Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This projector is driving me nuts. ...

I got it mounted on the ceiling ..finally... but can't help but feel that it's going to fall on my head someday :) (my couch is directly below the PJ)

I converge it..turn it off for a while ..and got to converge it again... did a search and discovered I probably need a new dallas chip...

Now, I can't focus the $%&$# blue crt. I did a search and know that the blue crt is supposed to be a little off anyway because of gray scale but the lines and dots on the grid seem to be much thicker then the red and green. I know this isn't normal because I can see a blue halo on the image at times after convergence.

The question is that if I take the lens off, the crt seems to be focused fine... the lines don't seem any thicker on the blue then on the blue and green.. so I suspect it is a mecahanical adjustment. I am guessing that those hex bolts on the front of the lens are all out of adjustment... does anyone out their have any advise on how to adjust these bolts from scratch???? Am I on the right track?

Thanks!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Not going to be too much help here, but thought I'd throw in my quick experience with my ECP thus far.

The blue focus on my ECP drives me nuts also! Its the hardest color to see, and it never seems to be focused correctly, but when I put a dvd on it looks 'fine' (but then again, maybe it could look better)... To start over from scratch with the hex bolts, you *should* just be able to set the gap at 1" (I use calipers for this) and go from there - if that is really where your problem originates.

I see a little 'halo' effect on mine also - Although I dont see any fungus through the glass, I'm planning on pulling the tube and checking just in case. Fungus can cause focus problems.

As for the dalls chip - it sounds like its time for a new one. I JUST installed my new chip (its a DS1230Y-150), got it from: http://www.newark.com/ seems to be working good right now, and it fixed a few small quirks I was having with convergence & the menus.

--Eric

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wondering if any one has the default settings for the mounting plate for the lens (the ones with the hex screws). Mine are all ot of wack and the one with the red cap was adjusted out of the default setting. anybody out there know?

·
Registered
23 Posts
One inch is the magic number for the air gap for the lenses. That's one inch exactly. Then don't touch the ones with the red caps. Good luck :)

Rich

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!

It turns out that the blue crt is the problem. As long as the contrast is down (around 2), the lines on the grid seem fine and in focus.... as I turn the contrast up (around 5) the lines get thicker and the dots turn into slits ... the focus remains good.

any ideas???

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
When looking at the projector from the front (if the projector is upright)there should be two red caps on the bottom two hex bolts on the green and one red cap on the bottom right of both the red and blue. Make a one inch spacer that you can insert between the aluminum lens mount and the aluminum tube mount in the area of the springs behind the red caps. The green is most important to get exact. Once you've got exactly one inch gaps behind all four red caps, never touch them again. Only adjust the bolts that don't have caps. I would do a hard reset and start over. Press the help button on the remote and follow the detailed setup guide. It walks you through the intire setup including electronic focus as well as mechanical focus prior to convergence. If at that time your green focus is not even on the left and right outer sides then I would suspect that the projector is not centered correctly on the screen. If you follow the help guide you should be able to get a decent picture. I think that most people here would go with a hard reset on any new ECP installation. One word of note, be very carefull when adjusting those hex bolts. If your not paying attention, you could bottom out the lens to the tube and crack the glass on the tubes front. When your ready for convergence use the interpolated option (#3).

Chip S.

·
Registered
594 Posts
The convergence problem is likely due to the bad Dallas chip. The Blue focus problem could be a few things. First, make a 1" spacer and use it to get all four screws adjusted so that the plate is exactly 1" from the CRT. Now, looking into the lense do the Stig and Flare adjustments and then the scheimpflug adjustment. If you still can't get a reasonable focus then it's possible you have fungus on the blue crt face. This tends to show up as a halo around all the lines. The only way to see if this is a problem or not is to remove the lense and then use a syringe to remove the coolant from the CRT. Once it is drained you'll be able to see whether there is a deposit on the CRT face.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.