AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a tight budget of $500-$800, what is the best HT amp I can purchase? I'm new in Home Theater stuff and I'm trying to build my first HT with a very limited budget. I've been a Sony fan all my life but after doing a lot of reading in this great forum, I've pretty much decided that I can buy a better featured amp with the same price. I am so lost here so I would really appreciate any comments.

My next purchase will be speakers and I'm planning to purchase B&W 601 s2 (front), CC6 s2 (center), LM1? (surround) and Definitive Technology ProSub 100. Speaker purchasing is another headache so I will be posting another thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=87530

I will be using this system 50% DVD and 50% music and it will be in my living room (21' x 18'). I have a Sony 36" XBR and a Sony DVP-7000 DVD player.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Welcome to the (expensive and money-sucking) hobby of Home Theater :).

If you can go used, just browse around audiogon; sometimes they have good values there. Caveat emptor.

Do you own a receiver? If you do you can try getting a good stereo amp for now, and use the receiver amplification for the center and rears.

Adcom amps are generally regarded as OK - it's a good brand, relatively cheap, doesn't complain much. It's not the best there is. Rotel would be another candidate in your price range. Go to audioreview just for reading purposes - put a bit of salt please.

Good luck.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Cheetos, you'll be surprised at how much an amp matters. I'd had receivers before, but went the preamp/amp route this time.

Audition as many amps in your price range as possible. Try to hear them with the preamp or receiver you'll be using. If you buy wisely, you can re-use the amp later for surrounds when you upgrade. And, trust me, you will upgrade.

Leslie

·
Registered
10 Posts
I really like the Acurus 200x3 or 200x5 amps. You can get them pretty good deal on Ebay or ubid.com. Really sound great and built to last. 200x3 new can be for around $650, 200x5 can be around $1000 new --- have to look though.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Look at the Marantz MM9000 (150x5) and the B&K AV5125 (125x5).

I found an "open box buy" on the B&K AV5000II (same as 5125) for $700. I'm very pleased. It was a big upgrade from my Yamaha receiver's amp.

Note that wattage is only one attribute of an amp, and that while one amp may be 150x5, it doesn't mean it has the same headroom or quality of say, a 85x5 amp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.