AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm partially done with my first home theater project. The whole debacle is laid out in my orginal post here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/3042482-home-theater-project-speaker-dilema.html#/topics/3042482?page=1

My home theater guy turns out to be...eh less than professional. I haven't heard from him in over two weeks and is trying to gouge me. I'm looking to get it completed and mainly need the pillars and trim work done the most. Its wired, insulated, and dry walled but that's about it. I'm having a tough time finding people to finish the job. Only had one other guy show up to quote the finish and wanted a preposterous 9k. Does anybody know of anybody in the West Atlanta or Marietta region that can do the work? We've been sitting on this too long and really just want to finish it. I apologize if this is not the correct place to post but it looked like it. I have included a picture of the room as I have it now and a picture of just the type of pillars and trim style I would like. The green rectangles on the ground are for the placement of the projected pillars, 6 in total. Any help or recommendations would be great!

Attachments

·
RETIRED theater builder
33,837 Posts
9K is a bargain to turn a basic drywall box into a theater that looks like your inspirational photo. I suspect above the chair rail there is acoustical treatment and fabric. The material cost for that alone is 3 to 10k depending on the vendor of the acoustical treatments.

One of the world’s premier theater builders lives in your backyard and travels the world building award winning theaters, I’m not going to mention his name as I image your theater is a $75k plus job. That picure looks like stained hardwood molding and that alone is expensive.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That finished picture is just to get an idea of the style I like for the trim and columns. Nothing more. A few framed out columns, trim, paint and carpet for one small room should not cost anywhere near 9k imo.

·
RETIRED theater builder
33,837 Posts
Ok cheap painted materials instead of stained hardwood. You still have a lot woodwork if you want the wainscoting. If you decide to paint the walls instead of incorporating acoustical treatments your audio will be sub par.

I stand by my statement 9k is a bargain, you can probably do it for $5k if you do it all yourself and buy the cheapest carpet.

Columns are built like furniture, not framed out even if you use MDF.

·
Registered
203 Posts
That finished picture is just to get an idea of the style I like for the trim and columns. Nothing more. A few framed out columns, trim, paint and carpet for one small room should not cost anywhere near 9k imo.

I would be willing to bet that I'm one of the cheapest people on this site. But I have to agree with Big. I did a room addition of 500 sq ft on my home. The only way to really come out ahead is to do your own contracting work. You'll have to find your own carpenter, Sheetrock crew, paint crew, carpet installers, electrician, etc.

And the people with the lowest prices will be unreliable, uninsured, illegal, or worse. Addicts, felons, etc.

I now know why it's so expensive to have a room addition built. The contractor fishes through all those people, deals, with permits, stays on the people to make sure the works gets done and is acceptable. I'd imagine it's a headache of epic proportions.

On top of all that, the contractor has to front the money for the materials and pay the crews. People not paying at the end of the job is real risk and it happens. People are also hard to satisfy and will nit pick everything trying to get the cost cut down at the end.

To get a high quality contractor that only uses quality, licensed and insured help would be very expensive. You also have a smaller job and not a whole house to build. That will likely make it harder to find crews that will take the jobs without charging extra.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm new to the Alpharetta area and haven't been to this shop yet, but their online reviews all seem very positive. Maybe they can help.

Atlanta Home Theater
10140 Sway Branch Dr, Roswell, GA 30075
(770) 642-5557
https://maps.app.*******/VrabP

Please keep us posted on your progress. I've realistically got another two years before I can build my own dedicated theater, but plan to hire pros for whatever I can't DIY.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm new to the Alpharetta area and haven't been to this shop yet, but their online reviews all seem very positive. Maybe they can help.

Atlanta Home Theater
10140 Sway Branch Dr, Roswell, GA 30075
(770) 642-5557
https://maps.app.*******/VrabP

Please keep us posted on your progress. I've realistically got another two years before I can build my own dedicated theater, but plan to hire pros for whatever I can't DIY.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Thanks I'll check them out! I'll update you on the progress. I got all my speakers delivered today so I'm excited about that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keep in mind I've already spent thousands on this room for the construction. I've already had it soundproofed, all electrical ran, and dry walled to include the ceiling. As shown in the picture attached. The contractor doesn't front the money, I do. I pay a deposit for each phase and cover materials. This is a very small job so a full crew is unnecessary and can easily be completed by two. The difficult part has been finding a good contractor willing to finish a single room because there's not a large profit to be made. However I'm not ready to give up and be exploited and will find a way to get a good finished product at a reasonable price. I will keep everybody updated on my progress or struggle to make this happen but am still excited at the finished prospect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts