AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a Samsung S5053 Plasma and a Mitsubishi LT-46131. I use the Samsung for the living room and movies and sports because to me plasma blows lcd away by miles and there's no comparison. I'm happy with both and the Mitsubishi is possibly the best lcd I've seen to date with no issues like sony's garbage "happy clouds" etc.

My issue is this, I don't watch tv at all just sports and mainly baseball but I do like discovery and espn. I cancelled my cable since I wasn't watching it for a few months and went basic. My Mitsubishi lcd gets over the air HD local channels (cbs, fox etc) but the Samsung plasma doesn't. Since the plasma is in the living room, I'd like to get the HD local channels on that.

Can someone explain to me why that is or what I would need to get over the air HD local channels like the Mitsubishi does? I tried looking in the manual but I'm so ignorant on the subject of built in scramblers or even which one is which that I wouldn't know what to look for. I really want to get the HD channels on the Samsung without a cable box or HD service like I can on the Mitsubishi, any info or advice on this?

thank you.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply. I plugged in the cable wire (basic) and I did set it to over the air but I still can't get anything. Do I have to get an additional antenna on top of the cable wire? The tv has ant1 and ant2 hookups so I have to connect the cable to ant1 or 2 and then the ant to ant 1 or 2?

What kind of antenna do I need? Never bought an antenna before.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Malmsteen /forum/post/15427320

What kind of antenna do I need? Never bought an antenna before.

Check on Winegard SS-3000. It is an indoor VHF/UHF antenna with a "low noise amplifier" for $47. It got good reviews.

An update: I just got it and it really works. I live 30 miles from the transmitters in Chicago and I got perfect reception of all the digital channels, including HD, except Channel 2.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramazur /forum/post/15427623

Check on Winegard SS-3000. It is an indoor VHF/UHF antenna with a "low noise amplifier" for $47. It got good reviews.

An update: I just got and it really works. I live 30 miles from the transmitters in Chicago and I got perfect reception of all the digital, including HD, channels except Channel 2.

Right on, thanks man.

Happy New Year to all.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramazur /forum/post/15427623

An update: I just got it and it really works. I live 30 miles from the transmitters in Chicago and I got perfect reception of all the digital channels, including HD, except Channel 2.

I just got mine in today and it's a dud, I got 2 channels both in spanish and the farthest station from me is 16 miles, this is supposed to be good up to 30.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Malmsteen /forum/post/15425198

Hello,

I have a Samsung S5053 Plasma and a Mitsubishi LT-46131. I use the Samsung for the living room and movies and sports because to me plasma blows lcd away by miles and there's no comparison. I'm happy with both and the Mitsubishi is possibly the best lcd I've seen to date with no issues like sony's garbage "happy clouds" etc.

My issue is this, I don't watch tv at all just sports and mainly baseball but I do like discovery and espn. I cancelled my cable since I wasn't watching it for a few months and went basic. My Mitsubishi lcd gets over the air HD local channels (cbs, fox etc) but the Samsung plasma doesn't. Since the plasma is in the living room, I'd like to get the HD local channels on that.

Can someone explain to me why that is or what I would need to get over the air HD local channels like the Mitsubishi does? I tried looking in the manual but I'm so ignorant on the subject of built in scramblers or even which one is which that I wouldn't know what to look for. I really want to get the HD channels on the Samsung without a cable box or HD service like I can on the Mitsubishi, any info or advice on this?

thank you.

Can anyone help me out with my original question? There's 5,000,000 experts here in every thread with a million opinions and answers but no one can answer this?

I need to know why an older 04 crt can get over the air hd channels and my 07 mitsubishi lcd but not my 06 Samsung S5053? The Samsung does have both an NTSC and a ATSC tuner but no channels get thru and they clearly do on the Mitsubishi LCD why the hell is that?

I mailed Samsung and I should have known I'd get a 3 year old with cerebral palsy type of reply. Telling me the obvious and what I already knew, "your S5053 is equipped with an NTSC and ATSC tuner" f'n retards!

·
Registered
129 Posts
are you using the same antenna for all of your televisions or are you using seperate antennas for each? The antenna location may be the only reason for no signal. Try manually setting up the stations. I had a hard time getting my Pioneer to recognize a couple of stations with the auto setup but they work fine now. Another possability would be to try using antenna a and antenna b hook ups if your set has this, maybe one of them is not functioning properly.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessej /forum/post/15481902

are you using the same antenna for all of your televisions or are you using seperate antennas for each? The antenna location may be the only reason for no signal. Try manually setting up the stations. I had a hard time getting my Pioneer to recognize a couple of stations with the auto setup but they work fine now. Another possability would be to try using antenna a and antenna b hook ups if your set has this, maybe one of them is not functioning properly.

Well I'm using the cable (basic) for antenna and yes, I've tried both antennas on the samsung. The only thing I could think of is something about Qam tuner. My Mitsubishi has this but my Samsung does not. Maybe that's it?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Malmsteen /forum/post/15489851

Well I'm using the cable (basic) for antenna and yes, I've tried both antennas on the samsung. The only thing I could think of is something about Qam tuner. My Mitsubishi has this but my Samsung does not. Maybe that's it?

Are you sure the Sammy doesn't have a QAM tuner? Even lower end off brands have been including that in most (but not all) sets.....Samsung even has a standalone box unit with ATSC/QAM.

·
Premium Member
18,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Malmsteen /forum/post/15489851

I plugged in the cable wire (basic) and I did set it to over the air but I still can't get anything. Do I have to get an additional antenna on top of the cable wire? The tv has ant1 and ant2 hookups so I have to connect the cable to ant1 or 2 and then the ant to ant 1 or 2? What kind of antenna do I need? Never bought an antenna before......... I'm using the cable (basic) for antenna and yes, I've tried both antennas on the samsung. The only thing I could think of is something about Qam tuner.

If your Samsung has a QAM cable tuner, it will be combined with the NTSC tuner which is the one you have to use for basic cable service coming from the wall. The ATSC tuner is strictly an Over The Air tuner and must be connected to an indoor or outdoor antenna. Your descpiptions are a little confusing but it sounds like you're connecting the TV's ATSC RF connector to your basic cable from the wall and trying to scan Antenna channels and if so, then this is why you're having a problem.

Quote:
I need to know why an older 04 crt can get over the air hd channels and my 07 mitsubishi lcd but not my 06 Samsung S5053? The Samsung does have both an NTSC and a ATSC tuner but no channels get thru and they clearly do on the Mitsubishi LCD why the hell is that?

If your older CRT and newer LCD TV are connected to an OTA antenna and getting the HD channels ok, then your Samsung should be able to do the same thing. Why can't you connect the Samsung to the same OTA antenna that the CRT and LCD are connected to??

It's possible that your Samsung's NTSC/ATSC tuner system cannot simultaneously be used to tune both basic cable and antenna channels despite having two separate RF inputs, but if you connect the antenna to the right input, and scan for antenna channels, it should be able to pull in the OTA channels since you're only 16 miles from the towers even with a marginal indoor antenna.

Here's another similar thread that might help:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...259&highlight=

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.