AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm having a sound issue when watching my digital cable. I regularally use a moto dcx4300 pvr but it is having some issues, so right now i'm using a 3200 (hd non-pvr) box until they solve that problem. The sound was find when using the pvr but since this box it seems like the voices are glitching. I've checked all the wiring and other things, but I know it's related to the cable box because sound is fine for dvd/gaming on the ps3. What I can do to make the glitching go away is go into the 3200's advanced settings and change the hdmi audio to L-PCM. With this setting the audio sounds much better then it ever did but it's showing i'm only running my mains on the avr display. When it's on pass-through or auto setting it shows i'm using the full 5.1 system. Here is my list of equipment and everything is run hdmi....

Panny 50pz77u

Yamaha rxv 863

Energy cf50 mains

energy cc10 center

energy cr10 surrounds

paradigm dsp 3400 sub

sony ps3 gaming/dvd playback

logitech harmony one w/ps3 adapter

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
Try using optical/coax for sound from the cable box. You won't get True HD format from it anyway and that may cure the audio problems.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Yes... Run HDMi to display and a legacy digital audio connection to the sound system. This would be the most common work around for HDMI audio issues in general.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
any thoughts as to why it's doing this in the first place? it was working fine till I switched the cable boxes, and sounds great when set to l-pcm minus that it's only running 2 channel.

Well apon further investigation it apparently is running 5.1 just showing only the l/r speakers on the avr's display. I can hear sound coming from all speakers. so confusing......

now if I could figure out how to keep the settings in place.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucl3arboNg /forum/post/18227909

any thoughts as to why it's doing this in the first place? it was working fine till I switched the cable boxes, and sounds great when set to l-pcm minus that it's only running 2 channel.

Well apon further investigation it apparently is running 5.1 just showing only the l/r speakers on the avr's display. I can hear sound coming from all speakers. so confusing......

now if I could figure out how to keep the settings in place.

The usual suspect on cable or satellite boxes is the HDMI connection for audio. And its true that the fix is either optical or coax will cure the audio problems. This happens often on same model boxes from the same maker. Its really no problem other than the extra cable as all you will ever get from them DD5.1 anyway.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what if I ran the hdmi from cable box to the avr to say the dvr input, and then ran the optical sound to the same input on the avr. would that use the hdmi or optic for sound?

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucl3arboNg /forum/post/18228001

what if I ran the hdmi from cable box to the avr to say the dvr input, and then ran the optical sound to the same input on the avr. would that use the hdmi or optic for sound?

Optic if thats what outputted in the AVR. There's no need to do this though. The simplest solution is optic out from box to optic in on AVr and change the audio output to optic in the AVR's menu.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well I changed it to use optic on the avr and am still having the sound glitching when on any output option other then L-pcm. like I said before though it sounds 100x's better on this setting just shows that i'm only running the mains on the avr.

I really appreciate your help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts