AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After extensive research, today I called up Acoustic Sound Design to purchase an Energy Take Classic 5.1 speaker system. The guy on the phone told me that due to some manufacturer shipment error, he wouldn't be able to give me the sub that normally comes in the bundle - instead, he'd include an "upgrade", the Acoustech H-100. To be fair, their website makes this upgrade situation clear, so this isn't (necessarily) a bait and switch. However, I found Acoustic Sound Design through Amazon, so I didn't know about this subwoofer situation until the salesman told me.


I still went ahead with the purchase after some discussion, but now I'm having buyer's remorse. Am I getting a good deal with this "upgrade", or should I find a merchant who can sell me the speaker system with Energy's subwoofer? Which is a better sub? (I'd link you to specs, but that may be against forum rules.)


Please help me! I have a day to cancel!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
I am looking at the same deal, and almost pulled the trigger. Anyone know if this is a scam? I haven't heard anything about this sub, and i wonder how they could sell a 12" sun in place of a 8" sub that normally comes with it. Is it a legit deal? Is it really an upgrade?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
I would say the BIC-H100 is a fairly good upgrade to the 8" sub offered in the Energy Take Classic package. It will definitely go lower and have alot more output. Keep in mind that it's probably over twice as heavy and much larger...but it will also outperform the Energy sub by a good margin. I'd say definitely go for it....it's a great deal to be offered this sub instead of the Energy sub.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
I think you're getting a good deal. Considering that the Energy Take Classic 5.1 is a fairly inexpensive package. The original ESW-8 subwoofer that's suppose to include in the package is only $99 online. It's not bad for a small bedroom, but I doubt it can compete in terms of output and extension versus the H-100, which can be found online for ~$230.


How much did you paid for the system? The Energy Classic 5.0 is on sale for $199 at AudioAdvisor. If the H-100 is around $250 shipped and you paid over $450 for the system, you may have been better off purchasing them separately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help, guys!


The Energy Classic 5.0 + Acoustic H100 package is $400. If the Energy Classic 5.0 can be found for $200, then that means I'm essentially getting the H100 for $200. (I see the ESW-V8 priced for more than that at Amazon).


If I can get the ESW-V8 for $100 online like skool said, I might just do that. Then I'll get the original package for just $300! Can you PM me with a link, skool?


If that doesn't work out, then can another, better sub be found for $200 shipped? We have a medium-sized (can't say measurements, not moved in yet) living room with hardwood floors, and this sub will help us enjoy music, Rock Band 2, and some movies and TV. Neither my fiancee or I are audiophiles, we're just looking for some extra oomph!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
You can buy the Energy Take Classic 5.0 speaker system right now for $199. This means for $400 you aren't getting any special deal with the BIC-H100....and if they sold you the original ESW8 sub for $400 then you're getting burned.


Do yourself a favor. Go HERE and buy either the Take Classic 5.0 system for $199 or even better...the Energy C-50 5.0 system for $249 (better speakers). After that, order the BIC-F12 sub HERE and you'll have as good a system as it gets for that price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulchie /forum/post/16934984


what about Velodyne impact 10 v H100?

I am in the same situation! Same merchant. Same questions.

I don't think you would have a very large differential between those two subs. For home theater both will give you good bang for your buck but for music they will not fair so well. If you're coming from having no sub or some garbage from a HTIB then both of these will be a very big upgrade.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Thanks, 99. I had already ordered the package with the H100 and was considering returning it, but I guess I'll hold where I am. This whole HT thing is a big move up from, um, just the tv speakers! So I guess I'm likely to be impressed.

cheers,

mulchie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulchie /forum/post/16935113


Thanks, 99. I had already ordered the package with the H100 and was considering returning it, but I guess I'll hold where I am. This whole HT thing is a big move up from, um, just the tv speakers! So I guess I'm likely to be impressed.

cheers,

mulchie

You'll be very impressed. It's a whole new world coming from nothing to even the decent entry level subs like the BIC-H100. You'll probably be grinning from ear to ear
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielson99 /forum/post/16934572


You can buy the Energy Take Classic 5.0 speaker system right now for $199. This means for $400 you aren't getting any special deal with the BIC-H100....and if they sold you the original ESW8 sub for $400 then you're getting burned.


Do yourself a favor. Go HERE and buy either the Take Classic 5.0 system for $199 or even better...the Energy C-50 5.0 system for $249 (better speakers). After that, order the BIC-F12 sub HERE and you'll have as good a system as it gets for that price.

Thanks so much for your advice!! I'm seeing the BIC H-100 for minimum $250, so $400 for the Energy Classic + the sub seems like $50 less than what I'd expect. $50 off is a little over 10% - not a lot, but hey, who doesn't like $50?


Yet I'm still in a bind. Please read on, eveyone.



The F-12 is tempting very similar specs for only $150 + shipping, plus it's a bit smaller than the H100 (and someone here vouches that it sounds better). I called to cancel my order and order the F-12 sub instead, but AcousticSoundDesign told me that it my order had already been shipped (a call to UPS confirmed this) and there would be a 15% restocking fee if I'd back out.


The speakers and the sub would ship in seperate boxes, however, so I could theoretically refuse just the sub, right? 15% of a $200 sub = $30 fee, but I would save money with the F-12. After shipping, the F-12 would cost me $185.


To recap:


Energy Classic 5.0 ($200) + H100 ($200) = $400

Energy Classic 5.0 ($200) + F-12 ($185) + fee ($30) = $415


So all in all, it'd cost me only $15 to upgrade to the F12! And $15 is pittance.



Which brings us to the big question:

Which sounds better - the H100 or the F-12?


Specs for each:

Acoustech H100

Formula F-12



THANK YOU THANK YOU!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
You would be equally happy with either subwoofers performance. Get the one that looks better to your eyes. Personally, I'd just stick with the H-100 since it's already on it's way. You'll get everything set up on the same day....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBlueSky85 /forum/post/16933617


Thanks for the help, guys!


The Energy Classic 5.0 + Acoustic H100 package is $400. If the Energy Classic 5.0 can be found for $200, then that means I'm essentially getting the H100 for $200. (I see the ESW-V8 priced for more than that at Amazon).


If I can get the ESW-V8 for $100 online like skool said, I might just do that. Then I'll get the original package for just $300! Can you PM me with a link, skool?


If that doesn't work out, then can another, better sub be found for $200 shipped? We have a medium-sized (can't say measurements, not moved in yet) living room with hardwood floors, and this sub will help us enjoy music, Rock Band 2, and some movies and TV. Neither my fiancee or I are audiophiles, we're just looking for some extra oomph!

If you look at the Energy website, the original subwoofer that comes with the Energy Take Classic 5.1 is the ESW-8, not the ESW-V8. They're are two completely different subwoofer. That's why you're seeing it for $300 on Amazon.


WWStereo and AudioAdvisor did have the ESW-8 on sale for $100, but it's sold out right now. Here's a link . You may want to call WWStereo to see if they have some in stock.


I would stick with the H-100. I doubt you can find one for $200 online currently if buy separately. It's a great sub for movies under $250.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBlueSky85 /forum/post/16936772

Which sounds better - the H100 or the F-12?

they are basically the exact same sub, the F12 doesn't have the glossy black top and a slightly different driver/amp combo. The H-100 is definitely better looking with that gloss back top. No reason at all to switch to the F12.


Out of curiosity, where did you see that the F12 was better?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/16943400


they are basically the exact same sub, the F12 doesn't have the glossy black top and a slightly different driver/amp combo. The H-100 is definitely better looking with that gloss back top. No reason at all to switch to the F12.


Out of curiosity, where did you see that the F12 was better?

It is better in one sense....you can find it for just over $150. Try and find a BIC-H100 for that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielson99 /forum/post/16936850


You would be equally happy with either subwoofers performance. Get the one that looks better to your eyes. Personally, I'd just stick with the H-100 since it's already on it's way. You'll get everything set up on the same day....

That's the plan! It'll be arriving at my parents' house any day now (I'm moving, so I wasn't sure which address to put). I think the H-100 looks better, both as a single unit and as an addition to the Energy Classic 5.0 set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skool /forum/post/16938989


If you look at the Energy website, the original subwoofer that comes with the Energy Take Classic 5.1 is the ESW-8, not the ESW-V8. They're are two completely different subwoofer. That's why you're seeing it for $300 on Amazon.


WWStereo and AudioAdvisor did have the ESW-8 on sale for $100, but it's sold out right now. Here's a link . You may want to call WWStereo to see if they have some in stock.


I would stick with the H-100. I doubt you can find one for $200 online currently if buy separately. It's a great sub for movies under $250.

Thanks for the info and the affirmation that I made a good buy! I still feel like a n00b about all this audio stuff, so it's great to hear your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/16943400


they are basically the exact same sub, the F12 doesn't have the glossy black top and a slightly different driver/amp combo. The H-100 is definitely better looking with that gloss back top. No reason at all to switch to the F12.


Out of curiosity, where did you see that the F12 was better?

It's hard to see the appearance differences online in the polished product photos. Actually, I found the best product pics by searching the avsforum archives. How handy!


Thanks for the info.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top