AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Antec MX-01 external e-SATA case with a WD 1.5TB drive to move all my movies off an internal drive to reduce heat. I created two partitons, one for the movies and the second for timeshifting for Mediaportal 1.1 RC1.

Everything was running fine for a few weeks, but lately I am having stuttering problems with videos and live TV if I run them off the external drive. This only seems to occur after I come out of standby. It will not happen instantly.. it may starting stuttering after 1 hour or not at all. If I reboot, everything works fine.

If I change the timeshift files to come off an internal SATA drive I don't have any problems. This is not ideal, as I wanted to reduce heat issues and therefore run timeshifting off an external drive. The movie issue is still a big one though.

Currently, the SATA drives are set to IDE in the BIOS.

Any ideas would be great!

My machine specs:

Windows XP SP3

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H R1.0 F11

AMD Athlon X2 4800+ CPU

4GB DDR2 800 RAM

Samsung 160GB drive (boot drive)

WD 640GB drive (internal)

LG Blu-ray drive

Zotac 9600GT 1GB

·
Registered
3 Posts
zanlation I cannot help you directly with your problem but I would like to put something in perspective for you. If you were to leave the timeshifting to an internal drive, yes that drive would run warmer. That said, you are currently running two internal hard drives; One heavily loaded drive is going to run decidedly cooler than two low-load hard drives.

Unless it is simply an issue of disk space and your 640GB drive is full, I see no reason for you to use two internal hard drives. I will concede that, if both drives are full, it's probably not a good use of your money to buy a 1TB hard drive in order to cut down on the number of hard drives you are running, but I wanted to suggest this if you haven't already thought of it yourself.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
brian_the_king: I use the first internal drive (160Gb) for operating system and timeshifting (because of stuttering on external) and the second drive for recordings. Potentially, both internal drives would be working hard, as one is timeshifting and the other is recording. I have read that timeshifting and recording on the one drive is not ideal.

I am getting temperatures of 40C+ (sometimes 50C for the 160GB drive) for internal drives when both are working hard. I have a 120mm fan running to pull hot air from these drives to another top mounted 120mm which blows out of the case. When I move timeshifting external, temperatures drop into the 30Cs for both drives. The external drive runs at a nice 28C all the time, including when timeshifting.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanlation /forum/post/18274418

brian_the_king: I use the first internal drive (160Gb) for operating system and timeshifting (because of stuttering on external) and the second drive for recordings. Potentially, both internal drives would be working hard, as one is timeshifting and the other is recording. I have read that timeshifting and recording on the one drive is not ideal...

Makes sense, I didn't fully understand what you were up to before. Good luck resolving the problem, I'm not what else you could try... especially since a reboot fixes things that rules out the speed of the eSATA connection being a culprit.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Just a shot n the dark. Since the drives are set to IDE, does DMA apply, ie is it possible that the drive is somehow getting set to PIO mode. Also is it formatted in 64 k clusters, that can make a huge difference. Are either of the partitions very full or badly fragmented?

BB

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Recording and/or playing back multiple HDTV streams simultaneously to a 4k cluster formatted drive can (and does) cause stuttering due to head thrashing. Formatting the drive with 64k clusters reduces the read/write operations by a factor of 16 (64/4=16) and eliminates the problem.

BB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts