AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I haven't shopped for an audio receiver in about 6 years, and I don't know where to begin.

I currently have a JVC RX-D402 receiver, and while it handles sound quite well, my A/V needs have outgrown it.

I'm trying to hook up a PS3 (HDMI), an Xbox 360 Elite (Component video, soon to be HDMI), my cable DVR (HDMI), a Wii (Composite video/sound), and soon the output from an HTPC (HDMI). Video output needs to be HDMI to my Panasonic 42" plasma (1080p), and audio output to a 5.1 speaker system (SVS).

It would be great if the inputs included iPod/iPhone, but this isn't a requirement.

Basically, the main purpose is for gaming, followed by watching HD movies (preferrably Blu-Ray from the PS3 and HD from the cable box), and listening to music (PS3 or Xbox used as a media center). Later I'll be doing my video stuff through the HTPC I plan to build. One thing I would like to do is upconvert any standard definition inputs, but I don't know how that works.

I saw that the Onkyo TX-SR607 was on sale today (sorry, I'm not supposed to post amounts), but I don't want to buy something just because it is on sale and there are lots of threads around here about it. I honestly don't know how to go about shopping for what I need. I know what I want to do, but don't know what it will take to get there. All I know is that the Onkyo's 6 HDMI inputs is a lot more attractive than the 2 I currently have

Thanks for any input you can provide!

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
need to know your budget and room size.

based on what it looks like from your post you might look into: the denon 1910, pioneer 1019, refurb onkyo 807876 or marantz 5003/6003 (latter 2 at accessories4less), onkyo 1007

lots out there...do yo plan on doing 9.x/11.x later on? 5.1? 7.1?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Instead of the Pioneer 1019, you can wait a bit and go in for the newer models which should be out soon. The 1020 looks to be excellent.

However, if you do provide what budget you are looking at, more people could help.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, after further consideration, I am interested in the Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K receiver based on its sound quality reviews and good upconversion of standard definition inputs, but it is substantially higher in price.

Is what I want not available at a price point around where the TX-SR607 is to be found?

Edit: Sorry, I don't really have a budget, per se. I'm just trying to get the best value for my money. I would prefer not to spend more than $500, but somewhere around $350 would be ideal (though perhaps unreachable).

My room size is about 12'x18'.

Thanks!

Edit again: I don't have any plans to move beyond 5.1 for now. 7.1 at the most, but that isn't a huge concern for me. I would rather do 5.1 extremely well and have the other features I want than to have 7.x/9.x/11.x/etc...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts