AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on purchasing a G150HT D'ILA (G-15).

Tell me, In my room configuration I am going to have a 2.35 aspect, 10 ft. wide screen. I plan on using curtains as horizontal masking to change the aspect ratio of the screen.

I am considering a Rock + but wonder if I need all the flexibilty.

If my sources are the standard DVD, LD, Satellite, DV, etc., given the D'ILA projector, why would I want to:

1)vary output rates (really curious about this)

2) aspect ratios via the PJ

3) picture controls (i assume the PJ includes these)

as opposed to buying a fixed output Faroudja NR?

Thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
27,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Hi,

Your questions, which applies to any scaler:
  1. You don't want to vary output rates, but the DILA performs best with a scaler that does pixel-perfect 1365x1024. More flexible scalers makes it more likely you'll be able to set the exact output rate that you need. Resolution you need: A built-in 2.35:1 resolution (1365x580) at proper DILA timings, which is what you need for for 2.35:1 screens without anamorphic lens. For anamorphic lens use, you can use the 1365x768 resolution at DILA timings with an anamorphic lens that has a stretch factor of 1.33 to fill your whole 2.35:1 screen. For DVD's like Ben Hur with 2.76:1 they will simply have letterboxes.
  2. For constant-height varying-width, aspect ratio control is a critical feature you need. You need to tell the scaler what aspect ratio the DVD is in so that the scaler can properly add black padding on the left and right. For example, if the DVD is playing back in 2.20:1 then you want to be able to easily press a couple of buttons and presto, you've got 2.20:1 centered in the middle of your 2.35:1 screen. Very few scalers let you do this.
  3. Picture controls are a bonus if you want to be able to calibrate even further, or experiment with your projector without messing up the projector settings. If you plan on getting an ISF calibration, for best results, the ISF calibration staff should be aware of the settings on both the scaler and the display device.

As far as I know, ROCK+ is one of the very few scalers that does all of what you need -- the special scanrates you need AND the user-friendly "constant-height varying-width" ....both of which is what you need for a good and easy 2.35:1 screen setup.

Faroudja: As far as I know, Faroudja does not offer these two essential features you need at this time. But you could ask Faroudja if they do now, to doublecheck if you want.

For ROCK+: You can ask more questions about the ROCK+ via TAWFORUM or look at the online ROCK+ manual. The forum is now open for posting by the public.

Ask Others Here: You can also talk to Vern Dias, he is an AVSFORUM member who owns a ROCK+ and has a 2.35:1 screen setup, albiet with a CRT projector. There may also be other scalers that have both of the required features that you need.

·
Registered
27,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All questions answered with aplomb!

Thanks, Mark.

Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.