AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a Klipsch RSW-15 in a dedicated home theater room for almost 10 years. I have a 7.1 setup with a Denon 3803 and Klipsch Reference 7 series speakers.

The RSW-15 died on me after my 2 year old crossed wires or something playing behind the subwoofer. It made a loud pop and wouldn’t power on. Replaced the amp already and it now powers on and plays sound but the sound is really "dirty". As I have already spent around $350 trying to get it working again I am about to give up and just get a new subwoofer.

I have a 12X20 carpeted room. I only use it for home theater and I plan to update the Denon soon as well to one of the newer AVRs.

I was always happy with the RSW-15 for my purposes. It was very clean and I could feel the booms and explosions in the movies as you would expect.

I keep seeing the Klipsch Reference RW-12d come on sale at newegg and I am tempted to pull the trigger. I am worried I will be disappointed though going from a dual 15 to a single 12.

Any thoughts on a good sub to replace the RSW-15? I expect I can spend around $500 without feeling too guilty about giving up on trying to fix the current sub.

· Registered
1,039 Posts
The rw-12 is nothing compared to the rsw-15. They aren't even in the same league. The RSW-15 was originally $2995 when it first came out. That being said, in the $500 price range, im sure one of the offerings by hsu, outlaw, or epik, will get you what you're looking for. Have you thought about Diy? 500 goes a long ways in that dept.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was a bit concerned as well that the RW-12 would just be a disappointment. The RSW-15 was a beast and I kept it only at about 1/4 volume so was hoping maybe a lesser sub would still be OK.

I haven’t really thought about DIY. It is an interesting thought though and I may need to spend some time in that forum. In reality I already have a pretty solid cabinet still. I have been trying to figure out if I somehow blew the sub itself and that is what is causing the distorted sound. If I went down the DIY road I could start by ordering a new subwoofer and swapping out my current Klipsch to see if that fixes my issue.

I guess I can post on the DIY forum and see if anyone has any suggestions for that, unless someone here has a good thought on a good 15 sub replacement.

For HSU, Outlaw, or Epik are there any specific ones I should be looking at? I haven’t looked at subwoofers since I bought my last one 10 years ago.

· Registered
1,039 Posts
You could probably get 300-400 for that klipsch sub in it's current state. I'd add that to your $500 budget and start looking at epik empires, chase home theater 18.2. Hsu vtf-15h, chase vs-18.1. All of those would be better than the klipsch ever was in the $800-1200 price range.

· Registered
93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanroz  /t/1415160/help-finding-a-replacement-for-my-klipsch-rsw-15#post_22123303

I keep seeing the Klipsch Reference RW-12d come on sale at newegg and I am tempted to pull the trigger. I am worried I will be disappointed though going from a dual 15 to a single 12.

The RSW-15 is actually a 15in driver with a 15in passive radiator, so not really a "dual". I have the RSW-10 which has the same config but 10in driver and of course lesser amp. I have since moved on to Dual SVS in my HT and relegated the RSW-10 to my zone 2 for music only.

As others have said, the RW-12d would be a considerable downgrade from the original RSWs...

· Registered
241 Posts
Have you tried calling Klipsch to get an estimate on repairing it? I'm sure they would still service is for a fee outside of warranty and it may not be as bad as you might think. I have an RSW-10, but would have LOVED the 15 at the time (i got a real steal). I think its a great sub, and wouldn't give up all hope on it.

· Registered
133 Posts
If you can sell it for parts and make some money and then add to your budget, you might be able to get a better sub. I know there are a few RT-12D's on the Klipsch forum right now if you want to stay with Klipsch.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I am working with the company that replaced my amp back in February. Unfortunately I procrastinated too long (work got in the way) and spent time troubleshooting the issue and am now past their 90 day warranty. I am hoping they will make an exception and do something to help me out. We will see… so for the haven’t responded.

The company I am working with was who Klipsch sent me to when I told them that I thought my amp was blown. They did a swap with me as my old one didn't power up anymore. I do feel fairly confident now that my problem is the amp itself though based on troubleshooting the last week or so. I have confirmed it is not the source, the wires, or the subwoofer by trying replacements for all 3.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.