AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FWIW, I have to "build-in" my center channel and I only have 3" in height. It's a long story but it's part of a fireplace/TV and the allocated space 3" h X 20" l. At first I was going to use a sound bar but at the last minute I chickened out. Maybe I dug myself into a hole.

The Energy Micro center channel comes close, but at 3.5" it doesn't quite cut it. I need to find a 3" high center speaker that matches acoustically with something like the JAMO, M Logan's or Energy units.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
^^ what he said ^^

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NOW you tell me!

I'm a bit hard of hearing so I find that a good center helps alot with dialog. I have a MK THX system in another room that works well, but much too large for the current application.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Yeah, you "could" do a soundbar as a center speaker(lots of those around 3 inches tall)

It would require you to have a receiver that has pre-outs...and the soundbar itself to have an analog input(basically Y-split the center pre-out)

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
If your choice is between a 3" tall center and using a phantom center with "normal" sized mains, it seems likely that the phantom center setup could offer better dialog clarity.

I have had a couple of different speaker systems over the years, with and without center speakers. I am generally a fan of having a center speaker. But I recently built some Econowave speakers which have a waveguide (horn) and a compression driver for use outdoors. I have been testing them in my living room, and the dialog intelligibility has never been better. They have a very clean/clear sound. I suspect that is has something to do with the dispersion pattern of the horn NOT sending a lot of sound toward the side walls to bounce off the walls and smear the sound. I'm not certain that my experience with my speakers generalizes to other horn speakers, but it seems like it might. Consider trying some horn speakers (Chase SHO-10, eD[C]inema series, Hsu HB-1, Klipsch, build some econowaves?) for clear dialog in phantom mode. Here's my build thread , though I don't think the aesthetics of my speakers are suitable for most living rooms.

-Max

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Max, you may have something there re dispersion off of side walls.

I have looked at the small Klipsch 500's and I could probably wedge the center into the hole, but I haven't had a good audition (Costco) of these. I'm not sure the center is a true horn or not either.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I think Linn Centrik would work for you. Crystal clear and blended extremely well with my Magnepan MG1.6's.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I'm hard of hearing as well and I'm currently using a "phantom center". It works just fine. Although I do agree center channels help tremendously, going "phantom" is better than getting a small inefficient center. (I tried that by using the Take Classic center with my RC-10 fronts. When I switched it to "phantom" it actually sounded louder than when I had the center ON.

Also, to that effect, it actually works better for me to have the center sound information divided between the two fronts that I have placed wide because of my hearing aids. Hope that helps

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiojan /forum/post/20821556

I think Linn Centrik would work for you. Crystal clear and blended extremely well with my Magnepan MG1.6's.

These have to be really rare in the US. Couldn't find much info on these, however what I could get indicated that they were taller than I could handle, maybe 5"? What is the height of yours?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi Wirejockey,

If you really struggle, let me know - maybe we can work something out regarding getting you a couple of the Celestion AVS501's I have? I know import taxes & charges are very minimal when sending stuff to the States so that leaves finding a way to get them over to you economically.

Bazzy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.