Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I have been reading the DLP, LCD forum for a couple of months now. Landed on this site during one of my aimless browsing sessions, and since then my desire for a FP system has been growing by the day (actually night, when there is no ambient light in my apartment's living room :) )

Thank you all for the loads of useful information on FP systems. All I know about it, I learned from this forum.

I think I don't want to wait any longer, and want to setup an FP now. I would greatly appreciate if people could give me some suggestions. I have looked through the previous posts and have gathered some information.

Here is the setting in which the FP will be used:

0. Budget: $1700 (this includes the pj, screen and cables)

1. Apartment living room. 14 x 14 x 9

2. No ambient light control. Has a big sliding door to the balcony. Covered with vertical blinds. I can put a blackout curtain to cover it.

3. Will use it to watch DVDs and regular tv as well.

4. Most of the use will be during evening/night time.

Options that I am considering

1. I have a 27" RCA direct view tv, that I am using currently. The anamorphic DVD images are no fun to watch as half of the screen is covered by black bars. So I want to upgrade my display.

2. Buy a Wega direct view 32" or something similar. But that would mean approx $1000. Again the size is not as great as with FP. And it is not 16:9

3. Buy Sony VPL-w400q. Auditioned this at someone's house yesterday and I was blown away. This was my first exposure to an FP system.

I watched parts of Toy Story (amazing, native 16:9), Bug's life(good, 4:3 zoomed to fill 16:9 screen), vhs cassette of Star Wars 1 using a composite connection (bad, 4:3. Maybe it was that particular cassette)

Questions:

1. Is it realistic to expect that I will be able to use FP for my daily TV watching (mostly friends, frasier and like). Taking into consideration that the lamps are quite expensive and have low life. e.g. Sony w400q lamp lasts 1000 hours and is $350. Also pre night time watching needs light control.

2. Any suggestions other than Sony w400q. I like it because I don't need an HTPC, or special lens etc. So my initial expense is within my budget ($1700).

3. Is $1500 a good price for a 2 year old w400q. Has 950 hours on it.

Thank you all for reading this long post and your suggestions.

----------

[This message has been edited by Maybe (edited 08-20-2001).]

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
For ~$300 more, you could get yourself a used NEC LT150 (ebay). This unit is better than the Sony and the bulb will probably be newer. Be sure to actually see the LT150 before you buy it, since it's a DLP unit and you might be disappointed if you're sensitive to some of it's flaws.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
w/ the cost of bulbs and the desire to keep the WOW/Novelty factor as fresh as possible, i would suggest buying a cheap 19-27" tv and using the projector strictly for special things, movies, imax, concerts etc.

i shopped for my RP with the intention of using it for everday, casual viewing also ( for $3k with tax, i'd better get as much use out of it as possible!) but within a month i found my viewing habits changing dramaticaly.

taking that into account and happening across the killer price on the 150, i've got a set-up now that perfectly fits what and how i will view.

between the good deal on the pj and a decent DIY screen and another good deal on theater seats(also found on this forum), i've put together a REAL home theater for several hundred $'s less than my rp cost alone.

budget fp ht'ing can be done!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the responses and suggestions.

After reading so much about lt150 I would want to go that way, the only problem there is that I have to invest in an HTPC or an external scaler.

While with w400q i don't think I'll need that.

Is there an alternative in which I don't have to make extra investment right away, but have the option of upgrading to an HTPC/scaler later.

Thanks

Thanks

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had the Sony 520J which was the FIRST 16:9 projector on the market.

I loved it, because you get a really beautiful and detailed picture from DVDs.

Now, the main issue was the Light output, which means it needed a very Dark room to show its potential. I've heard that the w400q is brighter, but I stepped over it and got a used Sony 10HT. This IS heaven !

The matrix is so much more detailed tahn other projectors, and Light output is not an issue anymore !!!

Since the 11HT came out there are some great deals on 10 HT. Ma call is GO FOR IT !

You will not be disappointed with the result, except if you invest much more money.

Remember this is true if you value movies more than regular TV. ALso if you enjoy games, the PS2 allows for 16:9 games. Great great fun (GT3 on Wide screen is amazing !!!)

Hope it helps too,

Cedric

·
Registered
229 Posts
Maybe,

While I won't dispute everyone else's opinion that you need an HTPC or scaler for max LT150 perfection, I wouldn't be so quick to assume you necessarily need one for *you* to be happy.

I have just finished an extensive amount of tests and viewing using a Malata 996 progressive-scan DVD player direct into the LT150 at about 8 feet wide, onto drywall, sitting about 14 feet back - I was BLOWN AWAY by how good this looked. All my previous DVD viewing was on a well-calibrated 31" interlaced TV. Plus, according to the DVD shootout, my player has some of the worst de-interlacing performance! And yet, I thought the picture was really great, both for 4x3, non-anamorphic widescreen, and, of course, especially on anamorphic discs.

If you have a progressive player (or can get one cheaper than an HTPC, which you can), you should try to take a look and see if you are happy with that. I'm guessing that if you were impressed by the 400q, you would be even more impressed by an LT150 fed directly by progressive DVD player.

------------------

Scott Barnhart
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
While a HTPC or scaler brings out the best of the LT150 - I'm sure that if you hook it up to a decent source it should still blow away that sony. After a while when you're in the upgrading mood again you'll probably end with a progressive player or HTPC anyway http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif . That is - provided you can get hold of the LT150 within your budget.

------------------

/frode

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.