AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my uncle got the onkyo 508 receiver. I am having trouble finding the advance settings so I can tell the receiver to do trueHD,DTS, DD etc. thanks

I did do the audsessy test. that worked fine.

Jacob

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
very good questions.. it shows pcm and the chocies of some of them like neoDTS. but not trueHD, DD, etc. I have to check the player. I dont remember if I set it to bitstream or not. I will be over there tomorrow to do some fixing. its the panasonic 85.

thanks for responding.

Jacob

·
Registered
9,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 /forum/post/19558718

very good questions.. it shows pcm and the chocies of some of them like neoDTS. but not trueHD, DD, etc. I have to check the player. I dont remember if I set it to bitstream or not. I will be over there tomorrow to do some fixing. its the panasonic 85.

thanks for responding.

Jacob

For Panasonic BD player, set it to Bitstream and Secondary Audio to Off.

And also note sometimes a Blu Ray disc will default to the standard DD/DTS track (like The Dark Knight), so you might have to manually select the TrueHD/DTS-MA soundtrack. Normally this will be found under Audio or Language Setting.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am familar with that. thanks for reminding me.

I own an onkyo 605. you cna set the differnt settings for each thing like dvd, satalite, etc.

I am trying to find that on the 508.

its in the advance settings.

Jacob

·
Registered
9,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 /forum/post/19558937

I am familar with that. thanks for reminding me.

I own an onkyo 605. you cna set the differnt settings for each thing like dvd, satalite, etc.

I am trying to find that on the 508.

its in the advance settings.

Jacob

If you're talking about "Listening Mode Preset", Onkyo normally has this option in menu #5.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
It's in the player, not the receiver. If you deliver HD audio, it will decode. Just like the 605.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Is the receiver running 5.1 or 7.1? And what titles of the Blu-rays are you using?

·
Registered
9,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 /forum/post/19560618

how does one go and change things to make it go DTSHD etc?

Jacob

Maybe we are not on the same page here.

The receiver by default automatically detects and selects the format of the incoming digital signal.

TrueHD and DTSHD-MA are signal formats just like PCM, DD, DTS and MPCM (Multi-Channel PCM). And the various "Listening Modes" can be applied to these signal formats (depend on the incoming signal) to either expand 5.1 to 7.1 (if you have 7.1 setup) or to create surround effects from PCM sources. Also another note is if you play a 5.1 source, most of the listening modes can't be applied anyway.

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Set the input you are using on the Onkyo to Auto, which is the default. Set the player to Bitstream for both Dolby and DTS and set Secondary Audio to Off.

When the input is set to Auto, you do not need to assign listening modes for each audio codec. It will properly process whatever you send it - PCM, DD 5.1, DTS-HD Master Audio, analog, whatever. You would need listening modes to do added processing such as applying PLII to stereo sources. But, decoding all flavors of DD and DTS will happen regardless.

I suspect the player is set to PCM, not bitstream. The Onkyo would not report PCM if it were receiving an encoded soundtrack.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got it fixed. I did have to change the setting on the blu ray player. that was not the problem. there was a setting in hardware section of the onkyo 508 receiver that i had to changed. once I did that. I was able to get the proper DTS MA to display on the receiver.

thanks everyone for the help.

Jacob

·
Registered
9,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 /forum/post/19562940

there was a setting in hardware section of the onkyo 508 receiver that i had to changed. once I did that. I was able to get the proper DTS MA to display on the receiver.

I'm curious. What setting on the receiver was preventing it from decoding dts-MA? Also, I'm not familiar with what you are calling the "hardware section".

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander /forum/post/19563495

I'm curious. What setting on the receiver was preventing it from decoding dts-MA? Also, I'm not familiar with what you are calling the "hardware section".

The OP presumably had to turn off HDMI audio passthrough to the TV. Otherwise, the BD player or AVR read the TV EDID and forced conversion to two channel PCM.

AJ

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.