler to get more out of that unit [ using composite will only show you a small fraction of what the 103X series sony's can do ] . I realize that these other devices cost more money but they are needed to push the paperweight up to an actual projector ;) .

--- Best Wishes ,

---- Jason Berg

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You convinced me.

I'm going off to Audio Authority to look for their transcoder. Doesn't anyone else make a cheaper one? 180 clams is a bit too much to shell out on a small black box! ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Keep in mind that the $180 transcoder will only allow you to hook up component inputs to the 1031. It will not give you a progressive signal if the DVD player is not progressive. The transcoder is a good idea if you have (or will buy) a progressive DVD player. Once you add the $180 for the transcoder and ~$250 for a progressive player, you'll be approaching the cost of an entry level HTPC. Mind you, the HTPC will not be a plug and play setup, but the picture will blow you away.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Yes, you may also consider an nice entry level line doubler. That would probably run you anywhere from $200 to $300 but a progressive image makes all the difference in the world. I see interlaced on my 1031Q and it makes me want to vomit. The extra cost is DEFINATELY worth it considering these projectors are dirt cheap to begin with. No conventional (interlaced) television set can come close to touching the quality of a 103X being fed a progressive signal. I'd argue that the 1031Q beats out ANY RPTV, even HDTVs. It may not be capable of 1080i, but I prefer a progressive image to an interlaced one - more realistic and no damn obvious scan lines. The 1030Q is not far behind the 1031Q. If you can bear the bugginess and spudder of an HTPC running Windows then that is the way to go without a question! Plus all a line doubler can do is line double. An HTPC is capable of so much more.

·
Registered
155 Posts
BTW Mike, the 1031Q IS capable of 1080i (not the 1030Q though). It just can't fully resolve it, but then again, neither can any RP HDTV with 7" guns. I figured that's what you meant. Thought I'd just clarify

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Yep, my bad. The 1031Q can do 540p => 1080i. 1080i is crap anyway. I saw the Olympics at 1080i on a 1292 and even though the resolution rocks you still see horiz lines during motion. I don't see images interlaced in real life so why should I have to see them in video? Ah yes, bandwidth limitations. Give me 480p anyday, that is until we get 1080p (mouth watering here).

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, seeing all the replies here, i bought a Toshiba SD3750. Anyone know of this unit? I'm going to use component, yes.

I would buy an iScan v2, but it is too expensive to buy an interlaced player and then do all that, so i'm just going to live with this for now until i build an HTPC. I'm shifting colleges in the fall, and i'll make a PC then.

PS: I didn't know it was capable of 1080i!!! :eek:

Even driving 480p is pushing the scan rates on mine! :(

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Yeah, I was speaking about the 1031Q. I made my first 1031Q a paper weight by feeding it 768p. Forgot to switch my PC from 1024x768 to 720x480 and there she blew! Fortunately I was able to get it repaired ($85 short of what I paid for it!). Ah well - a lesson well learned - Get a dedicated HTPC!

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Wait a sec. You _SHOULD_ see some difference in PQ with the DVD player, even with only the composite input. If not, check the condition of your tubes, your focus, convergence, etc.

Curt

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also had the same experience when I played a dvd for the first time on my sony 1272. I was very disappointed with the picture, especially with the scan lines. With the help of the forum I was able to find an inexpensive line doubler scaler, that works very well for us newbies who are just beginning on a budget. Mind you, this is not anywhere close to a dvdo iscan, so I have read, but since I have never seen a isan in action, I don't know what I'm missing. I think that the picture is very good with this unit. Here is the link that helped me discover this unit for only $99. I have used it for 2 months already and it is good enough to last me until I can afford an iscan.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=viewsonic+vb

The unit is the viewsonic vb50hrtv. I hope that this will be helpful to someone. This is the link to place that I bought it from, it looks like the price has come down. For the price you can't go wrong.

http://www.pcnation.com/asp/details.asp?item=383583

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.