AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After researching & reviewing many projectors, as a 1st time buyer I narrowed it down to the Epson 8700UB. I finally received the proposal from my installer who is now recommending the 9350 (they are both priced the same 2k). The use will be in a multi purpose room in the basement with controlled lighting on a 106" fixed screen (tbd).

Primary viewing will be movies and sports, some gaming. The only difference in specs I see is 9350 has better Lumens (2,000 vs. 1600 ANSI) but 8700ub has better Contrast (200,000 vs. 50,000) ~ Any thoughts on comparing these 2 projectors ?

·
Banned
1,709 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsony /forum/post/19634641

After researching & reviewing many projectors, as a 1st time buyer I narrowed it down to the Epson 8700UB. I finally received the proposal from my installer who is now recommending the 9350 (they are both priced the same 2k). The use will be in a multi purpose room in the basement with controlled lighting on a 106" fixed screen (tbd).

Primary viewing will be movies and sports, some gaming. The only difference in specs I see is 9350 has better Contrast (2,000 vs. 1600 ANSI) but 8700ub has better Contrast (200,000 vs. 50,000) ~ Any thoughts on comparing these 2 projectors ?

The Epson 9350 is the Pro Cinema Series Line

which comes with the following

Flush/extended Ceiling Mount, Cable COver, Extra Bulb, and Extended warrenty

Only is to be sold by a Pro Cinema Dealer ......

The Epson 8700 is the Home Cinema Series

Yes it has the features of higher contrast as you stated.

My question to you is what screen are you using ....?

Your Screen is more of an important piece of your Home THeater Puzzle than your Projector...

If you are using a cheap screen then go with the pro cinema cause it has higher lumens

if you are getting a better type screen then go with the 8700....

When i mean cheap screen i am not talking about price i am talking about Quality....

Miss Man on this site uses a special paint solution (Not CHeap *ass Goo)

and has very good quality...

or you go with a SI or Stewart screen.....

again figure out what type of screen you are using and i can tell you what projector is better...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the replies ~ I do understand their is a balance between matching PJ and screen - lotsa factors involved like light, price etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraisa /forum/post/19634690

The Epson 9350 is the Pro Cinema Series Line

which comes with the following

Flush/extended Ceiling Mount, Cable COver, Extra Bulb, and Extended warrenty

Only is to be sold by a Pro Cinema Dealer ......

The Epson 8700 is the Home Cinema Series Yes it has the features of higher contrast as you stated.

Outside of the extras - If using the same screen will 1 projector perform better than the other ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraisa /forum/post/19634690

My question to you is what screen are you using ....?

My installer is suggesting Vutec Brightwhite fixed mount @ $1k or SI Black Diamond 106" fixed mt @ $3k. I dont want to spend more than $1.5k as I have little kids right now and see writing on the wall ! Any other combinations or suggestions please ?

·
Banned
1,709 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsony /forum/post/19668583

Has anyone used the 8700 or 9350 with a Vutec screen ???

If i had to decide on a Vutec Screen like you have mentioned or a DA-LITE or AccuScreen i would save the difference and buy Taupe Flat Paint and make a screen...

Cause those screens are not worth there money....

·
Registered
197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraisa /forum/post/19668660

If i had to decide on a Vutec Screen like you have mentioned or a DA-LITE or AccuScreen i would save the difference and buy Taupe Flat Paint and make a screen...

Cause those screens are not worth there money....

Hi, what 80" x 45" screen are recommended for a ceiling mounted 8700 unit in a light-colored living room? thanks in advance.

Jose

·
Registered
3,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsony /forum/post/19639595

Thanks for the replies ~ I do understand their is a balance between matching PJ and screen - lotsa factors involved like light, price etc...

Outside of the extras - If using the same screen will 1 projector perform better than the other ?

Yes, the 8700 is substantially better... if you have a dark room. I believe it has FI as well where the x350 does not. Don't look at contrast numbers though, most manufacturers pull them out of their behinds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm now also in the same dilemma. I've just bought a new house that comes with a home theatre projection room. I convinced the previous owner to leave me the screen, but I'll have to get a new projector.

For the money, I'm looking at getting the Epson 8700UB, but after talking to the dealer, he swears by the 9350. Problem is, from what I've read, the 8700UB is definitely the superior projector and no one's reviewed the damned 9350 yet, but many consider it just a glorified 8350 with a few extras. The Epson Canada representative however swears he's seen all three projectors side by side and couldn't tell the difference.

So here are my choices for about the same money:

The Epson 8700UB with a $100 mail-in rebate and a free mail-in bulb, but no ceiling mount and only a 2 year warranty. The UB (Ultra Black) would seem to indicate superior black levels. OR

The Epson 9350 with a free bulb, ceiling mount AND 3 year warranty in box. But does the price difference justify the in-box goodies and added specs over the 8350, and is the picture quality really on par with the 8700UB?

Call it an "I need to know"! All comments would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and the 9350 comes in BLACK!

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
The 8350 and 9350 are the same projector bundled differently. The 8700 and 9700 are the same projector bundled differently. The 8700 would be better than the 9350.

The bundles the 9350 and 9700 include are:

Spare Bulb $299.99 (Epson MSRP)

Ceiling Mount $260 (Epson MSRP)

Extra Year Warranty $299(Epson MSRP) 3 yr for 9350/9700 vs 2 yr for 8350/8700

Cable cover for hide wiring when ceiling mounted $49.99 (Epson MSRP)

Black casing instead of white.

If you are DIY type of person you can get a less expensive aftermarket mount, bulb and warranty for less and go with the 8700. I'm not sure if you can get the cable cover in white. Color of projector depends on the ceiling really. Black looks better on dark ceilings, white looks better on white or light ceilings.

hope this helps

Bob

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
jtsony,

Since you've kids, why not a Da-lite Model B or Model C pull down screen for now and save some case? Jason of AVS sells them. Not sure which Da-lite would be best for your Epson.

·
Banned
1,709 Posts
Go the extra and get a 9700 you wont regret it,

the extra yr warranty will pay for it self.

just think in that 3rd yr is a problem comes up,

you get a replacement unit...

9700 is way better than the 9350 no comparison..

·
Registered
49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraisa /forum/post/19739216

Go the extra and get a 9700 you wont regret it,

the extra yr warranty will pay for it self.

just think in that 3rd yr is a problem comes up,

you get a replacement unit...

9700 is way better than the 9350 no comparison..

Thanks, I assume you were answering my post that got deleted for some reason. Am I not supposed to mention a screen brand name?

·
Banned
1,709 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refired /forum/post/19742843

Thanks, I assume you were answering my post that got deleted for some reason. Am I not supposed to mention a screen brand name?

No problem ,

FYI got some new Screenies over at the 9700 thread coming...

and its a DX INvASION....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts