AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, after about 6 months of flawless usage, my Showstopper 1000 has crapped out. :( I went to bed a couple nights ago and it was working fine. When I woke up, it was powering itself on and off repeatedly and giving the "Please Wait a Few Moments" message, followed by the ReplayTV splash screen. Then it would turn off (power off, but the HD does not spin down) and repeat this. It will not do anything else.

The unit was bought new (and was replaced due to a bad modem initially) and is unhacked. It has great ventilation and does not get unusually hot. Since I have not hacked the unit, I have not opened it up to back up the drive. :( Panasonic's labor warranty ran out after 90 days and others have said they charge $150 to fix this problem.

I have tried soft/hard reboots, unplugging it for a day, etc. Nothing is working. A search on this board leads me to believe that the operating system crashed. I think what I need is possibly a CD with an image of the first partition of the hard drive on it.

If someone can mail or otherwise send this to me, I would be extremely grateful. I live in Herndon, VA (email me at [email protected] if you can help me, I will gladly pay for postage if necessary). Also, if anyone else who has seen this problem can tell me the best way to fix it, I would really appreciate it. I like to tinker with my PC so I feel comfortable hooking up hard drives etc. if I need to.

I know if anyone can help me, it's the people on AVSForum... you all were really helpful with suggestions when I first had my modem problem. :) No Replay with all new primetime shows is killing me! :(

Thanks,

- Andy

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
If you have broadband you can have a showstopper image right now.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I'll leave it posted for an hour or so. If anybody else needs a showstopper image go ahead and download. It is 44 megs. ftp://showstopper:[email protected]

drag the replaysetupO.S. file to your desktop and the download will start. takes about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mikeyboy,

Thanks! I downloaded the file. Unfortunately, I am at work and the file is very large. Is there any way you could post it again sometime tonight so I can get it at home?

Thanks again,

- Andy

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
No problem. What time Eastern would you like it posted?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anytime after 7 pm would be great. My connection gets faster after 9 or so, but anytime is fine. I was afraid I was going to have to bust out 40 floppies (no ZIP or burner here at work). :D

I really appreciate this, I hope I can manage to fix my Replay!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again, d/ling now.

My next problem is figuring out what exactly I need to do to use this file to fix my drive... I need to use the RTVPatch program, correct?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I bought a Showstopper PV-HS2000 tonight and added a Western Digital 100 gig drive using the Win2k RTVPatch.exe

As soon as I hooked everything up and plugged in the power, I got the same "Please Wait a Few Moments" rebooting loop.

The very first thing I tried was replacing the new ATA100 cable that I used with an old ATA33 IDE cable. Everything came up fine after that. I put the ATA100 cable back in just to confirm, same problem.

Hope that helps.

Roddie

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by roddie
The very first thing I tried was replacing the new ATA100 cable that I used with an old ATA33 IDE cable.
roddie, Are you referring to using the ATA100 ribbon on your computer for the image transfer? Were you using Master/Slave jumpers or Cable select? Did the RTVPatch operation go smoothly with the drive showing up as patched when you were done and it still wouldn't boot?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Mikeyboy,

Quote:
roddie, Are you referring to using the ATA100 ribbon on your computer for the image transfer?
I'm referring to the ATA100 IDE cable that came with the new hard drive that I bought.
Quote:
Were you using Master/Slave jumpers or Cable select?
I was using the standard Master/Slave jumpers. I pulled the rig out of my computer after prep and put it directly into the unit.

For grins, when I put the ATA100 cable back in, I switched positions, same result.
Quote:
Did the RTVPatch operation go smoothly with the drive showing up as patched when you were done and it still wouldn't boot?
The whole procedure went perfectly (I was pleasantly surprised!) until it came time to power up the Showstopper. The only difference was the ATA100 cable vs. the ATA33 cable. I even tried two different ATA100 cables, neither worked (loop), I tried two different ATA33 cables, and everything worked fine.

I won't bother to try to explain the technicals behind it, because that's not my area at all, except to say this; By design, those ATA100 cables are so that your ATA66 or ATA100 hard drives will run at those settings. My thinking is that the ReplayTV can't do ATA66 (the factory cable is ATA33), and when you put two ATA66 drives on the chain with an ATA100 cable, it either missreads it gets confused somehow, or the drives confuse it somehow. I know there are 40 extra wires in those cables, but I had thought that they were just to limit interference.

Anyone can feel free to pick that last paragraph apart, it's totally just a wild guess.

Roddie

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by roddie
...The very first thing I tried was replacing the new ATA100 cable that I used with an old ATA33 IDE cable. Everything came up fine after that. I put the ATA100 cable back in just to confirm, same problem.
roddie did you plug the 80 wire ATA100 cable in with the blue end down to the Replay MOBO header? I use these in the Replays and think they are more stable but those WD do funny things... different rules on the jumpers(?) I can't get any WD to work with my external firewire housing which needs a standard Master setting. The Replay is ATA33 (or less?) but having the extra grounding should be better. Don't touch yours if it's working, but I just wondered how you had it connected that didn't work...

·
Registered
475 Posts
Quote:
roddie did you plug the 80 wire ATA100 cable in with the blue end down to the Replay MOBO header?
That's a very good point - Looking at the cable now, I think I actually had the blue end on the WD drive because of length issues. It's all back together now, so I probably won't mess with it just yet. I'm not really that paranoid when it comes to the risk of interference and all that, so I'll only change the cable if I have some problems.

Oh well, so much for that theory. ;)

It was definitely a cable issue that caused the loop though!! :D

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
The ATA 100 cable is position sensitive, unlike the 40 wire ribbons. The Blue connector has to go on the motherboard. The connector at the other end (I thinks that it's black) has to go to the "master" jumpered drive (or standalone), the middle connector has to go to the "slave" jumpered drive, or left floating.

The 40 extra wires are just ground wires to minimize crosstalk between adjacent signal wires. They don't play any role in data transfer.

Keeping the above in mind, there should be no problem using the ATA100 cable in the Replays. Also, since the Replay controller is only 33, the drives will revert back to 33 operation (always defaults to the lowest common denominator.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.