AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe I downloaded the wrong file for my TX-47F430S, and performed the update according to Westinghouse's site, but now the TV will not respond.


Can I replace the mainboard in the TV to fix the issue? Has anyone ever done this with this TV or another of Westinghouse's brands? Of course the TV is out of warranty and of course Westinghouse's tech support is not being very supportive.


Thanks for your help!

-jkpq45
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
I would be nervous flashing firmware that is IN warranty, much less think about flashing firmware out of warranty...


It doesn't sound like you have any experience in this area. Take it to a repair shop and see if it is salvageable, IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,348 Posts
Your out of luck, Needs to be repaired now. Don't know if its worth it either, My Westinghouse TX47 of 17 months just started acting up with green garbage on the screen, Never again, And never again will I buy one of these without a 4 year warranty. Sticking to brands that can be fixed in state as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar24 /forum/post/15572591


Your out of luck, Needs to be repaired now. Don't know if its worth it either, My Westinghouse TX47 of 17 months just started acting up with green garbage on the screen, Never again, And never again will I buy one of these without a 4 year warranty. Sticking to brands that can be fixed in state as well.

Cool--I'm OK with repairs, I just need to know what needs to be repaired. Does anyone have any experience?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkpq45 /forum/post/15573345


Cool--I'm OK with repairs, I just need to know what needs to be repaired. Does anyone have any experience?

They have the boards on eBay, Video Controller for $40 ,main board for $100. Make sure on the main board though as the picture they show shows the vga port on the opposite side that mine is on so not sure they didnt make different revs. I would guess the firmware would be on the main board but I'm just guessing on that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got a pretty positive response from Westinghouse tech support:


"If the motherboard and v-chip are both replaced, functionality will be

restored to your unit. If necessary, I can send along the service manual

for this unit. Let me know if that's something you'd like to have.


If the unit was purchased as a refurbished item, it would be out of

warranty at this point so I can't do anything as far as the warranty is

concerned, but I'm happy to do whatever else I can to assist you!"


Is the "v-chip" the video controller board? Or is it something socketed/soldered onto the mainboard?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkpq45 /forum/post/15573633


I got a pretty positive response from Westinghouse tech support:


"If the motherboard and v-chip are both replaced, functionality will be

restored to your unit. If necessary, I can send along the service manual

for this unit. Let me know if that's something you'd like to have.


If the unit was purchased as a refurbished item, it would be out of

warranty at this point so I can't do anything as far as the warranty is

concerned, but I'm happy to do whatever else I can to assist you!"


Is the "v-chip" the video controller board? Or is it something socketed/soldered onto the mainboard?

My best guess would be that its the video controller board, I was going to try this but not sure if my problem might be a bad panel itself. Really don't want to waste $140 if it wont fix my problem. and looking at the boards on eBay they don't match my unit because of the move of the VGA port. I don't think you can get the parts any other way as I don't think Westinghouse will sell them to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You and I have totally separate issues. I've performed a bad firmware update and my TV won't turn on. Your LCD panel/video controller/gremlin is giving you green gobs on the screen. I haven't heard a solution for your problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkpq45 /forum/post/15573817


You and I have totally separate issues. I've performed a bad firmware update and my TV won't turn on. Your LCD panel/video controller/gremlin is giving you green gobs on the screen. I haven't heard a solution for your problem.

Yea I realize that but they probably both need the same fix, New main board and video board. Although I think mine would not be a for sure fix as it could be the panel itself, I would think if you bought the boards you probably would be good to go as long as the boards you buy off eBay are OK.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top